Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Trip Planning Software

Hello All,
Hope everyone had a great holiday. I was wondering if anyone knows of a software program that would assist with travel planning on the road. I would like to travel from Buffalo New York to Key West in four days. I understand, from my location itís approximately 26 hour trip if you drive straight through. I want to do it in four days enjoying the trip. Is there a software program or web site to map this out, instead of using google maps or mapquest that would include camping locations on the way. I know I could do it the old fashion way, but where's the adventure. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2016 Jayco Precept
cbialeckisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator since 2009 and love it.

2012 RV Roadtrip Navigator - RV Campground Books, DVDs, Maps - Trailer Life Directory

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can download a 60 day trial of Microsoft Streets and Trips. You can add a gps receiver later if this is something you'd like.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #4

I have been using Delorme Street Atlas Plus for probably around 12 + yrs. Updated almost every 2nd yr. They have really good price on combos (software + USB GPS) most of the time.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I use my Garmin mapquest to plan a route and download it to my garmin GPS. I also use AAA AAA - TripTik - Driving Directions, Maps, Travel Planning Tools & More to to do the same route and to check for road construction. I also use Google maps to look at the roads on the planned route, Google Maps. Google maps shows me what the roads actually look like and that comes in handy when we are going somewhere in the motorhome. AAA and Google maps are both free..... AAA will also show campgrounds that will be close to your planned route. You can check on the campgtound stats with this program http://www.rvparkreviews.com/. This program will show most campgrounds and the reviews for them too. If you then go to the campgrounds website it will usually tell you the local attractions.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips for all my trip planning needs. It has fuel stops, stores, campgrounds and many other points for planning. I have found it a tremendous tool for laying out a trip. Like others, I follow up with rvparkrviews.com to see how others rate the rv parks.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck, if you're using a Mac and have a Garmin GPS, you can download Garmin's Roadtrip for free. You can plan your route with all the stops you want into the segments you want to drive at a time and then download them into your GPS all ready to go.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Microsoft Streets and Trips with the GPS setup. Been using it since 2004 and wouldn't leave home without it. Lots of planning tools. Put it on your laptop and use a small inverter plugged into cigarette lighter. Way nicer for your copilot to use than a dedicated auto GPS. Added bonus I like to drive with the vehicle being on the cool side. Of course DW likes it warmer. She can put the laptop on her lap and keep warm.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Google maps lets you do that for free.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Thank you all for responding. I will be sure to check everything out and see what works best for me. Happy safe travelling in 2012. Thanks again

2016 Jayco Precept
cbialeckisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
Google maps lets you do that for free.
Do what?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ya me too ---"DO What?" If your comparing Google maps to Streets and Trips there really isn't any comparison for trip planning between the two.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
The "Do what" is split a trip into multiple segments to change the driving time per day. Think that is what the original poster requested. May be MANY better ways to do the same thing but it is accurate, can be printed out and is free. JMO
Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
The "Do what" is split a trip into multiple segments to change the driving time per day. Think that is what the original poster requested. May be MANY better ways to do the same thing but it is accurate, can be printed out and is free. JMO
I agree w/ Stillwater. S&T provides tons more information and also shows campgrounds near your chosen stopping spots. I have used it for 8, going on 9 years. YMMV

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote