Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Top 3 Motorhome Manufacturers

Hi All,

My question to all of you out here is based on facts and personal experience what is in you opinion The Top 3 Motorhome Manufactures. Here are the guidelines for the discussion.
1, The Motorhome can either be a Class A or C
2, The price point when new or purchased used cannot be more than $150,000
3, The question is based on the Manufactures reputation, customer service, and quality of build from the chassis to the frame work.
I'm not looking at the flashiness or the extra bells and whistles of the MH I'm more concerned with the overall quality and durability so that the MH will last when given proper maintenance for years to come.
In my opinion there is nothing better than the personal experience of others and learning from doing but unfortunately this is a pricey investment and I need to make the best informed decision that I can the first time. So this goes out to any and all of you please help me make a good decision based upon your experience not hear say so that I can jump ahead in the life experience learning curve and make an informed decision.

Thank you All in advanced!!!!

Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We belonged to a club, there were only 12 MH's, of those there were six Newmars, one Newell, my parents Foretravel and some others. When it came time to our "last" motorhome we were well acquainted with Newmars so that's what we ended up with, then we traded it for another one!
The thing we like about Newmar is the quality plus the fact that they usually will modify it to fit your wants. On this one we had walls and doors removed, counters from a Mountain Aire and other upgrades.
I'd buy another if we ever get another one.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmann View Post
2, The price point when new or purchased used cannot be more than $150,000

I thought you were looking for info re. current manufacturers of new rigs in a certain price range.

How can one compare a brand new $150,000.00 rig with a used Prevost at the same price????

Apples and oranges, if you ask me...
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

The best one is the one your spouse likes.

They all have ups and downs, some have better dealers on service, some go back to factory for service more than others. $150,000 will keep you our of the "high end" HM unless they are used. Our new HM spend more time at dealer then camping for the first year but now more time on the road then anything else. Takes time to work the bugs out. Good luck in finding the right HM
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
reputation, customer service, and quality of build
Of mfg'ers building new in that prices range, those who have the track record are (alphabetical order) Newmar, Tiffin, & Winnebago.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are many used, good Newmars DP's or gas on the market for under $150,000.
Just Google them and you will find.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Provost, foretravel, and newmar
Old 04-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Winnebago, Newmar, Fleetwood all Class A's and gas jobs.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

For that $150k, buy an older, high-end model to get better quality materials and better build details (the stuff under the covers you can't see easily).

At a given price point for a new rig, there won't be a lot of difference in overall quality. They all build in pretty much the same fashion, using industry standard appliances, systems, and techniques. The components come from the same suppliers, e.g. chassis, a/c, furnace, water heater, etc. A given model or year might have a problem due to a mistake or misjudgement in production, but that's mostly chance. And all the manufacturers make their share of mistakes, either in design or production. They all produce their share of lemons.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
For that $150k, buy an older, high-end model to get better quality materials and better build details (the stuff under the covers you can't see easily).

At a given price point for a new rig, there won't be a lot of difference in overall quality. They all build in pretty much the same fashion, using industry standard appliances, systems, and techniques. The components come from the same suppliers, e.g. chassis, a/c, furnace, water heater, etc. A given model or year might have a problem due to a mistake or misjudgement in production, but that's mostly chance. And all the manufacturers make their share of mistakes, either in design or production. They all produce their share of lemons.
Well said and true
Old 04-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
The best one is the one your spouse likes.
Best reply ever......
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
As will be the case with most others posting to this thread, I consider the coach I bought to be the best. In my case, it was a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire.

I did look at a number of other good quality rigs including Monaco, Country Coach, and more but one of the seldom mentioned big advantages in favor of Newmar is that the original company is still in business.

Some friends of ours have a beautiful 45 ft Country Coach, or at least it was until they picked up a large piece of road debris one day that took our a front tire which in turn resulted approximately $50K worth of damage. Getting the front cap repaired and some of the required parts was a horrendous task without the assistance of the builder and their parts supply.

In my case, I needed a replacement circuit board one day. A phone call to Newmar and about a $200 charge on my credit card and I was good to go. What do you do to replace something like a custom built circuit board if the vendor is no longer in business?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

Most of us haven't been able to try a handful of brands and I would guess feel that what we own now is the best RV to get

For those that have used multiple brands often times they are 10-20 + years apart in age thus not a good comparison. For me travco (67), sports coach (77), Georgia Boy (85), rexall (97), Bounder (08) ... Probably not surprising that the Bounder was the best.

New you will get gas coach level of quality. Cheaper cabnets, low towing rating and the list goes on...

Used you could go from a new Fleetwood Excursion to a old Prevost, American Eagle and the list goes on. Totally depends on what you want
Old 04-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When we purchased our MH I established the following criteria:
Chassis: Freightliner because of the extensive manufacturing support network in North America. All MH require maintenance and repairs as you travel.

Coach: Winnebago again because of the support network. In this case you are able to order body panels and coach parts form Winnebago. I my case this was needed when I was in an accident in British Columbia, Canada. My MH was derivable so I left it at Winnebago for repairs on my way home to NY. They had to make a new front fiberglass panel plus other damage. The repair was 6 weeks for a total of 15K.

I wanted a diesel for long distance and mountainous driving with a Towd.

After we satisfied the above criteria my wife would approve the MH layout.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome