Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Touch Up Paint Application

OK, I need some advice on the proper way to use touch up paint (clipped an 18" piece of retread on the interstate that left 3 - 16" scratches on the first bay door down to the metal). I'm assuming you just want to fill the scratch and not get any on the painted surfaces but I'm sure someone here knows the best way to do it.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Auto dealers have touch up people going from dealer to dealer fixing dings it sounds like you might want to talk to one of them. I haven't had any luck on little things that don't look like a touch up job much less (3) 16 inch long scratches.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Most shops would hit the scratches with sandable primer to build them up, sand the entire door to smooth, then paint the entire door.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #4

Haven't tried this technique yet, but someone told me the best way to apply touchup paint to scratches was with a toothpick and tiny dabs of the paint.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The boys on and Audi forum swear by this company.. Havent tried it yet myself and dont know how it would work on a long scratch.

Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Found this procedure too.. doesnt have to be thier paint, but the way he does it..

I would think that after a few days, you could lightly compound the area to flatten and blend it in completely..

Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcarol
Haven't tried this technique yet, but someone told me the best way to apply touchup paint to scratches was with a toothpick and tiny dabs of the paint.
I had a guy from Lazydays use a paper matchstick. It worked well. Not so much when I tried it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think a visit to a body shop would be the best solution. I have touced up small specs with our paints but nothing that is 16" long and especially having three of them.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I had a guy from Lazydays use a paper matchstick. It worked well. Not so much when I tried it.
Exactly. The guys that know what they're doing... do know. When we try, it's pretty obvious. A rock chip might be a good exercise. 16" scratches in a place you can't help but see them any time you get in or out? That's pro or body shop stuff.....
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
I suggest you check with a local auto dealer and see who they use for chip repair. We have a team that comes in to repair chips and dings in our new and used cars. I p/t for 3 dealers locally and they all use different teams. All these guys are GOOD. Much more reasonable than doing the bodyshop thing.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
OK, I need some advice on the proper way to use touch up paint (clipped an 18" piece of retread on the interstate that left 3 - 16" scratches on the first bay door down to the metal). I'm assuming you just want to fill the scratch and not get any on the painted surfaces but I'm sure someone here knows the best way to do it.
Hi Terry
First it depends on the paint color. I did touch up work for dealership for 10 years. If the paint is metallic or is not a solid color the chances or slim to have it match. The problem with a scratch is there is and valley now until you can fill that valley with the exact amount of paint the scratch will be noticeable. I with a lot of other people have tried different methods of do it to avoid filling and repainting. With enough patience you might get it to be less noticeable. Good luck.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote