Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #1

I just ordered a 32 gallon Tote Along tank from Camping World. I'll need it in September when we stay in a Long Island campground for 11 days with no sewer hookup, only a dump station. Since we are now fulltimers now I'm sure I'll need it from time to time anyway.

My question is to anyone who owns one of these Tote Alongs: Where do you store it when going down the road?

I have no room in my basements. I was thinking about the rear ladder or on top of our tow car.

Any suggestions?

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #2

I just ordered a 32 gallon Tote Along tank from Camping World. I'll need it in September when we stay in a Long Island campground for 11 days with no sewer hookup, only a dump station. Since we are now fulltimers now I'm sure I'll need it from time to time anyway.

My question is to anyone who owns one of these Tote Alongs: Where do you store it when going down the road?

I have no room in my basements. I was thinking about the rear ladder or on top of our tow car.

Any suggestions?

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where to haul that thing???

We used one in a campground about a year ago ...about 30 gallon and we have 50 & 54 gallon holding tanks!!! Ya gotta watch it when filling it to ensure you stop the flow before it erupts!!!

I've considered getting one too, but pretty much decided that it would be less lassle just to "uncamp" and drive to the dump station in those rare locations where I need it than it would be to haul it around everywhere I go... ...that one we used was provided by the campground since they had no sewer hookups!!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #4

I have the 32 gallon unit and can store it in my basement, but I'm also installing the luggage rack railing on the top of my rig to store other items if needed.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Easier to go to the dump station once in 11 days than to find a place for the tank. We used to carry one once in awhile when we had a fifth wheel with fairly small tanks, but have not needed one often enough to bother carrying one for the motorhome.

I've seen them roped to a luggage rack on top of the motorhome, strapped to the ladder or on the car.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Second to what RV Roamer says. It is less work to pull up and move to the dump station than to mess with the blue tote. Speak from experience.

We keep ours in the shed at our son's home.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #7

We have one also, it stays in our storage unit.
Used it a couple of times but like others have said it is easier just move the coach to the dump station and back.
Of course we have two 75 gallon waste tanks and we can go about 6 days before we need to dump if we conserve.
The wife wouldn't like it if I hung a "blue tank" on the back of the coach ladder.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
We used to carry one, took up a lot of space in my storage compartment. Never used it and it was still brand new when I sold for $50 at the '04 National Rally's yard sale.

Haven't needed it yet either, good riddance.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #9

Well, the consensus seems to indicate that a Tote Along is more trouble than it is worth unless you are stationary for along, long time.

I was having buyer's remorse anyway and had a real concern regarding storing the tank during transit.

I'll be stationary for just one 11 day stretch. So I too will just unhook and go to the dump station.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Well, sorry to cloud the issue but I really like mine! I have a 40 gallon grey tank and 32 gallon tote so I can get almost a full tank in it.

I certainly find it easier to fill, tow and dump that tank than to.....
crank up 4 jacks
line up van and hook up
put in awning
take down TV and anything else that can't be up during a tow
dump
come back and set everything else up again
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #11

If I owned a 5th wheel or travel trailer I would likely agree with you. There are the additional steps of hooking up your truck and manually leveling the rig (in most cases)after you dump.

But, where do you store the tank when going down the road?

Old 07-14-2006, 12:04 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
We have one, it lives in our basement.
Have used it many times, hook it to the back of the pt cruiser to tow to the dump station. Find it very useful.
Don't know what we would do if there was not room in the basement, though.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Right now, I keep it in the back of our van when traveling. I am toying with the idea of building some kind of bracket under the trailer to store it. There is plenty of ground clearance in front of the tires.

I'm thinking of using some kind of hanger made with angle brackets that hinges down when I want to remove it.

camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote