Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
TPMS?

Does anyone sell an oem style tmps that mounts INSIDE the tire?

New tires are on my list, and it would be cake to install such a system at the same time. I would really like to have a pressure and temp monitoring system, but...

Frankly, it seems beyond stupid and bordering on asking for trouble to screw anything onto the end of the valve stem that would open the valve and expose the threads and other devices to pressure. I've all ready fixed all my slow leaks... By unscrewing and thriwing away the extenders that someone put on there rather than buying a proper tool to measure the air pressure.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

After having Tire Sentry and Doran Pressure Pro in the past I went with the SmarTire system. I got it from Dickman Tires, who is very knowledgeable. I love this system. Internal sensors that also give you temperature readings and have the ability to determine the true deficit in tire pressure based upon temperature. It's a great system and I wouldn't goany other way. The link to my installation, as well as supplier links is on my website at SmarTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mounting INSIDE the tire.. Last I knew Camping World sold SMART TIRE

I don't know if it's an "OEM" type or not, but that is how it mounts.

Question: Why spend the money to dismount and remount the tires?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
New tires are on my list,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Mounting INSIDE the tire.. Last I knew Camping World sold SMART TIRE

I don't know if it's an "OEM" type or not, but that is how it mounts.

Question: Why spend the money to dismount and remount the tires?
Getting 4 new back tires anyway. So they'll be off.

Buying tires from next door bieghbor who owns a truck tire company. Will get good price on tires. Might be able to get a deal from him on the tpms.

And he'll mount and balance for free. If I give him beer and BBQ him a steck, he'll dismount the fronts free too. Heck, he's a good friend and his kids live in my pool, ya know?

Besides... it really seems a BAD idea to put anything on the end of the valve stem that will open the valve. Kinda defeats the purpose, ya know?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
OUCH and "holy crap Batman!" $899 for a six wheel system? who. any others? that seems really outragious.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
OUCH and "holy crap Batman!" $899 for a six wheel system? who. any others? that seems really outragious.
i just bought a psiclops tire pressure inflation system from vulcan online. their service was good. i will post more info on this gauge after i have used it a couple of times.

vulcan handles the smart tire system also.
SmarTire TPMS Systems for RV's for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

i am currently using the tst truck pressure and temperature monitoring system with mixed results. 1 sensor leaked, another just quit working. tst replaced both sensors quickly. i had to pay postage to send them back to them.
another sensor just quit working. i have an rma# from tst and have to send it back. they are backordered on sensors until april 21.
when the tst system is working correctly, it works well.

i recommend vulcan for their quick service.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
And $1200. if pulling a toad!!!!!!!
Have just spent an hour looking for "specifications" and can find none. My interest would be - are batteries owner changeable or do I purchase new sensors when batteries quit?? Who pays to remove tires for service situations (mechanical/electronic devices do tend to break) - obviously the owner! If this is a "get new sensors" system as batteries die, they normally run $50 - $75 EACH for replacements!
Also found it interesting that they just dropped the auto systems - no continuing support - no parts - no nothing. Wonder which system is next?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
hmm, ya... My only experience with an internal system was a 1993 corvette that came from the factory with it. I had the car 5 years and nothing ever failed. I imagine the sensors were built into the inside part of the valvestem, and no, the batteries could not be changed, at least not without dismounting the tire.

That is a tremendous amount of coin, for just a dubious benefit.

I wonder how many tire failures begin as a leak that just happens and is fast enough to take the tire down during one days driving?
I manually check my air pressure every driving day as it is, and am starting to guess that's all the tire pressure monitoring I need.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
TMPS systems are great!

Last week I was coming across the Mississippi on I-270 when my TMPS indicated that my right outside dual was low, showed 81 psi. I slowed down and at exit 3 in Ill. I turned off, went to a truck dealer and put more air in it. I match the air pressure to the other dual. Then I continued on.

As I approached Springfield, Ill. once again the TMPS indicated. Stopped at the local Goodyear dealer and they found a hole in the tire.

I feel that without the TMPS a fair amount of damage would have been done because there is little way to know when one of the dauls is going bad.

Oh well, that's my story and I am glad I have the TMPS.
turtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Valve extensions are famous for failing or leaking. It all depends on the type and how they are mounted. It's the same with valve stem mounted pressure monitors. Any one can screw up a good thing if it's not mounted correctly. I have had the Pressure Pro Valve stem mounted monitors on two different Motorhomes and the toads for eight years and 60,000 miles without any problems.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote