Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Trac Vision........don't remember the model number, it's not an in motion system. I've been having problems with it locking on....it motors, and I get a message saying searching for sat signal. I've had it in the shop twice and the first time they said they found a loose connection and reprogramed it......it worked fine for a couple of times, and then started doing the same thing again. By the way, I use Direct TV. Anyway, took it back to the shop and they said it works fine.......they said the problem is, I have to reprogram it when I move from place to place. Funny I didn't use to have to do that. Went to Las Vegas last week and it worked fine.......then to Laughlin and it didn't work........worked fine in Bakersfield going down, and wouldn't work on the way back......when I say wouldn't work, I mean wouldn't lock on......still motors though.
The shop is closed, so I haven't been able to discuss it with them. I don't think they know what they're talking about at the shop......can't wait to hear what they tell me to do, when I ask them how to reprogram it each time. I'm going to call KVH as soon as I can.
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Trac Vision........don't remember the model number, it's not an in motion system. I've been having problems with it locking on....it motors, and I get a message saying searching for sat signal. I've had it in the shop twice and the first time they said they found a loose connection and reprogramed it......it worked fine for a couple of times, and then started doing the same thing again. By the way, I use Direct TV. Anyway, took it back to the shop and they said it works fine.......they said the problem is, I have to reprogram it when I move from place to place. Funny I didn't use to have to do that. Went to Las Vegas last week and it worked fine.......then to Laughlin and it didn't work........worked fine in Bakersfield going down, and wouldn't work on the way back......when I say wouldn't work, I mean wouldn't lock on......still motors though.
The shop is closed, so I haven't been able to discuss it with them. I don't think they know what they're talking about at the shop......can't wait to hear what they tell me to do, when I ask them how to reprogram it each time. I'm going to call KVH as soon as I can.
Brian

Old 05-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #3

I had that same problem with my Tracvision S2 satellite dish. There were two problems:

1) Where the dealer installed it, they did not install the data cable from the dish control switch panel to the receiver so the receiver and dish did not communicate. I had to keep hitting the "reset" switch on the dish control panel. This cable looks like a phone cable with plugs that are a little different than the phone cable plugs.

2) At that time I was using the DirecTv D10 receiver in the coach and it had a program problem that had disabled the data port.

Both problems were solved by TracVision, they sent us a RCA receiver and the missing data cable for free.

If you have the S2 TracVision, You should check to see if the data cable was installed from the back of the switch to the receiver.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, thanks Ron, I'll check that, hopefully I'll have time to pick up the motorhome later this week. I did talk to the service writer today, and he said, that I need to input the zip code where I was and do the reprogram at each location. I told him, that I was sorry, but I didn't think so.......it had worked for several months ok.......and as far as I knew, you only needed to put the zip code in, to find the coordinates for a fixed disk. Thanks again for your input.
Brian
Old 06-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What brand and model sattelite receiver works best in motorhome.Ipresently have Directv model R-15, and its way to complicated, and loses its memory when not connected to power. Also has cooling fan that runs constantly. I have Winegard Movin Vu dome (stationary)and it works well. I purchased the R-15 at Costco out of ignorance on my part I'm afraid. Any recommendation would be appreciated
Old 06-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
dieselclacker, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. There are some new 12 volt recievers that have come out onto the market but I do not know how well they are doing. I think that they are incorporated with the new satellite dish systems but may be available in stand alone. We have the older RCA that I don't even think is made any more but it has been fine when used every day. I am sure there will be other members that will join in on this and help us out with your question. Good luck and enjoy the website and forum.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #7

SuperCub:
What was your resolution of this issue? I have TracVision in motion Sat. dome with DirecTV and until this week, no problems. Now I am also getting the "searching for sat" message. I called DirecTV and after being suttled to five different Techs, (and 40 minutes on my cell phone), I was told to contact KVH since the tests for the receiver checked out OK. They said that error message (771) means it is a problem with the dish, not their Satellite.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #8

I just came back from a 6 week trip using my KVH L2 in-motion satellite TV system. It worked great while in-motion. When I would pull out of a CG or a truck stop as soon as I would start moving it would lose the signal. About 50 percent of the time it would pick up the signal within 5 to 10 minutes. The times it wouldn't pick up the signal I would turn off the inverter for a few seconds and let the receiver and the antenna reboot, then it would pick the signal back up.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

May I suggest making sure you have the antenna running off a separate AC/DC power-supply, and not the regular 12volt coach-line.

I had an L3 that worked perfectly on my old coach but when I moved it to my new one, it wouldn't even lock on while stationary. After pulling out most of my hair, I put an oscilloscope on the 12volt supply and was amazed at how noisy and dirty it was. All that trash was spiking the poor antenna and causing it to become unstable.

Stuck the KVH power supply (or any good quality regulated bench-supply) in there just to see if it made a difference, and my problems were immediately over.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume that you have gone to the website and performed the steps required due to a change in DirectTV several months ago? There is a known issue with some DirectTV receivers that appeared about 2-4 months ago that requires some software modifications of the satellite dish.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote