Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

Toilet Selections and Fitment

Hi all! We got into RV'ing about two months ago and love it. I've been able to update a few things to make it more like home and comfortable.

The only thing I am having a problem with right now is the toilet. There's currently a low Thetford Aqua-Magic IV in the bathroom. I'd like to get something to replace it. My current choice is the Dometic 320 (high).

The problem that I have is that behind the toilet (bottom) is an 11.5" high and 7" deep "shelf" that hides the heater ducting, grey water plumbing, and misc electrical.

With the Thetford, the distance from that back wall is a little less than 7". But the top portion clearance (above 11.5") is about 14". I know the bottom of these toilets are "thinner" but the actual dimensions are not provided. Does anyone know if the 320 would fit? If not, is there any alternative options? I'd like a ceramic bowl, standard height, and foot flush.

Thank you for your help!
KZVanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think the dimensions you need are in the 310/320 owner manual. There is a diagram on page 3 Figure 3 and dimensions on pages 5-6.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-...ies_manual.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never replaced a toilet so can't help with that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #4

I replaced an AquaMagic toilet with a Dometic 310. I also have a small shelf behind the toilet. The shelf is only 7" high and 6" from the wall. The inlet hose for the 310 sits around 5" from the floor. I had to cut a slot in the vertical and horizontal part of the shelf to get it to fit. Luckily, I only had cold and hot water lines and a heater duct behind it.

The Dometic toilet is so much better. Feels like a real toilet. Also like that the lid can't be slammed down.

I also bought the Thetford (28962) Waterline Exterior Kit from amazon. The flexible hose made it a little easier to install.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
I replaced an AquaMagic toilet with a Dometic 310. I also have a small shelf behind the toilet. The shelf is only 7" high and 6" from the wall. The inlet hose for the 310 sits around 5" from the floor. I had to cut a slot in the vertical and horizontal part of the shelf to get it to fit. Luckily, I only had cold and hot water lines and a heater duct behind it.

How much clearance is left? Do you think I'd be able to fit it in with 11.5" high and 7" from back of wall? The 310 is my second choice, I think the only difference is the elongated bowl.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think the dimensions you need are in the 310/320 owner manual. There is a diagram on page 3 Figure 3 and dimensions on pages 5-6.

I checked the manual. It doesn't have the dimension for the empty space that's behind the toilet. None of the toilets do. I may have to send them a email to see if they can provide me the spec.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZVanh View Post
How much clearance is left? Do you think I'd be able to fit it in with 11.5" high and 7" from back of wall? The 310 is my second choice, I think the only difference is the elongated bowl.
The 11.5 height will not be a problem. The 7 from the wall will be closer than mine. The inlet hose will definitely be inside the 7 inches. I suppose that distance could be different for you depending on where exactly your sewer drain sits. Hopefully, the attached pics can help. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180703_180124.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	209482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180703_180129.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	209483

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

I replaced a Thetford Aurora toilet with a Dometic 320 earlier this year and faced similar issues as shown in Brad's photo, though mine is mounted at an angle to the backing wall, so I don't know if my measurements would help you. I will say though that in my case it is a little closer than ideal as the lid hits the backing wall just before it would have hit the built in stop on the base, making it so one has to sit slightly more upright than intended.

I am also dealing with a cabinet door where spare toilet paper and black tank supplies are stored next to the toilet that does not clear the higher seat lid on the Dometic 320, though it will just barely open with the lid, but not the seat lifted.

Overall I feel the Dometic 320 is a far more comfortable toilet than the old Thetford Aurora, my only complaint is I don't care for the single, two stage push pedal, as it is easy to press too far when trying to refill water and accidentally dump the water you just added.

One other thing you need to be aware of is that Thetford toilets are usually mounted with mounting bolts at 11 and 5 o'clock vs 9 and 3 on Dometics, which may require you to re-engineer the toilet mounting flange. I say usually as my Thetford was thankfully mounted with bolts at 9 and 3, Dometic style.

p.s. since we are showing toilet photos, here is mine just after I installed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic320.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	209511  
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
One other thing you need to be aware of is that Thetford toilets are usually mounted with mounting bolts at 11 and 5 o'clock vs 9 and 3 on Dometics, which may require you to re-engineer the toilet mounting flange. I say usually as my Thetford was thankfully mounted with bolts at 9 and 3, Dometic style.

I think mines are 9 and 3. Glad to know because that would have been one more problem to deal with. Thanks!

That 320 with the elongated bowl does look comfortable!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
The 11.5 height will not be a problem. The 7 from the wall will be closer than mine. The inlet hose will definitely be inside the 7 inches. I suppose that distance could be different for you depending on where exactly your sewer drain sits. Hopefully, the attached pics can help.

Wow. Those photos helps a lot!!! Thank you so much. I like the cut out idea, and it looks like the toilet does not get wide until over 16". I might try fitting the 320 in! I'll also have to find a way to make the top of the "shelf" movable/flipable so I can tinker if necessary without removing so much. Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #11

I was going to buy and try an 320 but most places locally only takes return for new and unopened items.

Before I pull the trigger can anyone with a 320 provide me with the measurements of:

A to B
B to C
B to D

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #12

I will try to get those for you tomorrow if no one else posts with them first
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #13

As you can see from my photo I don't have much side access so had to feel for the 3 o'clock mounting stud and I have a hose fitting screwed onto the male pipe connection so these measurements are approximate, but should be within about 1/4 inch.

A-B 6 inches
B-C 5.5 inches
B-D 11.75 inches

p.s. I bought mine from PPL in Houston, they had the best prices when I bought mine in February ($198.99 delivered bone color with sprayer) , though shipping was a bit slow they estimated 3 days and it was closer to 3 weeks.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

As you can see from my photo I don't have much side access so had to feel for the 3 o'clock mounting stud and I have a hose fitting screwed onto the male pipe connection so these measurements are approximate, but should be within about 1/4 inch.

A-B 6 inches
B-C 5.5 inches
B-D 11.75 inches

p.s. I bought mine from PPL in Houston, they had the best prices when I bought mine in February ($198.99 delivered bone color with sprayer) , though shipping was a bit slow they estimated 3 days and it was closer to 3 weeks.

Isaac thanks! You've been such great help! Now time to see if it'll fit...

Tags
toilet