Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Full for me. I've traveled both full and empty, and haven't noticed any difference in mpg, so why not travel with a good reserve. One time we arrived at a cg that lost power, and therefore their well pump was not providing water. It was no problem for us with a 105 gals in reserve.
Same here. We showed up at a CG that had just opened for the season and had not turned on all the water. We had a full tank, our friends who came empty did not. Guess who smelled a little rough the next morning?

I have never found a difference in mileage with any of my tanks full or empty. Headwinds make a far bigger distance.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
The only difference that I have noted with full or empty water tanks is when we can have coffee in the morning and shower or brush teeth in the morning to get ready for work. Or any number of things that you don't realize that you need some water for and the other ones around you do not have it because the campgrounds water is off for 12 hours or more and they all thought they did not need to keep some in their tanks.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #31

A full tank gives you the weight to hold the road. It lowers the center of gravity of your MH . Not much affect in MPG so safety is a must.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
We drink the water in our tank and we know that it's chlorinated city water which will not grow algae or have issues. It's also water were use to drinking. When you top your tank off at odd places, you could be getting well water or some other water that has not been treated. It may require you to dump and flush it out at home or it may grow things. Have you ever tasted AZ water....yuck! Some will say that they only use bottled water for cooking and drinking and that's great, but we don't go to hat extent.

On a gasser, with a large tank 75-100 gallons, I might be inclined to carry about half a tank, but on a DP, it's really not going to make any difference and won't affect your mileage. On my coach, it rides smoother with full tanks.
Az water? I lived in Prescott Az. for nine years and the water was as good or better than some water in Or.Some well water taste bad but usually city water is pretty good.Granted Bullhead city,Az water is like black water from the tank but it is like that all over that city
Old 06-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
Az water? I lived in Prescott Az. for nine years and the water was as good or better than some water in Or.Some well water taste bad but usually city water is pretty good.Granted Bullhead city,Az water is like black water from the tank but it is like that all over that city
If AZ water is so good then why are there water stations all over in Yuma?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If AZ water is so good then why are there water stations all over in Yuma?
All of AZ is not Yuma.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #35

Full fresh water, full fuel, full propane and empty black and grey tanks is my preferred travel mode. One never knows what awaits you over the next hill or around the next bend. I even look for places to refuel/fill as my tanks reach 1/2.

I also carry a good supply of food and other necessities to last several days just in case. I even carry a pump so I can fill from any body of water should the need arise. Have filled from clean lakes/springs when this was the only practical option.

I have operated this way for more than 45 years on a variety of rigs and on many occasions it has saved us from misfortune or being inconvenienced.

The advantages of being prepared for the unknown/unplanned event by far, outweigh any minor MPG improvement IMHO. And as someone noted, more weight down low does improve C of G, thus improves coach stability.

As for warranty not being valid if one is travelling with full tanks - well if this is true, which I suspect it is not, I would unload (sell) that coach in a heartbeat.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #36

We took our old Class-C for a 20 mile test drive last week with a full tank of water. I didn't notice any difference in handling than when the tank was about 1/2 full.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We took our old Class-C for a 20 mile test drive last week with a full tank of water. I didn't notice any difference in handling than when the tank was about 1/2 full.
Laws of Physics dictate a lower C of G = > stability.

A few hundred pounds difference might not be noticed by driving (depends of ratio of wt change to overall wt) but the vehicle will be more stable as you lower the center of gravity.

It depends on where the wt is applied also. Forward or aft of the axels can change the vehicle handling dynamics.

Tags
water