Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trojans or Interstates??

Looks like I have to replace my T-105's. Would have prefer to get another group of T-105's but all the RV service centers, even Les Schwab, are carrying Interstates. And if I do insist on getting the Trojans, I'd have to drive 100 miles one way to get them, (dealers won't ship), bring the old ones for exchange or pay $30 extra for each (4 ea) if I don't. So, I don't think I have that much leeway on what I could get.

So, my question for those of you that have Interstates - is this comparable or better than the Trojans? We don't do much boondocking so there's no requirement for much power anyway. I only ordered 4 batteries when we bought the MH since the DW like the availability of the extra power if and when we need it. Appreciate your feedback!
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had Trojans, always Interstate U-2200's. Last set lasted just a few months under 10 years and even then I only changed them because we were taking a 2 week trip and I didn't want trouble on the trip.
If you have a Costco somewhere close they have 6V deep cycle batteries for about $80, they would be a good bet although I don't think they will last as long but they haven't been out long enough to know.
I did add 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell too which cut way down on the water usage and corrosion in the battery bay.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Trojan.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am a die hard Trojan T-105 fan. However, I would not be uncomfortable if had to go with U 2200s. They are good and many use them. Actually if the next time ever comes, I just might try the Costco or Sams Club GC batteries. The way I take of batteries, I could probably get 7 years out of junkers
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take your pick and have them installed and take care of them. If you get one or the other on sale then all the better. Both are excellent batteries.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My motorhome came with two U-2200 Interstate batteries, they lasted seven years before one of them went bad. I replaced them two years ago with the golf cart batteries sold at Costco. I have had no problems with the Costco batteries, but really not had them long enough to rate them. They were just under $80 each when I purchased them. Other than lighting, water pump and other 12V requirements for the motorhome, I use a 400 watt Xantrex inverter with the batteries for powering the TV, Directv box, and DVD player when boondocking. I would not be opposed to buying the U-2200 batteries for my useage however. The Trojan T-105's are really good, but are a bit pricey for me.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Costco

Another vote for Costco (i.e. Johnson Controls) batteries. I've had mine for over a year and have never had a problem. I've been using Costco batteries for many years and have never had one die of anything other than old age. I've had a pair in my F250 diesel for 6 years, still cranks strong in spite of being driven less than once a week.

There is a small gotcha though. The terminals of the Costco batteries are shorter than the T-105's. So if you have cables or connectors that cross over the batteries they may interfere with adding water.

I found terminal extenders on eBay for about $4 each.

Draw a diagram of how the batteries are wired, lable every connection (I used a sharpie and blue painters tape). Then take a bunch of pictures from as many angles as you can get. But with two batteries it should be fairly simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575smaller.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	25843  
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #8

My last set was Interstate's and with good maintenance they lasted 9 years and still werent dead when I bought new.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just replaced mine with the Costco 6v batteries. They are white with a green top, not sure who makes them, but at $80 a battery they are cheaper than Interstates which I was quoted $122 a piece.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #10

Have a look at Lifeline batteries. AGM battery that never needs water and never dumps acid into your battery compartment. twice the price but 3 times the battery
rlrsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a peoblem with Interstate Batteries . I called Interstate and they chose to not stand behind their batteries.
That capped it. No more Interstate Batteries for me.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I've had both...go with the ones with the best deal.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I had a peoblem with Interstate Batteries . I called Interstate and they chose to not stand behind their batteries.
That capped it. No more Interstate Batteries for me.
Not enough info to help at all.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrsar View Post
Have a look at Lifeline batteries. AGM battery that never needs water and never dumps acid into your battery compartment. twice the price but 3 times the battery
Usually they're not worth the price unless you need to mount them inside (no venting), on their sides, upside down or you can't service them (add distilled water). Otherwise normal lead acid are a better buy.