Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy27 View Post
HAve been towed twice. first time front up and drive shaft disconnected. second time driver raised the rear using the trailer hitch as his hook up points. tied off the steering wheel and away he went. Much easier to hook up and no problems with the tow.
He raised the back wheels off the ground? Yikes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
He raised the back wheels off the ground? Yikes.
Sometimes you have no choice

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy27 View Post
HAve been towed twice. first time front up and drive shaft disconnected. second time driver raised the rear using the trailer hitch as his hook up points. tied off the steering wheel and away he went. Much easier to hook up and no problems with the tow.
He used the 10,000lb rated trailer hitch to raise and tow your MH? Man, that's a lot of damage, was the axle housing broken too?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The rear axle was dislocated, not sure if it was bent or not but the overall damage was enough to total out the unit which was only a few years old.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
This Thread has a lot of good information; therefore, I'm saving it. I hope I never have to to be towed, but in case I do - I'm ready.
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Me4Life View Post
This Thread has a lot of good information; therefore, I'm saving it. I hope I never have to to be towed, but in case I do - I'm ready.
Me too.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
After asking this question,i think i will make sure my rig is in top shape before going on the road.Really hope i never have to be towed.If so there is great info on this thread,i will print this and put in the m/h.
Thanks tim(aka--tagcat)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
After asking this question,i think i will make sure my rig is in top shape before going on the road.Really hope i never have to be towed.If so there is great info on this thread,i will print this and put in the m/h.
Thanks tim(aka--tagcat)
You can go through the drill of making sure all systems are in great shape but it is the little stuff that will get you.

In my case, it was a bad oil pressure sender, a lousy $8 part plus the $27 harness for the new type sender.

My friend just had his Monaco Executive towed because of a faulty water sensor, a $48 part
Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We will just have to hope for the best,but plan for the worst!
I guess if we are lucky enough we will live to an old age were we will have lots of memories of the little stuff that bite us in the butt.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #24

I have not personally been towed but saw other rigs coming in on a hook to Cummins in Atlanta. One tow driver said never let them tow you from the rear...always from the front. The other interesting thing I saw, a big rig was not lifted high enough by the tow truck in the front, so the trip to the garage scraped the MH tires in every low spot on the pavement. It removed a good half-inch of rubber on both front tires. Guess what, the tow company bought new replacement tires for the coach. It was so impressive that even my wife saw the flat spots on both tires.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #25

Would love to hear more about getting picked up from the rear. I have a broken rear axle and the motorhome is 500 miles away. I am looking to get it hauled home so I can fix it. Can you tow it backwards like this for long distance? It's an 86 HR Imperial 33'.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's the axle shaft itself that's broken you can remove it, cap it and tow it with the rear wheels down.

Who's paying for the 500 mile town for you to get it home? It seems more plausible to put the excess tow charges for that long of a distance towards the cost of the axle replacement.

I somehow get the idea your thinking motor club or insurance is going to pay for the whole tow.

When you do something like this you remove both axles even if only one is broken.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
#1 thing if you are a diesel make SURE the driver hooks up the airline. If he doesn't you have no air ride suspension and does that bouncing ever damage the front end. I got that driver when mine was towed the first time.

I have been towed twice, once out of Atlanta(big city) and I think the low boys for MH are an internet rumor. With all of the traveling we have done, I have never seen a MH being towed on a low boy, only wreckers.

There is a section in my chassis owners manual for towing and removing the drive shaft. When the driver removes the drive shaft TAPE the U joints immediately. If not dirt will get in them and in about 5,000 miles they will need to be replaced, been there on that one too. I think the driver dropped one of the grease cups in the dirt and stuck it back on. Also grease the U joints as soon as the drive shaft is reconnected, better safe than sorry.
Also....no airline=brakes will be ON. Causing extra wear on tires. Tow driver pulled our 37 foot DP 100 feet like that before he remembered to hook up an airline. There is a connection for that underneath somewhere.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
Also....no airline=brakes will be ON. Causing extra wear on tires. Tow driver pulled our 37 foot DP 100 feet like that before he remembered to hook up an airline. There is a connection for that underneath somewhere.
The brakes can be manually latched to keep the springs retracted so a coach can be towed without an air line to the brakes. Not recommended but it can be done.

Tags
towing