Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AZ Mountains
Posts: 394
I've never seen streets & trips. . . .is it a software package that interfaces with your PC? I guess I should check it out on google. What is the price for this gem?
__________________

__________________
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
rgvtexan's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NE WA or S TX
Posts: 2,239
S&T is great! Go to the POI factory and you can download the Mega POI file. Thousand of Points of Interest. Fuel stops, State and Nat. Parks, PA camp grouns and lots of other POIs. As said eailer 60 day free trial and you can add a GPS. Happy Camper since 04.
__________________

__________________
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brakemaster, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
One of the nicer features of Microsoft Streets & Trips is the ability to tell the program how long you like to drive (from 9am to 1pm is our preference), what sort of routing you prefer (fastest, shortest or based on avoiding toll roads, staying on interstates or only driving secondary roads, etc - you can even tell it you want the fastest routing through one section of your trip and scenic secondary roads on another) and your typical speed relative to other traffic.

It will then break your trip into travel days according to your preferences.

There are also adjunct programs like RV Directions 2011 that let you create "overlays" on your S&T map of campgrounds, Walmarts, low bridges and underpasses and a million other POIs.

None of the good mapping programs are inexpensive (except there is a free trial of S&T) but they are worth every penny if you love to plan.
__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
I've never seen streets & trips. . . .is it a software package that interfaces with your PC? I guess I should check it out on google. What is the price for this gem?
The newest version. You can buy it with or without the GPS dongle. It will run off your PC, and functions both as a trip planner/map maker and a onboard GPS with voice prompts

There is a learning curve but its a fun program.
__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,203
Aw! Come on now! How many times do I have to post this information.

1. Go into Google maps.
2. select the city you are in
3. select the directions to the city you want to go to.
NOW PAY ATTENTION
4. At the right side of the GOOGLE Logo at the top left of the page type in these words:
RV Parks
Then click on the "Blue" search magnifying glass on the right hand side of that line
5. You route is showing, and the map is populated with RV Parks
6. It is your responsibility to weed out the inaccurate ones since sometimes Google gives you what Google thinks you want to see.

Change the words in #4 to "Mexican Restaurant," without the quotes, or put in any word or name you may be looking for.

Besides Google, try bing.com/maps. Their BirdsEye view of rv parks is great when there is a BirdsEye view.

So, don't belittle the on-line map programs as they do a very good job of displaying the information a person is looking for. They are not just a "routing" program.

I also like MS S&T when I'm on a PC, but I use both methodologies.

Happy trails.

p.s., MS S&T will work with just about any USB Gps antenna. I have MS S&T and Co Pilot antennas and they both work on MS S&T. I have not tried both on Co Pilot and I don't care to.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
hamguy's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
Posts: 1,806
I tried your suggestion and found it sadly lacking. It took me out of my way (from proven routes) and their POIs (campgrounds and Mex food were missing many and some were true dumps.

Perhaps I am still on the learning curve but 9 years of S&T allows me to plan my 4000 mile summer runs faster and better (more comfortably).

I use GOOGLE EARTH to over view the CG and I use RVPARKREVIEWS to evaluate them.

I still prefer S&T.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Aw! Come on now! How many times do I have to post this information.

1. Go into Google maps.
2. select the city you are in
3. select the directions to the city you want to go to.
NOW PAY ATTENTION
4. At the right side of the GOOGLE Logo at the top left of the page type in these words:
RV Parks
Then click on the "Blue" search magnifying glass on the right hand side of that line
5. You route is showing, and the map is populated with RV Parks
6. It is your responsibility to weed out the inaccurate ones since sometimes Google gives you what Google thinks you want to see.

Change the words in #4 to "Mexican Restaurant," without the quotes, or put in any word or name you may be looking for.

Besides Google, try bing.com/maps. Their BirdsEye view of rv parks is great when there is a BirdsEye view.

So, don't belittle the on-line map programs as they do a very good job of displaying the information a person is looking for. They are not just a "routing" program.

I also like MS S&T when I'm on a PC, but I use both methodologies.

Happy trails.

p.s., MS S&T will work with just about any USB Gps antenna. I have MS S&T and Co Pilot antennas and they both work on MS S&T. I have not tried both on Co Pilot and I don't care to.
__________________
Wretched excess is just barely enough.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
Registered User


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,198
Wayne, u. Like mex food too?
My favorite wothout a doubt.
__________________
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,203
I have nothing agains S&T and it is a great planning tool, just like any on-line mapping program as a planning tool. I never use one over the other but combine what I find to suit my needs. As a tool, once I see an on-line campground, restaurant, or any other service I do a little research to see the suitability for my and my families needs. RV Park Reviews, Urban Spoon, and other services help me in evaluating whether I want to camp there or eat there.

I have MS S&T and I have the satellite puck to go with it. However I use TomTom 740 Live for navigation, the others for planning.

Then for eating there is Restaurant Row, Zagats, and a host of other fine guides to fine eating. The mapping software including MS&T is a mapping program contained in a stand alone program with no updates other than construction. Like other mapping software I have had it try to direct me to areas I should not go to, or roads I should not drive on. I use the Discovery Owners Mega POI in my MS&T program, but it is not all inclusive and lacks in some areas.

To each his own. Nothing is foolproof, and sometimes I'm a fool.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I tried your suggestion and found it sadly lacking. It took me out of my way (from proven routes) and their POIs (campgrounds and Mex food were missing many and some were true dumps.

Perhaps I am still on the learning curve but 9 years of S&T allows me to plan my 4000 mile summer runs faster and better (more comfortably).

I use GOOGLE EARTH to over view the CG and I use RVPARKREVIEWS to evaluate them.

I still prefer S&T.
__________________

__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much trip planning do you do? Pogo Navigation, Routes & Roads 13 06-26-2011 11:13 AM
Best trip planner software? micd Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 22 07-06-2010 07:54 AM
Help planning Summer trip Ron & Dee Navigation, Routes & Roads 8 06-12-2009 08:31 AM
OR FIRST TRIP - this is a long one! Tom Sauls iRV2.com General Discussion 3 07-02-2007 07:59 PM
Prepping for long trip Ron & Dee Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 5 04-12-2007 10:20 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.