Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I've never seen streets & trips. . . .is it a software package that interfaces with your PC? I guess I should check it out on google. What is the price for this gem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
S&T is great! Go to the POI factory and you can download the Mega POI file. Thousand of Points of Interest. Fuel stops, State and Nat. Parks, PA camp grouns and lots of other POIs. As said eailer 60 day free trial and you can add a GPS. Happy Camper since 04.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
One of the nicer features of Microsoft Streets & Trips is the ability to tell the program how long you like to drive (from 9am to 1pm is our preference), what sort of routing you prefer (fastest, shortest or based on avoiding toll roads, staying on interstates or only driving secondary roads, etc - you can even tell it you want the fastest routing through one section of your trip and scenic secondary roads on another) and your typical speed relative to other traffic.

It will then break your trip into travel days according to your preferences.

There are also adjunct programs like RV Directions 2011 that let you create "overlays" on your S&T map of campgrounds, Walmarts, low bridges and underpasses and a million other POIs.

None of the good mapping programs are inexpensive (except there is a free trial of S&T) but they are worth every penny if you love to plan.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
I've never seen streets & trips. . . .is it a software package that interfaces with your PC? I guess I should check it out on google. What is the price for this gem?
The newest version. You can buy it with or without the GPS dongle. It will run off your PC, and functions both as a trip planner/map maker and a onboard GPS with voice prompts

There is a learning curve but its a fun program.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Aw! Come on now! How many times do I have to post this information.

1. Go into Google maps.
2. select the city you are in
3. select the directions to the city you want to go to.
NOW PAY ATTENTION
4. At the right side of the GOOGLE Logo at the top left of the page type in these words:
RV Parks
Then click on the "Blue" search magnifying glass on the right hand side of that line
5. You route is showing, and the map is populated with RV Parks
6. It is your responsibility to weed out the inaccurate ones since sometimes Google gives you what Google thinks you want to see.

Change the words in #4 to "Mexican Restaurant," without the quotes, or put in any word or name you may be looking for.

Besides Google, try bing.com/maps. Their BirdsEye view of rv parks is great when there is a BirdsEye view.

So, don't belittle the on-line map programs as they do a very good job of displaying the information a person is looking for. They are not just a "routing" program.

I also like MS S&T when I'm on a PC, but I use both methodologies.

Happy trails.

p.s., MS S&T will work with just about any USB Gps antenna. I have MS S&T and Co Pilot antennas and they both work on MS S&T. I have not tried both on Co Pilot and I don't care to.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried your suggestion and found it sadly lacking. It took me out of my way (from proven routes) and their POIs (campgrounds and Mex food were missing many and some were true dumps.

Perhaps I am still on the learning curve but 9 years of S&T allows me to plan my 4000 mile summer runs faster and better (more comfortably).

I use GOOGLE EARTH to over view the CG and I use RVPARKREVIEWS to evaluate them.

I still prefer S&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Aw! Come on now! How many times do I have to post this information.

1. Go into Google maps.
2. select the city you are in
3. select the directions to the city you want to go to.
NOW PAY ATTENTION
4. At the right side of the GOOGLE Logo at the top left of the page type in these words:
RV Parks
Then click on the "Blue" search magnifying glass on the right hand side of that line
5. You route is showing, and the map is populated with RV Parks
6. It is your responsibility to weed out the inaccurate ones since sometimes Google gives you what Google thinks you want to see.

Change the words in #4 to "Mexican Restaurant," without the quotes, or put in any word or name you may be looking for.

Besides Google, try bing.com/maps. Their BirdsEye view of rv parks is great when there is a BirdsEye view.

So, don't belittle the on-line map programs as they do a very good job of displaying the information a person is looking for. They are not just a "routing" program.

I also like MS S&T when I'm on a PC, but I use both methodologies.

Happy trails.

p.s., MS S&T will work with just about any USB Gps antenna. I have MS S&T and Co Pilot antennas and they both work on MS S&T. I have not tried both on Co Pilot and I don't care to.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne, u. Like mex food too?
My favorite wothout a doubt.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have nothing agains S&T and it is a great planning tool, just like any on-line mapping program as a planning tool. I never use one over the other but combine what I find to suit my needs. As a tool, once I see an on-line campground, restaurant, or any other service I do a little research to see the suitability for my and my families needs. RV Park Reviews, Urban Spoon, and other services help me in evaluating whether I want to camp there or eat there.

I have MS S&T and I have the satellite puck to go with it. However I use TomTom 740 Live for navigation, the others for planning.

Then for eating there is Restaurant Row, Zagats, and a host of other fine guides to fine eating. The mapping software including MS&T is a mapping program contained in a stand alone program with no updates other than construction. Like other mapping software I have had it try to direct me to areas I should not go to, or roads I should not drive on. I use the Discovery Owners Mega POI in my MS&T program, but it is not all inclusive and lacks in some areas.

To each his own. Nothing is foolproof, and sometimes I'm a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I tried your suggestion and found it sadly lacking. It took me out of my way (from proven routes) and their POIs (campgrounds and Mex food were missing many and some were true dumps.

Perhaps I am still on the learning curve but 9 years of S&T allows me to plan my 4000 mile summer runs faster and better (more comfortably).

I use GOOGLE EARTH to over view the CG and I use RVPARKREVIEWS to evaluate them.

I still prefer S&T.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote