Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Totally Screwed Up

I decided yesterday to give the rig a complete wash and wax. I washed it and got all the bugs and dirt off. Used McGuires paste wax/cleaner. Front cap came out fantastic. Moved over to the side today and basicly did the same as yesterday. My rig is brown on the bottom and white above that. When I applied the wax on the brown it came out fantastic, but when I applied it to the white portions it came out all blotchy and dull. No amount of rubbing or using the orbital buffer will remove it or make it shine. I followed the directions on the can, etc. Not sure what to do, guess I will have to get some kind of wax remover and strip it off. Bad, thing I did the whole side and didn't really notice it, until my neighbor said something. Any suggestions, on how to get the wax off...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Be carefull using a orbital buffer on fiberglass. Dont hold it in one place, or use much pressure.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
I decided yesterday to give the rig a complete wash and wax. I washed it and got all the bugs and dirt off. Used McGuires paste wax/cleaner. Front cap came out fantastic. Moved over to the side today and basicly did the same as yesterday. My rig is brown on the bottom and white above that. When I applied the wax on the brown it came out fantastic, but when I applied it to the white portions it came out all blotchy and dull. No amount of rubbing or using the orbital buffer will remove it or make it shine. I followed the directions on the can, etc. Not sure what to do, guess I will have to get some kind of wax remover and strip it off. Bad, thing I did the whole side and didn't really notice it, until my neighbor said something. Any suggestions, on how to get the wax off...

Hi Joe,

Any good car wash soap (Meguiars, Mothers, Eagle One, etc...) mixed a little stronger than package recommendations will do the trick and you can then start over with a clean canvas. You might have some micro-marring that's causing some of the cloudiness or dull look. That will require a little more elbow grease to buff out and look shiney again. That's a whole nother process. Hope this helps.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brown bottom is paint & white top is gel coat.

Meguiars recommend these products for a RV.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rejex sells a cleaner called Xtreme Clean to remove all the old wax before applying Rejex.

I haven't used it since I have applied Rejex since the coach was new but their products usually work as advertised.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best information you got was from post #4. You are dealing with two different surfaces one with paint and probably clear coat and your gel-coat. The get coat will not respond the same as the other surface, but you already know that. Be careful how you proceed from this point. You could make the gel coat even thinner and less likely to shine if not careful. Try different products in areas that are not to visible until you find something that will respond. Since your coach is a 2000 model it's had a lot of UV and weather. So keep in mind that the gel coat won't ever be as nice as the area with the paint.

TeJay
Old 10-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Brown bottom is paint & white top is gel coat.

Meguiars recommend these products for a RV.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
You should check out the threads on Red Max #3 or Zep High Traffic Floor Coating. It works and lasts longer than auto wax. Many boat owners also do it on their chalking fiberglass hulls. Read the prep details using TSP and Bar Keepers Friend to prepare gel coat.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You should check out the threads on Red Max #3 or Zep High Traffic Floor Coating. It works and lasts longer than auto wax. Many boat owners also do it on their chalking fiberglass hulls. Read the prep details using TSP and Bar Keepers Friend to prepare gel coat.
X2 as above

The TSP (tri sodium phosphate if I remember my ACE Hardware days) will take the wax off.

Get it at any good hardware, HD, Lowes etc..
Get the Zep there also, look up some of the threads here on applying it properly, 5 coats with a white micro fiber cloth, LIGHT COATS.

Picture below is my wife finishing up our 1996, been on for 15 months now still looks the same. Double click picture for better look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	47855  
Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

orbital buffer should really only be used one time every 4 to 5 years cuting the paint down just kills the clear coat

after doing it many time your wax is now the clear coat
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #11

Thanks for all the tips. Am going down to the local hardware store and see if they have TCP, if not there is a Home Depot close. Also the buffer I am using is one of those little cheap round ones that Wally World and elsewhere sell for 29.95. It don't spin fast enough or is heavy enough to burn the wax off or hurt the paint. I have used one of these on other RV's and vehicles and never had a problem. I think the white area had never been waxed before and had oxidized badly. Again thanks for the tip..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
WOW Brock - that thing is SHINY !!!!

Can you send her over to our storage area ?!? Will pay a dollar two ninety eight
Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
Thanks for all the tips. Am going down to the local hardware store and see if they have TCP, if not there is a Home Depot close. Also the buffer I am using is one of those little cheap round ones that Wally World and elsewhere sell for 29.95. It don't spin fast enough or is heavy enough to burn the wax off or hurt the paint. I have used one of these on other RV's and vehicles and never had a problem. I think the white area had never been waxed before and had oxidized badly. Again thanks for the tip..
Better ask for TSP, trisodium phosphate which used to be a major ingredient in soaps and detergents before we were concerned about water pollution. It is very alkaline and should be used with protective gloves and eyewear.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
WOW Brock - that thing is SHINY !!!!

Can you send her over to our storage area ?!? Will pay a dollar two ninety eight

Sure! She is kinda naggy and grumpy but a hard worker, and doesn't eat much.

Tags
scr