Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #29

Been towed twice in 5yrs. of fulltiming. Once demanded, and got the coach put on a trailer since we were in Destruction Bay, Yukon, and it was 180 miles to Whitehorse. Didn't like the idea of being towed over frost heaves while on the hook so to speak. The other tow was a routine one in Fl. Don't know how to post a pic or I would.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Been towed twice in 5yrs. of fulltiming. Once demanded, and got the coach put on a trailer since we were in Destruction Bay, Yukon, and it was 180 miles to Whitehorse. Didn't like the idea of being towed over frost heaves while on the hook so to speak. The other tow was a routine one in Fl. Don't know how to post a pic or I would.
See reply #7 in the link below

Forums 101 - posting, photos, accounts, basics

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for the info on posting pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Getting ready to load.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	61676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loaded #2.jpg
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	61677  

Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #32

Our coach was towed once both ways once. Towed by hooking on the front and put on a trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0541 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	61678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	61679  

Name:	IMG_0560 1024 x 768.JPG
Size:	570.6 KB
ID:	61680  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #33

Bigd9....Holy crap!! We're you trying to remodel and got carried away. What's the story???
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you both for the pictures, they certainly have more impact.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Bigd9....Holy crap!! We're you trying to remodel and got carried away. What's the story???
My baby got a little hot under the collar!

We were all packed and ready to go camping on a snow skiing trip, heading to Canaan Valley in West Virginia. My wife left home to get the last minute groceries and I was down in the basement finishing my latest modification that I was going to install before my wife got back. (under the kitchen table silver ware drawer)

Next thing I knew my neighbor from 1 mile down the road came up our long driveway blowing his horn. I came up from the basement and looked out and the BigD was ablaze! Neighbor wanted to drag a garden hose over and attempt to put it our while I was on the phone to the fire department. About that time, one of the front tires blew out and the sound was like someone shot a shotgun next to your ears. Burning rubber plopped down everywhere smelling awful. Our neighbor ran back to his pickup just in time to see the large generator propane tank vent. Now when it vents it makes a LOUD shrilling noise then the flame! It looked like a really big blow torch cooking the lawn for about 30 feet almost to the house. Explosion after another sounded sending debris all over.
My baby was no more

The first picture I got while phoning the fire department was flames leaping out from where the refrigerator was. Just under the refrigerator is the place where the electrical switching/fuses/circuit breakers were located. Could have been either gone wrong, we will never know.

Good news is no one was hurt.
Bad news is we lost everything.
Good news was it was insured.
Bad news was the coach was covered under one policy (auto) but the contents was covered under the house policy. Two large deductibles.

I would like to close by saying Please please take pictures of the inside of your RV's including every drawer, looking up at ceiling, and down at floor and store those pictures somewhere fire safe (maybe on line or at a bank). When claiming contents we had to list EACH and EVERY single item and it's age/cost. Even now 5 years later we think of something that was lost but we failed to claim. Like my wife and my backpack. I thought someone stole them till one night I woke up out of a deep sleep and remembered I had it stored in a small cubby hole in the motorhome that was just perfect for the backpacks.

Oh yea, one more thing. Practice opening the emergency window. Also know how you are going to get down from that window. Its a long way down to the ground and you don't have a lot of time to figure it out when you are in a panic.

I'm I got but I just wanted everyone to understand these things can go up fast! In 13 minutes it was nothing but frame and a pile of smoldering stuff.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing