Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #15

I agree about bring prepared with Hurricane season just started, nice to know you can be self contained while on the road. I try to run with 1/3 (20gl) of a tank for one or two days. If we had a storm coming I would fill it up.

Mostlyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #16

The Dangers of the Tank Half Full

Did you know that truck drivers need a special endorsement in order to pull a tanker? The reason being, that all that liquid sloshing around can literally pull you off the road, throw you in the ditch, etc. The most dangerous time for them is when the tank is not full. When it is full, it can't slosh around, but anything less than full is considered very dangerous. So consider your 100 gallon fresh tank weighs over 800 lbs, but if it is full, it won't slosh or move. If it is half full, you have over 400 lbs working against you, every time you start, stop, or turn. Think of it like a 400 lb bowling ball loose in your motorhome.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But the OTR trucks are dealing with 20,000 plus gallons of liquid...not 100 gallons or less. Sure there is some sloshing and the forces involved with it, but they are negligible when you consider the weight of the RV. A problem does result if the RV manufacturer does not provide adequate bracing to support the tank. If this is the case, I'd be concerned about the RV and a full tank more than a nearly empty tank.

The RV manufacturers could easily help the sloshing issue by only using tanks with baffles to dampen the sloshing.

Ken
Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #18

I Agree, But To Be Sure We All Have The Facts

I agree, 400 to 800 pounds of water is a relatively small percentage of the total weight of a motorhome. It is really not something that most of us notice either way. But, just to set the record straight most tankers can only haul about 5,000 gallons. Do the math. Gross weight for truck trailer and load is 80,000 pounds. Most trucks and trailers will scale at 35,000 to 40,000 pounds. That leaves about 40-45,000 pounds for liquid, or 5,000 gallons of water. Other liquids, such as gasoline do weigh somewhat less than water, but not much less....
Old 06-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
But the OTR trucks are dealing with 20,000 plus gallons of liquid...not 100 gallons or less. Sure there is some sloshing and the forces involved with it, but they are negligible when you consider the weight of the RV. A problem does result if the RV manufacturer does not provide adequate bracing to support the tank. If this is the case, I'd be concerned about the RV and a full tank more than a nearly empty tank.

The RV manufacturers could easily help the sloshing issue by only using tanks with baffles to dampen the sloshing.

Ken
20,000 plus gallons ?????? Where did you ever see a truck pulling a tank THAT big?? 8500 tops
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If we're going on a long trip I fill the freshwater tank. We frequently stop at Wally World for the night and want to have plenty of water for showers, toilet, and drinking. When we finish the trip I drain the tank so it doesn't get stale.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Is there any danger traveling with full fresh water tanks? I heard that it can void a warranty on new vehicles if they travel for "long distances" with full tanks because it is over the rear axle. What about older RV's (I have a 2007 Dutchman)? Are there places along the New York thruway to stop and fill your tanks?

There is no danger from filling your water tanks unless you have so much stuff in your rig that the extra water puts you over your gvwr.

With full fuel and water our rig comes in a couple thousand below gvwr so I don't hesitate to fill the water up.

FYI How would a warranty company know your weights anyhow?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As 800 lbs of water is less than 10% of our CCC, we travel with a full tank. When we traveled with a "small" travel trailer, the extra water weight was a significant factor and I'd try to estimate what we'd need to get to and while at our destination.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always travel with a full fresh water, first time you get to a campground with sulfur water you will too, every time Im at a campground with good water it gets toped off.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Full for me. I've traveled both full and empty, and haven't noticed any difference in mpg, so why not travel with a good reserve. One time we arrived at a cg that lost power, and therefore their well pump was not providing water. It was no problem for us with a 105 gals in reserve.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #25

Like many above we also travel always with a full tank. With a tag axle we would have to start carrying gold bars before we would be overweight.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I try to have at least tank or about 50 gallons. That way I don't get surprised if we have to boondock overnight or run into bad water. I've never noticed a difference either with the tank full or empty.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
Did you know that truck drivers need a special endorsement in order to pull a tanker? The reason being, that all that liquid sloshing around can literally pull you off the road, throw you in the ditch, etc. The most dangerous time for them is when the tank is not full. When it is full, it can't slosh around, but anything less than full is considered very dangerous. So consider your 100 gallon fresh tank weighs over 800 lbs, but if it is full, it won't slosh or move. If it is half full, you have over 400 lbs working against you, every time you start, stop, or turn. Think of it like a 400 lb bowling ball loose in your motorhome.
Mike, the 400# bowling ball explantion , IROFLO i love it

peter d
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We only keep our fresh water tanks full during hurricane season when we are not traveling. The added weight makes our MH a little more stable.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water