Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Towing plug help

On the MOHO is a seven pin plug (for towing my trailer)... But I want to connect a plug to my dingy (Volkswagen GTI). What plug should I use on the dingy? My concern is the independent (separate from brake/tail light) turn signals. The seven pin looks like the brake/tail/turn signal are all on the same wire.

What say you? Thanks.

Happy Wife = Happy Life! ... and that brings "Miles of Smiles"
TruDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruDat View Post
On the MOHO is a seven pin plug (for towing my trailer)... But I want to connect a plug to my dingy (Volkswagen GTI). What plug should I use on the dingy? My concern is the independent (separate from brake/tail light) turn signals. The seven pin looks like the brake/tail/turn signal are all on the same wire.

What say you? Thanks.
The simple way is to get a 7 pin to 4 flat adapter. The harder way is to tap into the plug wireing and splice in the 4 flat socket.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruDat View Post

What say you? Thanks.
You can find an adapter at most auto parts stores or even Wal*Mart. There are several different ones, 6 pin round and 4 pin flat are the normal. I used the 6 pin round on our towed.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
How are you wiring the dinghy? When the dealer installed the Blue Ox baseplate on my 08 Jeep Liberty, they used a Blue Ox wiring kit (with diodes) that terminated in a 7-pin plug at the front, so all I need is a 7-pin-to-7-pin cable. If you use a wiring kit, that will determine what plug you have.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally on a towed you will use either a flat 4 (you can get and adapter at U-Haul or most RV places) or the round 7 (The latter is used if your Towed brake controller is IN the motor home.. As it should be)

You don't worry about the brake light wire on the VW at all, Just hook up the turn signals.

Now.. as it turns out this is actually a very good situtation.

If you use an aux brake system like the US-Gear Unified brake decelerator, Air Force one, or even the ones I do not like such as Brake Buddy or Even brake (The "Brake system in a box" as I call them systems which need installation every time you tow)

Then when they push or pull down the brake pedal THEY will turn on the VW's normal brake lights.

And the turn signals will work normally, plus they will come on to "Supplement" the VW's normal brake lights.

All in all the very best of signal systems.