Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Tow Plug Wiring

2000 Tradewinds, Freightliner Chasis

I feel like an idiot -- silly me, I expected my factory wired plug to "just work", what could be simpler, plug in and go, right?!?
I purchased a tow dolly from Craig's List, supposed to pick it up later this week 1/2 way to Florida from home. Seller emailed me the connection specs, I purchased a 6 to 4 adapter and a drop hitch from Amazon that arrived this afternoon. For grins and chuckles, thought I should test the pins on the flat-4...
Long story short, going back to the factory 6, I have no 12v power on any pin. 5 are wired, 4 of the 5 short to ground (beep my meter).
Are there a separate fuses for the tow connector or do they share the same wire/fuse as the lights? If there is a separate, how might they be labeled? I have the National distribution center diagram - nothing jumps out at me. Also the Freightliner fuse box below the drivers seat - it shows tail lights, signals, etc but nothing obvious for towing.
Any direction is most appreciated.

mg
mgambalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #2

Don't use a continuity tester (ohmmeter), use a voltmeter to test when the appropriate light is on.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I used the volt meter first, got zip, then tried continuity from each pin to ground.
mg
Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Inspecting the fuse/wiring box up front again, there are 2 more banks of fuses that are not identified. Does Freightliner post a diagram or chart? I searched google and their website, perhaps I am not using the proper terms.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I was able to locate the Freightliner fuse diagrams. For future reference, https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/ is a huge resource of manuals for multiple systems and chassis.

The first part of my issue is corrosion, inside the wiring plugs. There is a 7-pin weatherproof connector from the chassis wiring harness that feeds 2 6-pin Molex connectors, one for the tow plug and the other for rear lights, so at least the lighting circuits are common - not fused separately. Since the same connector was feeding the (working) rear lights, I opened the Molex to the tow connector, sprayed with WD-40, opened and closed it a couple of times to clean the pins, and I now have power at the tow plug.
I don't have ground.
Not even at the 7-pin. The wiring behind that goes through the frame into the engine compartment -- I figure its going to take some time to hunt it down -- so I installed a temporary ground wire directly to the tow plug; I hope that will suffice for the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #6

Does anyone know if the 7 wire RV plug is wired the same as the 7 wire plugs on other than RV's (SUVs, pickup, big trucks)?

One would certainly think so but I have my doubts.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Does anyone know if the 7 wire RV plug is wired the same as the 7 wire plugs on other than RV's (SUVs, pickup, big trucks)?

One would certainly think so but I have my doubts.
It should be.

I had a similar issue with mine when I bought ir. It had never been used for towing, the socket on the back of the motorhome was just full of corrosion, it had traveled up the wires a couple of feet.

I had to cut the wires back to clean copper and re-wire (solder and heat-shrink the joints). I just followed pictures online for the colour codes, checking with a volt-meter as I went. Amazingly it all worked.

Steve
Old 03-30-2019, 12:50 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Better is a 6-pin/ 7-pin TESTER that just plugs in, check Amazon (under $10)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:52 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a google search, believe etrailer.com shows a variety of plug options/ variances
Old 03-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Better is a 6-pin/ 7-pin TESTER that just plugs in, check Amazon (under $10)

Well maybe. But say you have a bad ground on the TV. You plug your fancy little tester, the ground is good enough, to carry all the currant needed to light the little pity LEDs. You plug in your trailer, and things don't work. Now you spend the next 3 days pulling your hair, and cobbling up the wiring of the trailer before you call somebody that knows what they are doing. Took me 1 minute to find the original problem, 10 minutes to fix. Hours on the trailer...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, wiring