Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #15

I didn't get the jist that he was asking about buying used, as that would open pandoras box like some have done. There is just way too many variables if you are lumping used ones into the mix.

So based on his original question and parameters my opinion would be:

Newmar
Tiffin
Winnebago

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #16

In the price range you're considering I would definitely include Winnebago. We're on our second Adventurer and have had very few problems with quality, amenities, and service. We put over 100,000 miles on our 2001 Adventurer before trading it in on our 2013 model. We now have a little over 26,000 miles on the new one.

If you're considering used keep in mind anything more than 6 to 8 years old will probably have entertainment systems that will need to be upgraded for the digital format. There may also be other expenses beyond the initial purchase price such as new tires.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
When buying new, year to year, manufacturer almost means nothing....

Like for instance the nice gentlemen who just bought a brand new Winnie only to have his fridge come loose and fly across the thing in a turn.

New is always a crap-shoot, and no one could pinpoint the top 3 manufactures or a 150k unit. As 150K new, you're ALWAYS taking a chance.

To mean that manu's that had great units for years past, all of sudden one year... the model you buy... has some issues.

Not sure I saw if the OP has identified between DP or Gas....

But I'm in the camp of quality, gently used, high end DP. LOT'S of them at 150k and under.

The beauty of buying used is, at least here, you will always find a wealth of knowledge from current owners of that exact model, year, make, engine, transmission, door, windows, steps, slide out motors, slide out tracks and rollers, breaker boxes, fuse panels, leaks, roofs, tanks, doors, and so on.

Until one has operated one of these machines for at least some appreciable time, I think it's difficult to fully grasp the gravity of ALL the situations.

For instance, a buddy with a Forest River Berkshire, 2012, excellent coach... weird problem... steps extend and retract whenever they want, even while driving.

It's not just the coach you're buying, it's systems upon systems upon systems... all the way down to a magnetic switch in the door that is either normally open or normally closed...... different between makes and years.... Now multiply that by 1000 and boom, you got yourself a coach.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Of mfg'ers building new in that prices range, those who have the track record are (alphabetical order) Newmar, Tiffin, & Winnebago.
Not bias because we own a Winnebago, we also really like the Newmar's. Maybe next time.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #19

Well said plasma
Old 04-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe I missed it, but surprised Lazy Daze or Born Free Class "C" MH's haven't been mentioned. I don't think I have ever heard a bad word about either.

I have only seen them at the Tampa Suprshow, but they sure looked well built, and high quality to me.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #21

Here's a site where owners rate their RVs.
RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models
Old 04-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Well said plasma
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 04-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Maybe I missed it, but surprised Lazy Daze or Born Free Class "C" MH's haven't been mentioned. I don't think I have ever heard a bad word about either.

I have only seen them at the Tampa Suprshow, but they sure looked well built, and high quality to me.
X2!

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin

Tags
motorhome