Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
I never leave home without a small arsenal of cordless tools you never know you can pull in and every thing is perfect. I have a small craftsman tool kit that is a life saver. Several years ago we were 200 miles from home when my sons rear drive train went out luck would have it we had been camping at our hunting camp and found all the parts and changed it there. Saved our a$$ more than once.

inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspecterbak
I never leave home without a small arsenal of cordless tools you never know you can pull in and every thing is perfect. I have a small craftsman tool kit that is a life saver. Several years ago we were 200 miles from home when my sons rear drive train went out luck would have it we had been camping at our hunting camp and found all the parts and changed it there. Saved our a$$ more than once.
Your story contains a great example of why, when going full time, I will carry more than I may be capable of using myself. That is to say "other people". You never know when someone else may be in need or you may be and someone else is will be able to lend a helping hand. And then there are all the good folks here that are willing to help see you through something you didn't even know you could do.

I'm currently building my road tool box to include SAE and metric standard and deep, 6 and 12 point sockets - 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drives etc, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. Also hack saw and blades and some other things for plumbing and electrical. The usual suspects so to speak. I haven't put it all together yet but I have the room and capacity so why not. I will be prepared for more than I think I will need (like the 2 lbs of go to tools someone mentioned) and be be ready to lend a hand or tool to another in need or put on the learning cap a do some things I didn't know I could.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #17

I have a good set of tools for farm eqpt. A set for collector cars and have been accumulating a practical set for the DP. They are in different shops and I get them mixed too often. Life is too complicated. I carry only basic hand tools, duct tape, lock tite and a tube of metal set (also a little bailing wire). Also the cordless screwdriver and a large cordless light. I carry a good voltmeter, and infrared temp sensor. If this kit does not get me to the destination, that is what the cell phone is for. I carried a similar kit for 30+ years flying helicopters and I have some stories to tell.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines
I have a good set of tools for farm eqpt. A set for collector cars and have been accumulating a practical set for the DP. They are in different shops and I get them mixed too often. Life is too complicated. I carry only basic hand tools, duct tape, lock tite and a tube of metal set (also a little bailing wire). Also the cordless screwdriver and a large cordless light. I carry a good voltmeter, and infrared temp sensor. If this kit does not get me to the destination, that is what the cell phone is for. I carried a similar kit for 30+ years flying helicopters and I have some stories to tell.
There has to be a place here somewhere for those stories! Would love to hear em.

Going full time has us throwing things overboard and tools are a little harder to toss or sell (for me anyway) than clothes and books etc. Trying to find the right balance in this situation is tough. Glad I have a year or so to go - but on the other hand would leave tomorrow if I could. Retirement is just around the bend and lots to so to be ready.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
I forgot to mention if your neighbor has a problem ask if you can assist never know you might need the favor returned someday.
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #20

One of my "must have" tools is a strap wrench to install the spare fuel filters that I carry. A dirty fuel filter can leave you at the side of the road.

Have a nice day - Darre;
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #21

I have just received my new Aluma trailer in December after ordering in October. I specked it with a matching spare tire on aluminum wheel. So now I need to add a break over bar and maybe spinner wrench wrench along with a two ton bottle jack to my on board tool kit. What good is a spare tire if you can't put it on? I refuse to carry a torque wrench as I can get close enough to the 120 FPT by just using feel. Or till I can get home and get the flat repaired. But I just got a brainstorm. How about a electric impact gun. Would come in very handy for a flat tire, or lord only knows what else. I could do the cheap handling fix in campgrounds for people for fun! There is no end to the amount of tools you could carry, only limiter by the amount of space you have and the extra weight you want to carry. I just have a small amount of most of the basics now and I am probably over a hundred pounds already. The pounds add up fast. Another idea, maybe I should weight my rig next time out when she is full of fuel, fresh water and propane with the toad on the trailer, gasses up also and ready to go. I probably have over twenty pounds of guns and amo in the mh and toad combined. Just more tools I guess! I really have no idea how much everything will weigh.