Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Top 3 Sources of LP Leak?

Had a mobile RV guy out a week or so ago. Tested the LP system and advised that we have a very small leak somewhere. It's been too dang wet to crawl around under the coach checking things out so hoping experienced RV'rs might suggest the top 3 likeliest source of the leak.

We have standard frig, water heater, stove and 2 furnaces.

Got a bottle of soapy water ready to go if it dries out a bit. Heading south in 3 weeks....thank you.

PS: Anyone ever used that little LP sniffer you can buy and is it worth it?
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a spray bottle of soapy water. I use bubble bath soap. I use either the spray or stream depending upon where or how far I have to reach to get to the section I want to test.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #3

#1 Fill Valve #2 Shutoff Valve Stem #3 Wherever someone worked last. If you have a quick connect fitting for a grill, that becomes #2.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Each time we had this problem, the leak was solved by replacing the propane regulator.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Naa #1 source of propane leaks does not likely apply to this case but it is the stove.. yup, accidently turning a burner on just a little bit is #1
Old 11-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

Check the value right at the tank .. Try opening it all the way OPEN, versus partially open, to see if that stops the leak.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Propane smell inside - check the oven pilot light.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

WELL I FOUND THE LEAK....at least one leak. There may be more but lets focus on the one I found. Could you some expertise.....

The leak is at one of the furnaces. Suburban furnace. Access is via panel on passenger side in front of rear tires. There is a piece of pipe about 6 " or so long and one of the fittings is leaking. Just to the left of the squirrel cage blower. Pretty tight space.

Question would be does the entire unit need to come out and if so how tough a job? Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions. I am taking the MH in next week to have chassis lube and brake flush and they might be able to handle the job, but curious as what this might entail. Thanks....
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #9

You are dealing with 1/2 lb. PSI (11 inches water column). It shouldn't take much tightening to stop the leak. You just gotta find a way to hold both ends of the connection.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You are dealing with 1/2 lb. PSI (11 inches water column). It shouldn't take much tightening to stop the leak. You just gotta find a way to hold both ends of the connection.
Thanks Ray...I actually think the leak is pretty small but there is just very little room to get any tool in there to tighten the fitting. I would think the furnace unit should slide right out once some screws are removed.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My pressure regulator was leaking, but that was a BIG leak! Emptied all my LP out the regulator vent!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
My pressure regulator was leaking, but that was a BIG leak! Emptied all my LP out the regulator vent!
My last failed pressure regulator was also a BIG leak! Really scared us!
The previous pressure regulator had a very, very tiny leak. It was really impossible to find. We kept smelling propane, and wondering where our propane was going. I kept the propane valve turned off until we needed to use the propane. Finally I replaced that pressure regulator, and the problem was solved!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yeah, I was hoping it was the regulator but it's at the furnace. Somebody said if I shut off the propane, turned the furnace on and burned off any residual fuel, I might be able to lay down a bit of solder since the leak is so small....

Maybe?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #14

NO!

First post a photo so we can see what we are dealing with.

The pressure is very low so solving may not be too difficult...maybe just tear the fitting down and replace seals or retape it.

Tags
leak