Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #1

Tranny temps and scan gage

Hi Folks
I just returned from my first long trip fron Tn. to Ia.,1400 miles . I installed a scan gage 11 in our 1999 Kountry Star v-10 before we left. we had a great trip except for a broken tv antenna,[ my screw up]. My question is,tranny temps. I know this subject has been beatend to death, but my tranny temps got up to the high 290's acouple of times,at all times above 260. after the first 30 miles I stoped an checked the fluid,smell the fluid, it was full an it did not have a burn't smell,so I continued on my trip. I checked it several more times with the same results.
When I got home I contacted scan gage an we discused the temps,an agreeded they were to high,It could be a bad sensor. they also sent me a new unit,which I haven't had a chance to run yet.
My question is If the temps were really that high, should it have run 1400 miles without haveing a problem? It hade no problem's shifting the whole trip.
Anyone have any experience with this, could I have a bad tranny sensor?
Need some answers
Thank's

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I definitely suspect a bad sensor. Even the E40D (the 4R100 is a close cousin to it) on the old coach didn't go above 220 degrees F going up our 8% grades with the 10MPH corners (in the NC mountains), normal temp was about 190.

The new coach has the 5 speed Torqshift and it barely goes above 190 on the Scangauge up the same hills.

According the the following chart, it they really were that high, you'd get only about 2000mi out of the tranny:

Transmission temperature/failure chart.

If I were you, I'd have it inspected and the fluid flushed by a reputable transmission shop, it's probably due anyway and you'd find out how burned it is for sure.

Good luck!
Stewart

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #3

Thanks Stewart
The fluid was changed less than 2,000 miles ago by the last owner, but that was 3 years ago,the previous owner pass away an it wasn't used for a while. I'm mechanicaly challanged,so I need help from you guy's.It has a trans. cooler up front,don't know if they all do.
32,700 miles
thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
It could be a couple of things..
1) Bad sensor as previously mentioned.
2) Bad math entered in the SGII (MTH parms)

My 5 sp Allison only ran 170 when it was 105 out here in Texas.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

I checked an rechecked the numbers entered into the scan gage. the new one that they sent me was programed by the tech. at the company before they sent it to me,I haven't had a chance to run the coach yet to see if there is any difference.
Anyone know where the sensor is located an how difficult it would be to change?
Thank's
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
With a 1999 F53 chassis, you should have a 4R100 transmission, which is a close cousin to the E4OD.

I did a search for "4r100 temperature sensor" and found this reference to the connector that goes to the sensor, also a list of resistances vs temperature on page 2 (though the reference to pins 5 and 6 seems to be wrong, the wiring chart has the TOT sensor on pins 7 and 8):

http://01ecb75.netsolhost.com/downlo...ford/4r100.pdf

Note that the lower the resistance is, the higher the temperature is, so a short in the wiring could also cause the display to be wrong.

Hopefully someone else on the forum knows where this connector is (or you can have fun crawling under your coach looking for it)

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #7

Thanks Stewart for your time an trouble,mabey I can figure it out if i can find that connector.If anyone can give me some help,I would greatly appreciate it.
I can't do any crawling for the next few day's,it's raining like crazy here in Tn, an supposed to stay that way for a few more day's .