Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone know of a source for Henderson rear trac bar other than Henderson or CW?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone know of a source for Henderson rear trac bar other than Henderson or CW?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Have you tried the Internet seach engines?

I see no problem buying direct from Robert Henderson or his product from Camping World or other fine retailers. I don't see a big discount on this equipment regardless of vendor.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The market for these is not particularly massive, so the two vendors seem to have it sewed up.

One alternative would be to build your own. There are several on this board that did so and there are some patterns posted in the photo area. This will of course require some fabriction skills.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #5

After a lot of research I've learned a lot, everything from roll, to wag, sway, yaw, pitch, rear trac bars, front trac bars, sway bars (which are not trac bars), air bags, and hydraulic and mechanical steering dampers. Whew!

Solving the handling problem on the Chevy C5500 Kodiak chassis is not a one item solution. I bought the Henderson Trac Bar and had it installed on the Kodiak C5500 chassis at Camping World June 23, 2007. $500 for the Trac Bar and $200 to install. I know it can be done cheaper, but I am not retired, don't have the tools and skills and don't have a lot of time. The Henderson for the C5500 is bolted to the rear end differential housing and then over to the "starboard" side of the truck frame. No holes had to be drilled into the frame. It was all bolts and over 100 foot pounds of torque.

There was an immediate positive difference. Yes, I can still rock the truck side to side, but the Trac Bar doesn't address this. What it did do is eliminate the feeling I was headed for the ditch every time the right track of the road took a little dip.

It used to feel like the wheel would follow the road down into the dip and was pulling the whole truck down into the dip toward the ditch with it. Now the wheel seems to glide over the dip and the truck doesn't even drop. Of course you know it is still following the road, but it "feels" like I'm gliding over the top of the dips. My confidence has increased 100%, even though not all problems are solved. Enough are solved so I enjoy driving instead of thinking of it as a chore.

I learned you start with tires, tire pressure and then alignment. Then you change one thing at a time. Just a little difference in the diameter of a sway bar can make a lot of difference in handling. Rear Trac Bars affect front steering and Front Trac Bars affect rear movement. Bilstein shocks also made a lot of people happy.

Comments and corrections are welcome.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BronzeOwl:
Rear Trac Bars affect front steering and Front Trac Bars affect rear movement.

Comments and corrections are welcome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Subtle nit: The effect of Track Bars (panhard rod) depends on the type of suspension. In the case of the Workhorse chassis with front and rear leaf springs, both track bars will affect the steering.

Track bars are never used on independent suspensions. They have linkages that locate the wheel relative to the chassis very well.

At the other extreme, a solid axle with coil springs, requires a track bar. It won't get 10 feet down the road without one.

The solid axle with leaf springs is another common suspension system in heavy vehicles, and often supply enough lateral stability.

Your Kodiak, I believe, has leaf springs in back and independent suspension in front. A front track bar would never be used. As you observed a rear track bar, made an enormous difference.

On the Workhorse chassis the rear track bar prevents rear side movement of the chassis from changing the steering angle. The front track bar does the same thing. The steering tie rod is connected to the chassis (steering wheel) and if the chassis moves to the side the steering angle will change, thus wandering.

Often people install only one, the front or the rear track bar, and this reduces the symptoms enough that they don't install the second track bar.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Bronze Owl...
You are to be congratulated - you have already learned more about suspensions and handling than many RVers learn in a lifetime. And Alvin's additional input will make you even smarter!

Drive your Kodiak for awhile before deciding if anything else is needed. Based on your comments it sounds as though an improved sway bar might be helpful to your peace of mind, but I wouldn't rush into it. Usually each additional item adds only a small improvement (if any), even though the price is still as high as the initial item(s).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote