Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #1

We will be making our first long trip in a MH in early May 08. Going from Venice, FL to the Jersey shore, much of it via I-95.

My question - what tips/advice can you provide regarding highway restrictions/limitations? For example, besides the Baltimore tunnel, are there any other tunnels or bridges along this route that restrict a MH due to propane onboard? What about height or weight restrictions or limitations on overall length (will be taking the toad with us)?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
NavlAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #2

We will be making our first long trip in a MH in early May 08. Going from Venice, FL to the Jersey shore, much of it via I-95.

My question - what tips/advice can you provide regarding highway restrictions/limitations? For example, besides the Baltimore tunnel, are there any other tunnels or bridges along this route that restrict a MH due to propane onboard? What about height or weight restrictions or limitations on overall length (will be taking the toad with us)?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Having done the trip to Florida and back several times, the only restrictions I ever had was the Baltimore Tunnel. Look for the signs that say Key Bridge for the loop. I've taken alternate routes thru Chesapeake Bay and several tunnel Bridges around Hampton Roads and only had to turn off the propane for a short time. Where at the Shore will you be staying?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Unless you're planning on sightseeing, I'd suggest you avoid DC and Baltimore areas. I believe, others will confirm this.

South of Fredericksburg, VA take Rt17 to Rt301 (thru Annapolis go over the Bay Bridge). You can either stay on Rt301 to I95 or take 301 to 299 to either 1 or 13 up to I95. Not as complex as it sounds.

If needed, Fredericksburg - Washington DC KOA is south of Rt17 and a good spot to overnight.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #5

Funny, I just wrote about our trip from Maryland to Florida on our blog. Here's the link
http://werv4fun.com/blog/2008/03/31/...rida-via-i-95/

We visited Williamsburg on the way back, then continued to Norfolk via the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel up the DelMarVa peninsula. Not sure where in NJ you're headed, but it's a very pretty ride and will let you out up near Wilmington, DE, so it may actually save some time, depending on when you're traveling.

Avoid DC and Baltimore during rush hour (south into the cities in the am and north out of the cities in the pm) unless you like to sit in lots of traffic, that is

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I travel from South Carolina to Southern NJ often and have settled on this route.
I95 north to above Richmond, VA. I do not use 295 around Richmond. (Flying J at Carmel Church exit 104) I then use 301 north and connect with I97 to I895 to go over the Key Bridge. It then winds around to connect back with I95 above Baltimore. Then I95 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It will then be your choice as to what route to take since I head down rt 40 towards Atlantic City and this is not the greatest road. You could 295 to the Atlantic City Expressway if you are headed to the AC area.

Found the route to be good with traffic, only lights on 301. Totally avoids the mess in Washington.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I travel from South Carolina to Southern NJ often and have settled on this route.
I95 north to above Richmond, VA. I do not use 295 around Richmond. (Flying J at Carmel Church) I then use 301 north and connect with I97 to I895 to go over the Key Bridge. It then winds around to connect back with I95 above Baltimore. Then I95 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It will then be your choice as to what route to take since I head down rt 40 towards Atlantic City and this is not the greatest road. You could 295 to the Atlantic City Expressway if you are headed to the AC area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good route. However, since I have relatives in the DC area I have to go fight the traffic there. Plan to stay at an RV Park in College Park, MD, a suburb of DC, and then take the toad to Alexandria, VA to see relatives.

Thanks again
Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">since I have relatives in the DC area I have to go fight the traffic there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since you're already north of DC you might as well bite the bullet and continue around Baltimore. If you time your departure right you should be OK.
Heading home, if not stopping in DC again, I'd suggest you avoid Baltimore/DC and take one of the routes mentioned.
Enjoy the trip.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
check out chesepeake bay bridge tunnel and than Lewes ferry to cape may, with the price of fuel bridge and ferry tolls may be a wash

Happy Trails to you
Sal Avitabile