Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Right now you may not take ANY form of poultry, including eggs into Canada due to bird flu. I live 15 min from Canada border so go back and forth a lot. If traveling with a pet you MUST carry proof of rabies to go into CA and now to get back in US.

Passport of course and up to date vehicle insurance papers.

Be careful of produce and plants as well.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
I just spent 2 weeks in Ontario, Canada. Getting into Canada was easy but getting back into the USA was not. My motorhome was not searched but there were a lot of questions and repeated questions. To make sure you gave the same answers. I made sure that I had no fresh fruit or vegetables going either way. Just plan to stock up once you cross the boarder each way. The Canadian roads are lined with roadside farm markets too. I found that MasterCard was the preferred cc and at times the ONLY one business's would accept. Call you credit cards and find out their foreign exchange rate and use the card with the lowest. CapitalOne did not charge me any foreign exchange rate on my MasterCard. Also, change your money at a Canadian Bank for the best rate and also expect to pay a service fee of about $2.50. Always pay in Canadian and try not to bring much back with you because it is a hassle to change it back to dollars once in the USA. Seems only a major bank like Chase or WellsFargo will change it and only if you have an account with them. They take the Canadian money and send it "somewhere?" and then deposit the dollars into your account. Also, I had a hard time finding propane for my motorhome and actually never did find a place to fill my tank. The campgrounds only filled tanks that could be taken off the RV. I was later told that I looked in the wrong places, that Canadians used propane but I could not find any. I ended up having enough that I did not run out before coming back. All in all I had a great time and would go back in a heart beat!!! Have a good time!

Old 09-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

Will gladly exchange Canadian $ for US $. No fees, dollar for dollar if you come to Ontario
Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #18

Just spent a week in Canada

Crossed from US into Canada at houlton, Maine. Canadian customs had me open my slides and checked a few cabinets. All was good and on my way in 10 minutes. All food was ok.
Came back to US through St. Stephens. Fellow asked what we had in fridge. Went through it with us an took our lemons, limes and tomatoes. We had already tossed the eggs and frozen chicken. All other food was ok. Uneven truly and everyone was pleasant. Just wish the weather had been better.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #19

Winkler Manitoba , if you stand on the roof of your RV you can see the border, from there.
Nice little town with the Triple EEE RV factory still running I hope. Been five years since I was through.
I'm sure you've got all the info you need for your trip.

Safe travels.

EDIT: Take your RV height and convert it to metric and post the number on your dash, just in case you find an underpass and panic because you don't know if you'll clear.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Winkler Manitoba , if you stand on the roof of your RV you can see the border, from there.
Nice little town with the Triple EEE RV factory still running I hope. Been five years since I was through.
I'm sure you've got all the info you need for your trip.

Safe travels.

EDIT: Take your RV height and convert it to metric and post the number on your dash, just in case you find an underpass and panic because you don't know if you'll clear.

And we can see you standing up there like a fool lol !!! J/k
Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
And we can see you standing up there like a fool lol !!! J/k
I only went up there to remind myself what the Rockies looked like.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper19709 View Post
I just spent 2 weeks in Ontario, Canada. Getting into Canada was easy but getting back into the USA was not. My motorhome was not searched but there were a lot of questions and repeated questions. To make sure you gave the same answers. I made sure that I had no fresh fruit or vegetables going either way. Just plan to stock up once you cross the boarder each way. The Canadian roads are lined with roadside farm markets too. I found that MasterCard was the preferred cc and at times the ONLY one business's would accept. Call you credit cards and find out their foreign exchange rate and use the card with the lowest. CapitalOne did not charge me any foreign exchange rate on my MasterCard. Also, change your money at a Canadian Bank for the best rate and also expect to pay a service fee of about $2.50. Always pay in Canadian and try not to bring much back with you because it is a hassle to change it back to dollars once in the USA. Seems only a major bank like Chase or WellsFargo will change it and only if you have an account with them. They take the Canadian money and send it "somewhere?" and then deposit the dollars into your account. Also, I had a hard time finding propane for my motorhome and actually never did find a place to fill my tank. The campgrounds only filled tanks that could be taken off the RV. I was later told that I looked in the wrong places, that Canadians used propane but I could not find any. I ended up having enough that I did not run out before coming back. All in all I had a great time and would go back in a heart beat!!! Have a good time!
I live in Ontario and I agree with you about trying to find propane here. I have only ever filled my propane tank during visits to the U.S. I'm sure they sell it somewhere here, but I have never seen it conveniently located on my travel routes.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #23

Went into Canada through Blaine Washington. I was on a 9 month trip and smoked at the time I didn't report 2 cartons of cigarettes at the time as they were scattered throughout the motor home, They tore my motor home apart, fined me 750 canadian and deported me. I had 3 or 4 packs of smokes in 3 or 4 different places, they brought a dog and I thought I was John Dillinger for a minute.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #24

Would have been a lot more pleasant trip had you reported them.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #25

I live in Nova Scotia...propane can be bought usually at any truck stop...

If your are desperate, some people heat and many people cook with propane so there usually are at least one or two companies in each town that you could approach.

What I found hard this summer when we went through Quebec and Ontario, was filling up with diesel..I have two tanks (one on each side) and you need special credit cards to fill at the "truck" pumps so I usually just filled one tank at a time..

You also have to be careful pulling off and gassing up in Quebec, we are 51 foot and several gas stations we pulled into just couldn't handle a rig of our length. I gather rthe new garmin RV gps can handle this problem.

Great thread...
Old 09-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I live in Ontario and I agree with you about trying to find propane here. I have only ever filled my propane tank during visits to the U.S. I'm sure they sell it somewhere here, but I have never seen it conveniently located on my travel routes.

Your profile doesn't show where you are but there's lots of them around. From your user name I'm going to guess you're in Central Ontario. You can get propane in Barrie, Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Huntsville just to name a few.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went to Chilliwack, BC this past weekend for four days for a dog show in my MoHo.

Zero issues going up or coming home. They asked me if I'd been at the dog show ...four dogs and a stack of ribbons seemed legit I guess . Lol

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #28

My mother and sister live in chilliwack and we're both at the dog show !! Lol
Small world

Tags
ada, travel