Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

Tool Recommendation

Hello, New to RVing. I am looking for some help on recommended must have tools for the RV. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Pat & Julie
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #2

I bought a multi-tool kit from a marine supply store that has been a God-send. It has everything from tape measure to a ratchet set. One thing that you need to make sure you have are screwdriver heads that support the square style (not sure the proper name) screw heads. Many RVs use those instead of phillips or straight slots. Also a VOM meter is great to have for trouble shooting electrical issues.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Most big box store (Lowes or Home Depot) have ~100 peice tool kits that will get you started. Probably a set of open end wreches, both SAE & metric would be handy. Electrical multi meter for checking circuits is a must. Misc assortment of nuts, botls, screws, electrical connectors and tape would be worth carrying. A battery operated drill is also handy and a set of drivers for the different sizes.

Over the years I've outfitted my rig with a complete set of tools so I don't have to transfer from the house.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Only carry the tools you know how to use - no point in carrying a 100 piece mechanics set if your skills run to a screwdriver and pliers. I would suggest, though, that you get a cheap digital VOM (aka voltmeter) and learn how to use it to display AC Voltage & DC voltage and use the Ohm scale to show short and open circuits. Battery and wiring problems are common. I'd also carry one of those plug-in outlet testers.

Basic hand tools are enough for most RV owners. Screwdrivers (include Philips, square and Torx bits), adjustable open end wrench or a set of metric & SAE open ends, slip-joint pliers, putty knife, and a basic hex key set (metric & SAE sizes). You can buy specific tools as needed - a hardware store or Walmart is usually not far.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motang View Post
Hello, New to RVing. I am looking for some help on recommended must have tools for the RV. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Pat & Julie
Pat & Julie,
Tools, in the eyes of Rv'ers, means many different items. Each skill level of each individual owner, can and quite possibly dictate as to what to load up with, for your tool armory. The problem with suggestions that you carry a limited amount of tools, as in less than the "boxed" larger (100-200 piece) kits, might be off some. Even if you have limited knowledge in repair and maintenance, you may be offered help in any given situation where you were broke down or, having an issue at a campground etc. and, if you have a fair assortment of tools, that person who's offering help, might be able to get you back on the road or, repair your issue, due to you having maybe one of these kits.

As has been stated in multiple other threads about tool assortments, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware etc. all have "kits" like, 100, 200 and 300 piece kits that have a decent array of general socket sets with related components, wrenches, pliers, Allen wrenches, Metric and SAE and more. If I hadn't already amassed my zillion lb. tool box in our coach, I'd head for one of those kits in a heart beat.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

Screw drivers, pliers, VOM, adjustable wrench. Lug wrench or socket, extension and large breaker bar for your wheels. 10 ton bottle jack. Above this like others have mentioned tools depend on your abilities. I carried enough tools to do almost all repairs to my RV. Oh yea, cordless drill and a set of drills, and bits. Whit what I carried I could do everything
From changing a tire to replacing a microwave to changing breakers at the pedistal.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I took most of the tools out of my roll around tool box, then supplemented it with 100 and 300 piece kits from HF. Will be paring that down in the future. I even have 5 torque wrenches.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree wish most of the comments I would suggest a added note would be even if you are not competent with the tools someone willing to help with a problem would have access to your tools and Harbor Freight is a good source.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #9

Look for a socket and wrench set in a molded case it makes it much easier to be sure you have all your tools when your done. I also carry a small kit with small 1/4" sockets and a multi bit screw driver set inside for quick repairs.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #10

Star with doing routine maintenance tasks and see what tools you use to do them. Then find a tool box (or bag) that fits in a convenient storage place in the RV. Keep all those tools in the RV. Every time you work on the RV, use only the tools in that bag. If you need something else, add it and keep in the RV. You will wind up with everything you need and nothing that you don't.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #11

It really depends on the type of RV and your mechanical abilities. In my case with a 17 year old gas class A I find 80-90% of my tasks can be accomplished with a $75 socket wrench combo set from a big box store, a multi meter, a set of pliers, a couple of good adjustable wrenches and wire splicing tools.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #12

This is my travel tool box

The non-tool items are just as important
  • Electrical tape
  • Gorilla tape
  • Self-amalgamating tape (yellow)
  • Several sizes of nylon zip ties
  • Several sizes of stainless steel hose clamps
  • Wire (white)
  • Stainless steel safety wire or "bailing" wire

Not shown
  • Can of light oil (3-in-1)
  • Can of silicon lube
  • Silicone dielectric grease

I bought some of it used, and all of it on eBay. Less than $200 including the digital multi meter.

A jack and a jack stand are a MUST have !

3 Ton All in One Bottle Jack and Jack Stand

Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #13

I use my 12V Milwaukee battery drill / driver more than any other tool I carry.
2nd on my list would be a digital VOM meter *** with a DC clamp on Ammeter ***
many are AC only so check carefully for DV Amps clamp on - very useful for troubleshooting MANY systems, appliances, etc
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 PM   #14

I went the Hazard Fraught route for the RV: https://www.harborfreight.com/301-pc...set-63457.html

And a 18v Lithium Makita impact and drill plus a multimeter.

Normally I’m Wera/Snap On/Mac for anything I actually plan on using in anger but this set has gotten me out a number of tight spots.
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote