Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, my PP is able to read the toad's sensors from far away too, even when it is not in tow. That's why I said distance is probably not the issue in most cases. It doesn't take a whole lot to reflect or block a tiny radio signal, though.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #16

Now it is 2 years later...how do you like the Hawkshead today?

realbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by realbob View Post
Now it is 2 years later...how do you like the Hawkshead today?
Same as before - "wouldn't leave home without it!"
Had a small problem which Hawkshead took care of under warranty.... A toad transmitter unit quit working - removed the screw-on cap and found the battery "hold down" mechanism was broken.
Recently changed all 10 batteries @ .90 cents each (google the battery) just as a precaution. It took < 20 minutes.
I use the "anti-theft" devices so it adds a minute or so to the inflation times.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Hawkshead 10 unit system. Only problem I have had is when I drive the jeep tow car away from the rv with monitor in the car, the unit will start to beep as the signal is not there from the rv tires. I have not found any way to change this signal loss. That has been the only problem with the Hawkshead. Have used it for 2 years.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #19

thanks for the update. i noticed in a review somewhere that one of the features was the ability to see the status of each tire when the coach is at a standstill..."monitor while parked". some have this capability and some don't. seems like it would be nice to be able to check the tires on the monitor before departing. what do you think?
realbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I can't imagine a system that does not have that capability! That's the beauty of a TPMS. Most evenings before early travel we disconnect and pull everything in/up. Quick check of the TPMS the next morn and we're off.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
I can't imagine a system that does not have that capability! That's the beauty of a TPMS. Most evenings before early travel we disconnect and pull everything in/up. Quick check of the TPMS the next morn and we're off.
The Tiretraker and the other two identical units (Tire minder and Hawkshead I think) go to sleep after 15 minutes or so. Any readings that are still showing the next morning are the readings from when the unit went to sleep. Distributer tells me they "wake up" and give new readings only after some distance of moving the unit. It is the only feature I'm disappointed in with the unit. They did say that alerts are still active during the sleep period but that means you could be leaving the park with one or more tires quite a bit lower than normal, just not at the alert level.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Peddler,
I own and have used a Hawkshead system for over 2 years. The evening temps and pressures change by the next morning. The temp can be watched and noted to rise as the sun comes up. Further, if the system is "asleep" how would it know to advise that an "alert warning situation" existed?
This is real world experience and has nothing to do with what "I think".
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
The way I understand, it works from every so many seconds or minutes [not sure of time frame?] The hand unit receives a new update as to pressure and temp. This gives you time when you first turn on the unit before you move RV to see the new readings. That is what my unit will do. I walk around RV and toad to double check readings. So far has been working.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Peddler,
I own and have used a Hawkshead system for over 2 years. The evening temps and pressures change by the next morning. The temp can be watched and noted to rise as the sun comes up. Further, if the system is "asleep" how would it know to advise that an "alert warning situation" existed?
This is real world experience and has nothing to do with what "I think".
My "I think" statement was in reference to Hawkshead being the same unit as TireTraker. My info on the TireTraker came straight from Lawrence RV who is the distributer for TireTraker. I assume they are in the "real world".

cut & paste from Lawrence RV email:

"The only way to immediately update the sensors id to physically unscrew them, then screw them right back on. Even though the monitor does not show the current pressures on the display before movement, it is continually scrolling through each tire, and if any tire should be in alarm, you will be notified immediately. You do not need to roll before an alarm occurs. When I start out in the morning, if there is no alarm present, then I know I am in good shape. Once they update, if I notice a tire a little low (or high), I then pull into a truck stop and take care of it. Hope this helps."