Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Trip Planning

Being new to RVing I was wondering if there is a "rule of thumb" when planing RV trips and the distance one can expect to reasonably cover each day on the way to a destination site. For example PA to AcadiaNational Park area. I realize everyone has different driving styles just would like to know if most RVers reserve campsites for a day or two along the way to a destination or just "wing it"

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #2

Nope! No rules.
Sometimes totally planned.
Sometimes partially.
But the best plan is often no plan.

However.....
You will find your own pace.
Some are purely destination oriented, and drive a kajillion hours and miles.
When traveling, 300 miles and a nice campground early is our pace.
Never in a hurry.
The Journey is Our Destination!

Ponder it.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE.

This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor. Bah Hawbah is pretty much a place to pay too much for foreign made T-shirts.

After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots.
In mid August the wild blueberries are full, and 10 to 13 a quart in BH, but as little as $3 a quart in Whiting and other towns further along. And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also.
And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome.

Check it out here:
http://davenola.blogspot.com/search?...date=false&m=1

Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For planning purposes figure on an average speed of 50 MPH and decide how many hours you want to drive. 8 hours will see you ~400 miles down the road (as far as Bangor anyway).
Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Think I saw these guidelines on here earlier in the year. I thought they were pretty good. Follow the 2-2-2-2 Plan:
-Drive no more than 200 miles per day
-Be off the road by 2:00
-Spend at least 2 nights at each stop
-Relax with 2 drinks when you get to your site

Some RVers will use the 3-3-3-3 Plan in order to make the last guideline more enjoyable.

The other advice (above) is valid, as well.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

When we are on the road going someplace specific, I'll drive for 9 - 10 hours a day. We'll stop for a leisurely lunch (and sometimes dinner), but spend most of the day driving. The coach's driving position is comfortable and it drives like a dream, so it does not tire me out. On the interstates the cruise is set on the speed limit, up to 70 mph where the speed limit allows. I'll typically make 450 to 600 miles in a day.

On the other hand, if we are just "traveling" I'll cut the hours to 5 to 6 hours of driving, but I still move along at the speed limit.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #7

Since we travel with our Labs, they kind of set the pace for the day. Not a bad thing, as if it was up to me, I would drive for several hours with out stopping. Traveling with the Labs, I end up stopping every few hours so they can take a 'potty' break. It also gives me a chance to stretch. I try and be on the road between 7-8AM and start looing for a place to stop for the night about 5-6PM. There are times that we only travel a couple hundred miles in a day and then there are time that we cover 600-700 miles. These make for long days and I try to limit the long ones. We also plan on staying at a good camp ground (full hook ups) about every three days or so. That gives us a chance to dump/fill all of the tanks and for good long showers.
Since we are now both retired, we tend to take our trips a little slower and not cover so many miles a day.
The main thing is to be safe and enjoy the trip.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #8

We normally do the 'No Reservations' mode of travel. We visited Bar Harbor/Acadia NP in early Sept. last year, so we had no problem finding a CG. Stayed at Bar Harbor Campground(they do not take reservations). I have heard that you probably can't get away with that at peak season in this area. We took 10 days to get there and did not use any reservations... no problem.

We would like to go back to see the 'real' Maine earlier in the season and wonder if the no res. mode will work further up the coast during 'peak' season. (???)

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We plan where we want to go, but not when we want to get there! We just go to the first destination, stay there until we see all we want to see, then move on to the next.

We like to travel about 250 to 300 miles per day, with frequent stops to stretch or get a cold bottle of water.

Works for us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #10

BTW, in peak season with a specific schedule, advance reservations are needed. Sometimes waaay in advance, depending on the location

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I wish I had the luxury of being able to wander! Discovery of hidden jewels is the best part of RVing to me. I don't get to do that often as I still work but I can dream! Most trips I have to plan carefully to get to the destination & back and I plan on 300 miles per day if not in a real hurry and 400 if we just really have to run to get there. I plan the daily stops and look for campgrounds for a stop (I am not fond of Walmart parking). I use the Garmin to see what's around and RV Park Reviews to see what people say about it. I also use Google or Bing and look at the place. So you can see I am not good with winging it!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
I wish I had the luxury of being able to wander! Discovery of hidden jewels is the best part of RVing to me. I don't get to do that often as I still work but I can dream! Most trips I have to plan carefully to get to the destination & back and I plan on 300 miles per day if not in a real hurry and 400 if we just really have to run to get there. I plan the daily stops and look for campgrounds for a stop (I am not fond of Walmart parking). I use the Garmin to see what's around and RV Park Reviews to see what people say about it. I also use Google or Bing and look at the place. So you can see I am not good with winging it!
I hear you, and remember those days. However...
We often vacationed with the No Plan Plan. We had no destination, but knew we were going to take a journey.

Saturday morning, the MH packed and ready, we would look at the weather channel and say, "Its going to be nice in that direction for a few days". And we would just leave, go about 4 hours, find a nice CG, set up, and explore new-to-us territory.
There we always nifty things to see and do. Always!
If the weather got rough, Weather Channel!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #13

Frankie,

In years of traveling, we have seldom made reservations more than a day in advance. This is a Motorhome board, and most MH are capable of being quite self contained. So, if you can't find a campground, find a flatspot.

As to how far a day, you will have to figure that out for yourself. When we are forced into travel mode, we can do 800~1000 miles a day (2 drivers and a comfortable coach). We don't like it. Figure out what you want to see and get a basic plan going. Learn to work one of the navigators.

Matt