Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Transmission or torque converter?

I just got a 88 Sothwind 27' on Chevy p30 chassis. It has a 454 engine and th400 tranny. While driveing it started to surge like it was fuel issue. It got worse and when I got off hiway it did not want to go. Engine running good but tranny not catching.It went a little with more throttle and jerked and made bad noises but after a bit would not go at all..Engine just raced and it is makeing not normal noises. Does anyone know if its the torque converter or is tranny dead? I have been unable to find out what happens when toque converter goes bad. Thank you
Vin
vmlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #2

Have you checked the fluid to see if it's brown and burnt smelling? Also, if it has debris in it?
Probably either way, you're in for a rebuild.
Sounds like you've burned a clutch or two.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #3

My guess is the torque converter ballooned. Generally a result from pulling too hard in the wrong gear but it can occur due to age and improper maintenance. When this occurs it often takes the tranny with it because of the disc material in the converter getting into the trans. $2,500 to 3,000 should cover it......sorry.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Vin and Welcome to the Forum!

If the converter came apart internally it would make LOTS of nasty noises, even in Neutral/Park. Bunch of other assorted stuff can cause no forward motion. Low fluid, burned up clutch pack, main pump, sprag clutch, broken shaft, busted plantary cluster, even just a retention ring popping loose can do it.

Tough to diagnose digitally. Probably have to start pulling things apart to know for sure. Try dropping the pan and see what is in there. If lots of sparkly metal stuff, then replace tranny and converter.

Best of luck to ya, Bro!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #5

Thanks Guys
The fluid was fresh and It does make noise in park.I havent tried again to engage so it doesnt break more...? When I pull the pan if there is no junk down there would it be safe to just put new torque converter? I don't want to spend if I don't need to but I don't want to do twice either. Your combined thoughts have already been very helpful. When torque converters go bad on th400 do they usually take tranny out too?
Thanks Vin
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

^^^Sadly, yes. Although the T400 was in my opinion, the strongest tranny available at the time, it is as you know a non-overdrive transmission. It is just as vulnerable to TC converter failure as any other. Not to sound preachy but, contained within the converter are discs. Depending upon the power placed upon them they can be single, double or triple. I do not want to stray from the topic but, double and triple discs are most often used in high horsepower applications. I run a triple in my '97 Dodge dually.

In your situation although I am not a fortune teller, my prediction is that you will need a complete rebuild on the tranny and a replacement on the TC. If indeed that turns out to be the case, you should explore replacing the T400 with an overdrive trans provided the rear end ratio will allow it. Your fuel mileage will increase and the performance will not suffer. Talk to an experienced tranny builder, not AAmco and get a lot of opinions and a warranty before making a decision.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

LOL for real..Maybe I need fortune teller forum..But I have hope now its only torque converter so I will tear it out and see if tranny shop will tell me if tranny ok. I do understand the trouble with diagnosing over email..I've seen it and heard it and still can't even tell whats wrong for sure. Thank you again
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I had a 454 with turbo 400 and the torque converter went out. The symptom; when you first start off it feels like you are in 3rd gear. You have absolutely no feeling of power from a standing start. The torque converter multiplies the engine torque that's why automatics feel strong when you first start moving. If you put an automatic in gear and press on the throttle and the vehicle does not move it is a sign of a bad transmission. Sorry for the bad news.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
^^^Sadly, yes. Although the T400 was in my opinion, the strongest tranny available at the time, it is as you know a non-overdrive transmission. It is just as vulnerable to TC converter failure as any other. Not to sound preachy but, contained within the converter are discs. Depending upon the power placed upon them they can be single, double or triple. I do not want to stray from the topic but, double and triple discs are most often used in high horsepower applications. I run a triple in my '97 Dodge dually.

In your situation although I am not a fortune teller, my prediction is that you will need a complete rebuild on the tranny and a replacement on the TC. If indeed that turns out to be the case, you should explore replacing the T400 with an overdrive trans provided the rear end ratio will allow it. Your fuel mileage will increase and the performance will not suffer. Talk to an experienced tranny builder, not AAmco and get a lot of opinions and a warranty before making a decision.
There are no clutch disc in a 1988 T400 torque converter. I would try changing the filter. If you hear a rattling noise in nuetral check the flywheel for cracks or loose bolts this is common on these units.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #10

^^^^I have learned that here is not the place to argue, so I'll leave it alone. To the OP, I hope your problem is not catastrophic.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #11

trans and converters go hand in hand....for best results...do them both...not just 1 or the other.
Cracked flywheel? while you may have a cracked flywheel(and yes it is common)...the flywheel has to be broken into at least 2 pieces for the vehicle not to move
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #12

Thank you all for your help. From your notes on what torque converters do when they go bad. I dropped the tranny and changed converter and the flywheel (it was cracked too) Now shes runnin great. You helped me save at least $1000 and more important stopped me from just giving up on it..Truely Thank you Vin

Tags
converter, transmission