Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I think it's an 80% thing.. As many of you know a Propane tank should not be filled more than 80%, and in fact if you have an Overfill Protection Device it cuts off at 80%.

Let's assume you fill the tank with water at an average temp of 60 degrees, as you drive it heats up to say 90 from sun on the RV. and expands.. Now your full tank explodes from the internal pressure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We travel with no more than 1/3 tank of fresh water unless we are going where the water quality is questionable, water might be hard to find or we're only going a short distance,(100 miles or less). I wouldn't like the idea of carrying an extra 500-1000lbs any further than I have to.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting discussion. With our old TrailManor trailer I never carried water since we never boondocked, I didn't want the extra weight, and we wouldn't set it up just to use the bathroom. Now that we have the C type, I'm still figuring out what works best.

I hadn't considered the idea of having at least some freshwater in the event of a breakdown... I don't know if I'd keep the tank full, since we don't use the rig a lot, and I'd be wondering about the quality of water left in the tank for several weeks - so I'd be dumping water & refilling. I wouldn't want to waste water unnecessarily.

To the OP - contact Jayco's customer service & ask 'em. I've used their online contact multiple times since buying our rig and have been very impressed with their responsiveness. If you do, please post their reply...

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
WOW, just read through the whole thread and what strikes me is in your quote is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemaz View Post
Do not travel with Full water in the Fresh, Gray, or Black tanks.
This tells me that none of the tanks should be full when traveling, quite the hard thing to do if you boondock a lot.

If I had the situation I'd take it to a scale with 1/4-1/2 fresh water and all your stuff on board and get front and rear weights, do a bit of math taking the location of your tanks into consideration. That will tell you if it's an axle overweight issue. If they are indeed behind the rear axle there's a good possibility that having them full will unload the front and overload the back.

Then inspect the mountings, having 320lbs of water bouncing around on bumps takes a pretty sturdy mounting structure. If it looks minimal to you it probably is.

Also contact the manufacturer, they may give you a straight answer, if it is an issue they also may be evasive, turn on your BS detector.

My bet is that the location of the tanks is such that weight/balance is an issue and you will find a way to live with it. I always have at least 1/4 tank (25gal) on board when traveling but rarely fill unless like today I'm taking off for a 4 day boondock.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Personally I think it's an 80% thing.. As many of you know a Propane tank should not be filled more than 80%, and in fact if you have an Overfill Protection Device it cuts off at 80%.

Let's assume you fill the tank with water at an average temp of 60 degrees, as you drive it heats up to say 90 from sun on the RV. and expands.. Now your full tank explodes from the internal pressure.
It sounds very exciting but could never happen due to the tank overflow vent. If the tank were sealed that tight, you would have a hard time pumping water out of it for a shower !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I agree with chuck 1935. I was looking for a when I was reading your post.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #35

We dry camp with gen. for power. So we haul our water there with full gas tank. Empty black/grey there; not so empty black/grey. I will drain water tank to 1/4 full for trip home.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #36

water tank will never explode from expanding water, could never happen. It would just come out the fill tube. Exploding water tank sounds like a James Bond film
Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We just crossed our great nations in both directions this past spring. We will never travel without a 100% full water tank. Both our "C" Class and our newer "A" Class have their water tanks between the axles. So with some of the "GOOD" drinking water we were subjected to in our voyage behind us we decided to fill 'er up whenever we found really good water. YMMV.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #38

Problem is we are all giving advice on what we do based on our motorhomes having no such warning, of if we do, we ignore it.

The OP asked about his specific MH and the quite unambiguous restrictions clearly stated in his operating instructions. I would have thought by law, those restrictions aren't negotiable and if he wants to ignore it that is his choice, but perhaps not sensible for us to say "we run with full tanks so you can too".

I think many MH owners - especially those smaller than big class As - and travel trailer owners as well, would get a bit of a shock if they loaded up as normal for a trip and then put the vehicle over the weighbridge.

BTW - a completely FULL tank doesn't need baffles because the water can't slosh.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
water tank will never explode from expanding water, could never happen. It would just come out the fill tube. Exploding water tank sounds like a James Bond film
If they vent isn't big enough or it's plugged you COULD get a rupture, but it wouldn't be an "explosion"

I keep the water tank about 50% full which is 50+ gallons and the black and grey are usually empty except for what we use in a couple days.
105 gal. fresh water
65 gal. grey tank
35 gal. black tank
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #40

50 gallons of water heating up from freezing to 100F would expand by nearly 1/2 a gallon.

But the coefficient of expansion of the materials commonly used to make water tanks is such that the volume of the tank would expand by more than 1/2 gallon so no need to panic too much.

Even if the tank itself didn't expand, any flat-sided tank will bulge more than enough to accommodate far more than half a gallon.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
50 gallons of water heating up from freezing to 100F would expand by nearly 1/2 a gallon.
I thought water expands when it freezes?

To the OP--I agree with the others who suggested calling Jayco and asking them what the deal is.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Carolina Campers
very lite duty

I made a big mistake and was filling the fresh water tank, got doing something else and forgot about the hose filling the tank. When it got full the tank kept expanding and broke the angle and cross suports that hold the tank in place. When I took the underbelly covering down to fix the supports I couldnt believe how cheap the supports were. SO I could see running the road how, with a full tank one might loose his fresh water tank. Just saying

Tags
water