Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #1

Just got our '84 Toyota Dolphin back from the shop where we had the cluch's hydraulics replaced. Talking to the mechanic, he tells methat there are a few things we can do to soup the litte girl up. Going uphill at highway speeds is trying. We usually end up in third gear with the engine screaming and hazard light on at 55 mph. That might have been OK back in '84 but it can be scary today.

He says that for about a grand we could get higher lifer cams, better injectors and a header. Or just bolt a turbocharger on for maybe less. He says that the turbo charger will even give better gas milage. Are there any downsides to any of this besides cost? We would like to take it out west, but just don't see ourselves trying I-70 west of Denver. ****, even I-75 between Knoxville and Chattnooga would look bad for the thing now.

Dan

Dan Listermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #2

Just got our '84 Toyota Dolphin back from the shop where we had the cluch's hydraulics replaced. Talking to the mechanic, he tells methat there are a few things we can do to soup the litte girl up. Going uphill at highway speeds is trying. We usually end up in third gear with the engine screaming and hazard light on at 55 mph. That might have been OK back in '84 but it can be scary today.

He says that for about a grand we could get higher lifer cams, better injectors and a header. Or just bolt a turbocharger on for maybe less. He says that the turbo charger will even give better gas milage. Are there any downsides to any of this besides cost? We would like to take it out west, but just don't see ourselves trying I-70 west of Denver. ****, even I-75 between Knoxville and Chattnooga would look bad for the thing now.

Dan

Dan Listermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried going on line to Toyota, maybe they have a tech support that could give you the answers you are looking for. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Toyota Corolla that lost power going up hills. After fuel filter and Bosh plug wires were replaced all was fine a couple months. Then it started losing power again . I found out that you must use Toyota wires and dist. cap. They were expensive but it ran great after I put in Toyota parts. It also would blow out Fram oil filters after 1 city block. The Toyota oil filters worked great.
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on aftermarket addons. Been there done that. That's a small engine and does pretty good all things considered. I'm amazed at how many of those rigs like yours are still out there running down the road.
Why don't you talk to some of the people who have rigs like yours and see what they say.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote