Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #1

TPO roof problem..

Well, the fact is my 12 year-old Jayco roof is fine. But I'm not the first owner and I think someone coated the roof earlier. Now the coating is spotting and peeling. I want to get this stuff off. But I don't know how.
BTW, I'd rather not power wash it; I've got solar panels and eternatape on the roof Now and I'm worried about messing that up.
Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0928161026~2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	714.2 KB
ID:	140145   Click image for larger version

Name:	0928161025~2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	140146  

Fishergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Take a good stiff push broom and brush to it. Not all will come off easily until more time has elapsed. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's a shame if somebody coated a TPO roof, especially long before it has shown any sign of surface wear. Sheer ignorance, IMO, though it may well have been touted by some RV shop anxious to make some big bucks. How to convince people that its the seams and joints that leak, not the membrane?

In any case, brush or scrape with something stiff, as Mike suggests. Or get that pressure washer out (hopefully one more like 1500 psi than 3000+). If your tape & caulk is sound, it won't come off unless you get really close with that washer nozzle. Of course, it is applied over the coating, it's gonna come off with it no matter how you remove it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

No kidding...shame. Just found out the previous owner laid Liquid Rubber for EPDM roofs on the TPO a little under 3 years ago. That would have been in the winter of '14.
What an expensive mess!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

I would not scrape or power wash or anything else, otherwise you may damage the TPO underneath. How about letting it just wear off with time?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

Interesting. Unfortunately, I've already got half of it off. It's coming off in big pieces...never really bonded well. It's been suggested that I leave it under my solar panels, rather than remove them for that. But I'm worried that, because the coating is so loose, a moisture layer would cause problems.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The concern with pressure washing its that a nozzle with the fine needle spray at something like 3000 psi will easily cut the TPO (or your skin!) if held to close. A broader spray tip at 1200-1500 psi should be no worry as long as you don't poke it tight into the membrane.
The reason for the general rule against pressure cleaning EPDM and TPO (and many other things) is simply that neither your skill nor your equipment is known to others, so the only safe advice is "don't do it".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #8

Good advice! This stuff is coming off so easy that I don't think I'll need the pressure wash.
I will have to remove and replace all the sealants that I've placed on top of the liquid rubber since buying the RV. They're only attached to the coating, so it shouldn't be that difficult.
Lesson learned and another question to ask sellers: Is there any coating on the roof? ��

Tags
roof