Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 AM   #1

I have a DS 3666 puller and want to travel north into NC, SC and Georgia during the winter. What do I need to do to winterize the water and piping while I am in that climate?

I plan on only a 10 day period so would appreciate any advice and experiences you may have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 AM   #2

I have a DS 3666 puller and want to travel north into NC, SC and Georgia during the winter. What do I need to do to winterize the water and piping while I am in that climate?

I plan on only a 10 day period so would appreciate any advice and experiences you may have.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a coach that will serve you very well in the areas you intend to travel. Before you leave Fla. have your propane tank filled an have your heater an hw on when you hit the cold weather area. There is also a switch in your water bay to put on to move the heat thru out your holding tank areas. I have traveled around N.E. in the winter never had a problem. If you have trouble with water hose freezing while in a camp ground use a heat tape or fill water tank if not in camp grounds. -----"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #4

Thanks 007 for the reply. I will pick up a heat tape before I go. Will find the switch for the holding tank bay.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #5

We have a 2004 Kountry Star gas (KSCA 3740) . I don't recall seeing a switch to direct heat into the lower compartments. Is it only on the diesal models?
PairoDocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
YES you have a switch in your water compartment, I beleive its marked heat fan, its snowing outside right now an cold so I really don't want to check right now.I have had one on my other Newmar's also 98,99,03, its next to your water hose connections. By the way how did you make out with your air-intake cap? ---"007"
Old 01-16-2005, 07:01 PM   #7

We placed the rubber strip you described, and have the air intake scoop partly covered...I'm still concerned that will limit air intake. The MPG seemed to drop (after initially going up with the Banks system) after the air intake was modified We are still waiting for a hard rain to test out your idea. If it works well, I plan on removing the half moon shaped cover in front of the air intake. I will let you know. I don't recall the switch you describe, but it is cold and the KS is stored 2 miles away. Thanks for your assistance. I also added the Bilsteins. They clearly make a difference.
PairoDocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Feel free to remove the cap the fix will work, I have already been thru a driving rain storm, air-tube was dry as a bone, no problems. Driver, who feels the same way that I do, the more air the better, thats the reason for the Banks sys, was going to check out info about the caps that Newmar& Fleetwood are putting on with WH. Haven't heard back from him yet.---"007" P.S. The fan we have been talking about cycles with the furnace, as it cycles on an off.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #9

Sailor, we spent the last 2 weeks of December 45 miles NW of Boston parked in our son's driveway. Other than using bunches of propane all workrd well with several nights in the teens and with wind chill posibly even single digits. When we were in coach and not sleeping we ran a portable electric heater to augment furnace. If you get concerned with fresh water freezing you could leave 1 faucet on drip at night. I would not leave gray tank open as some do in summer, in fact I disconnected 3" slinky when not actually using it to keep cold air outside compartment as much as possible. Good luck and have fun, Ken Roberts, Crossville, TN, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #10

007 IT is cold outside but I had to know, my MH a KSCA 3560, 04 does not have a switch in water comp. except for water pump.the heat from furnace blows into the comp. any tine it is on. Have been out in teen cold with no problem
Dale
crouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It maybe that Newmar has discontinued putting in the blower on the 04 an up MH's, my 03 has it and the older ones I had, someone else had said they didn't see it on their 04. It was reassuring that it was there but as long as your compartments are warm you should be ok. You could install one but not sure how you could control with cycle, off an on, of the furnace. Oh by the way Welcome to irv2 DALE---"007"
Old 01-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #12

OO7 : is it possible yours has an optional "artic pack" or similar cold weather package?? My 03 ksca3740 w-22 has no such switch. I seem to remember water tank heat pads as an option, but I did not get that either.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its possible ED, I purchased off a dealers lot, the coach has every option on it, never did get a ordering list from dealer. My other two Newmars had the same switch also, one of them did have the cold weather package, because I had the order list from that dealer. SORRY if I have misled people,will check mine further.---"007"
Old 01-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PairoDocs:
We have a 2004 Kountry Star gas (KSCA 3740) . I don't recall seeing a switch to direct heat into the lower compartments. Is it only on the diesal models? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They eliminated the switches in 2004. I had a 2003 Scottsdale with the switch, and now I have a 2004 Scottsdale that doesn't have a switch.