Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Transfer switch and 110v plug???

In one of the rear bays, along with my 50 amp shore cord, there is an electrical box marked "TRANSFER SWITCH". I found the explanation for the transfer switch in my coach manual, BUT next to the transfer switch is a typical 110v cord with plug just hanging there. Next to that is a 110v receptacle. The plug is at just the right length to be plugged into this receptacle. It is obvious that the intent is for the cord to be plugged into the receptacle sometime. It is hanging loose and has been that way from day one. I searched the manual for an explanation as to when this plug is supposed to be plugged into the receptacle and why. I could find no explanation for this short cord and the receptacle. Why would it just be hanging there? If it were meant to be connected all the time I would assume it would be hard wired. Does anyone know what this cord is for and when it is to be plugged in? I've only had the coach for a month and have found the answer to most things in the manual, but NOT this time. I need help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'll bet it's for the engine block heater, but the other Safari owners will know.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As Dirk indicates, on my Winnebago Ultimate that cord goes to the engine block heater, and on my coach the outlet is controlled by a switch inside coach that is marked "Engine Heater." If you have an "Engine Heater" switch somewhere inside, it would be easy to verify that the switch controls that outlet. If you DON'T have an Engine Heater switch somewhere, then you have to plug the cord into the outlet to use the engine heater.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I'll bet it's for the engine block heater, but the other Safari owners will know.
Give Dirk the prize!!! Its for the block heater. There is no switch inside that I know of.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the help. Engine block heater.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As usual, there will be no charge for the assistance.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also have this plug in my compartment and it is plugged in. Cant find anything in manuals pertaining to block heaters. I wonder if this plug is for a block heater and if so is it ok to be plugged in all the time? Don't have any switches inside for engine heat.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just checked again and the plug actually runs from the converter to the outlet. I have a breaker that says block heater ( opt ) so maybe I don't have a block heater.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Just checked again and the plug actually runs from the converter to the outlet. I have a breaker that says block heater ( opt ) so maybe I don't have a block heater.
You mean the PLUG goes to the converter, or the OUTLET is fed from the converter?

And is there actually a breaker in the spot that says "block heater (opt)"?

I think block heaters are wired the way they are so that you can plug them into an extension cord if there's no power available in the coach to run them. If the batteries are dead, for instance.

joe
Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wire runs from converter and plugs into the outlet. About the breaker, I just went out to check again and there are more things listed on the label below the breakers then there are breakers and some of the things listed such as central vac and fireplace we do not have. Cant find a plug or outlet anywhere that suggests we have block heater.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #11

Should be easy vsually check the engine block for the heater, I to have the same thing in my electrical compartment, and it was always plugged in, and is really "hot" to the touch if on shore power.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #12

If you have a rear engine cummins, look on the driver side of the block, just below the second exhaust manifold bolt from the tranny, there will be a big round plud on the block with (3) wires going in, thats the block heater.