Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trojan T-105 RE vs. Regular T-105

Time for new 6v house batteries. I want to go Trojan. I see that they offer a new version of the T-105 that is specifically designed for renewable energy applications, called the T-105 RE.

Does anyone have any experience with the RE version for motorhome use?

Luke
Currently in Albany, OR
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #2

The typical RV use profile is quite different from that of 'renewable energy' applications.

But the differences between batteries are usually of little significance when compared to what one usually encounters in actual use.

The upshot is to look at the warranty, cost, and specifications and get what best suits your needs. Do purchase from a reputable retailer who stands behind what he sells and who sells a lot to folks like you.

If you can't find a difference in pertinent measures that someone is willing to put their money on, the labels probably have more to do with marketing than they do with anything else. Much of the battery discussions in these forums, especially the heated ones it seems, are about such labels. Ambiguity does that.

The best battery satisfaction in RV's is mostly from proper use and maintenance, not the brand, voltage, or type of battery.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Bryan,

I am looking for someone with specific experience with the T-105 RE batteries. I have been motorhoming 30 years, so I understand your point, but that is not what I am looking for here.

Thanks,
Luke
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Its 7/8" taller, 5 pounds heaver, and has a 5 yr warranty....

Suppose to be a 'tougher, longer lasting' T105. At least in a Solar system...Basically Trojans way of getting past some bad press with regards to using T105's in PV systems...

I suppose I would try try them...

Quote:
Trojan's RE Series is available in 2-volt and 6-volt sizes and offers brand new features and benefits unmatched in the industry:
  • DuraGrid™ technology provides a 10-year design life (8 years for T105-RE) and provides excellent charge efficiency
  • Maxguard® XL Advanced Design Separator is 30% thicker and stronger, resists stratification, extends life and lowers overall maintenance costs
  • Alpha Plus® paste formulation promotes longer life and optimum performance
  • Polyon™container - the ultra-rugged case design stands up to the harshest of environments
  • High capacity 2V battery - the L16RE-2V battery minimizes battery connections and lowers installation cost
  • Lower specific gravity improves charge performance and extends life
  • Best-in-class limited warranty - 7 years for L16RE-2V, - A, and -B; 5 years for T105-RE
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #5

re: "I am looking for someone with specific experience with the T-105 RE batteries."

how do you need it stated so you do not make inappropriate or incorrect assumptions?

There is a reason why I think anecdotal information about batteries is really bad news so I try to avoid such things and stick to things that work much better.

Anecdotal stories are almost as bad a decision strategy as fishing for selected information stated in a narrowly filtered way, IMHO.

take care.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Lukeaa,

I installed 8 T-105 RE's less than a year ago. Before that I had regular 105's, i switched to the RE's because they have a 5 year warranty and are a few pounds heavier than the regulars, more weight in the same package equals more lead. More lead is a good thing in lead/acid batteries.

I am very pleased with them and would do it over again if I had to.

My system is 1KW of solar on the roof and an Outback solar controller, that's as close to a residential off grid system I can get.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I bought four of the T-105RE's this week. I paid $154.95 each. The have a different type of terminal that takes a 3/8" bolt. The cost was about $8 each more than the regular T-105, but the longer warranty is worth that.

Luke
================================================== ====

Santa Fe Springs, CA - 4.23.09 With over 80 years of proven experience, Trojan Battery Company, the world's leading manufacturer of technologically-advanced deep-cycle lead acid batteries, introduced today the T105-RE renewable energy battery—Trojan's newest addition to its RE Series line launched October 2008.
"Trojan's T-105 battery has always delivered reliable performance and long-lasting power in demanding electric vehicle applications. Since extended life is one of the main priorities for our renewable energy customers, it made sense for us to redesign our T-105 to provide even longer life by integrating the unique technologies featured in the RE Series." - Bryan Godber, Vice President of Renewable Energy Business for Trojan Battery

The existing RE Series is built on one of the industry’s top-performing deep cycle batteries to deliver superior life, durability and excellent charge efficiency for renewable energy applications. The new T105-RE battery is built on Trojan’s popular 6-volt deep cycle battery, featuring a compact size, superior performance and best of all, even longer life plus a best-in-class 5-year worldwide warranty. In addition, the T105-RE shares key features and benefits of the RE Series for reliable performance in demanding off-grid and grid-tie backup systems:

DuraGrid™ technology provides an 8-year design life and excellent charge efficiency
Maxguard® XL Advanced Design Separator is 30% thicker and stronger, resists stratification, extends life and lowers overall maintenance costs
· Alpha Plus® paste formulation promotes longer life and optimum performance
· Lower specific gravity improves charge performance and extends life
· 5-year worldwide limited warranty:Best-in-class for batteries this size

“With the new T105-RE, we took Trojan’s best-selling deep cycle battery and simply made it better,” said Bryan Godber, Vice President of Renewable Energy Business for Trojan Battery. “Trojan’s T-105 battery has always delivered reliable performance and long-lasting power in demanding electric vehicle applications. Since extended life is one of the main priorities for our renewable energy customers, it made sense for us to redesign our T-105 to provide even longer life by integrating the unique technologies featured in the RE Series. In addition, we are excited to offer a 5-year limited warranty valid anywhere in the world, which is currently the best warranty available for batteries in the T105 class.”
Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #8

SO how are they now. We r lokking to replace our 8 batteries.
Helen in Ontario Canada.
DOes anyone know of a good place to buy Trojan in Toronto.
msbrown79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
They are working like Trojans.

A lot of Trojans go into golf carts. Check the prices at golf cart dealers.

Here is a large distributor in Canada Deep Cycle
Old 10-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #10

We have AGM now and we have been told because of fumes and etc we have to stay with that style. Any comments...2008 eagle
msbrown79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That depends on where your batteries are located. I have a 2007 Diplomat and the batteries are located in a ventilated compartment on the right rear of the coach. Thus, fumes are not an issue. I am not familiar with Fleetwood Eagles, but I am surprised that AGM batteries would die in just three years. They should be good for 5-7 years. That is what I get from my Trojans.