Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Too hot/cold in cabin when driving?

We went to visit our friends Mary and Bob, and we mentioned that we are now heading into the snow in Colorado to go skiing.

We got to talk about how the dash heating/cooling sometimes is not all that efficient, because we are trying to heat/cool the whole 40' RV from the dash system.

Bob had a solution which we haven't tried yet, but that we certainly will try while going to Colorado. Bob solution is simple, but sometimes the simple solutions are the best.

Here it is:

Once the front slides are pulled in, the gab between the slides is less than 4'. Put a broom stick or similar on top of the slides, spanning from one slide to the other. You can secure the broom with spring loaded clamps or the like. Hang a blanket from the broomstick thereby creating a "wall" between the drivers area and the rest of the RV. You have now turned the drivers area into a "separate room" that is much smaller than before, and for that reason your dash heating/cooling system will be a lot more efficient.

We admit that we haven't tried this ourselves, but we will do in just over a weeks time when we start travelling into the cold. We have high hopes for the "experiment", and we can't see why it shouldn't work a treat. Time will tell.

The Great Dane
2007 Monaco Diplomat PAQ - 2007 Saturn Vue Honorary Texas Boomer
Living in Denmark - visiting the US whenever possible. www.winnebago.dk www.blog.retired.dk

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
For sure it get's cold in the MH when traveling, we just turn the furance on and when real cold start generator and use our space heaters. Your going to want to warm up the entire 40 when you stop anyway so why not along the way?

no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
I just turn on the front furnace.
1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36T Diesel Pusher
Zoafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did that same thing in the 60's in our 'hippy-dippy' vans...

Actually had two curtains -
one behind the drivers seat and one in front of the bed in the back

BUT, not knowing where you are going...
we didn't need to be concerned about anything freezing in the back if in TOO cold a climate !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spring loaded shower curtain rod (plastic) from Walmart works great.
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Me to

I put a closet rod across the rig behind the driver and passenger seats and hung a drape from it. I don't do cold but this helps keep me cool in hot weather as the dash air has less to cool.

I also leave it up when it is hot so the cabin A/C has less to cool seems to work okay. I didn't come up with the idea I've seen it around with full timers all over.

Happy Trails
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"
-- Mark Twain
Kayjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Used the curtain solution in the class C worked great until we got where we were going and found the rest of the RV to be way too cold or way too hot.

IN the class A we run the furnace or the AC as appropriate. Much happier when we arrive and the entire MH is at a comfortable temp.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Used the curtain solution in the class C worked great until we got where we were going and found the rest of the RV to be way too cold or way too hot.

IN the class A we run the furnace or the AC as appropriate. Much happier when we arrive and the entire MH is at a comfortable temp.
Ditto on the too cold / hot rear part of the m/h, now we just open the bathroom roof vent. This causes enough air flow down the back to keep it pretty close to the same temp. as the cab.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Since we tend to travel during some 'cooler' temps, we run the house heat in the coach. It is nice to have the entire coach warm when you stop to take a break. As far as keping the coach cool during the warmer temps, well we will have to figure that one out.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
We carry a Caframo electric heater that has 3 heat settings and can run off our 2000 watt inverter to help keep the back of the motorhome warm. That way we aren't using up the propane, until it gets cold enough to need the furnace.

It's a really nice little heater I'd highly recommend for any RV'r. It's flat, so it practically can't tip over, and doesn't take up much room.

Not cheap but, you get what you pay for!

We used it this last weekend on a little 400 mile weekend trip down the Oregon coast. It was around 42 -45 degrees outside most of the time and I kept the heater on the 900 watt setting so I didn't need to run the dash heat on high.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna

I found that for cold weather travel setting the heater to defrost in the class C would heat up the rest of the unit. The good side was it saved propane--the bad side was that the furnace didn't run and fresh water system freeze ups would happen. I solved this by replacing the return air grill for the area that houses the furnace with dual window fans that are controlled by a mechanical thermostat. Happily this also produced just a bit of air flow through the furnace duct work.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.
Pianotuna is offline   Reply With Quote