Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trouble emptying freshwater tank '06 Damon Daybreak

Today i have decided to winterize as we will be home till at least the new year arrives and we are about to get some cold weather here in the sierra foothills. I dumped the black and grey tanks after our recent trip and today attempted to dump the freshwater tank. I bypassed the water heater and then opened the lowpoint drain and got about 5 seconds of flow then it stopped. There are two, a hot and a cold but they both did exactly the same thing. I can see that the tank is at least 2/3 full because it is clear. There is a line near the tank coming off near the bottom that loops up above the tank and then back down to a drain, I opened it and it's flowing but very slowly. I have opened the fill cap and turned on a couple of high faucets to vent any vacuum but nothing seems to help. It is entirely possible that I am doing something wrong but I sure don't know what it is. The motorhome in question is a 2006 Damon Daybreak, the tank is in a compartment on the passenger side while the lowpoint drain is in the drain compartment on the drivers side. The drain lines are small 1/2" lines with 1/4 turn valves. I would expect it to take a while with these small sizes but the low point drains are not working at all, unless I misunderstand their use.
Help please!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

When you drained the hot water tank the vacuum should have drained the front lines. That is why you got the small amount from the low point drains. You should have left the bypass open while draining the fresh water tank and the water heater. You did everything else correct. Do not forget to return the bypass for the water heater when you start up

Old 11-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The pipes drained nicely, what took forever was draining freshwater tank. I was able to winterize though after I finally got the tank drained. I bypassed the water heater and it is simple to divert the water feed from the tank to the bottle of pink stuff and suck it up into the plumbing. I got pink thru all faucets, shower and toilet as well as some down each drain. Now I'll make myself a note to put on the steering wheel reminding me that the MH is winterized and what I need to do before use.
I would still like to figure out how to drain the freshwater tank faster.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
How about disconnecting hose from water tank to the pump? Usually that's a gravity feed and disconnecting or putting a valve in there should drain tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #5

Surely there must be a drain valve right at the fresh water tank. All my past motorhomes were so equipped.My present one is hidden from view and can only be felt. The low point drain will not drain the tank,in my case.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
Surely there must be a drain valve right at the fresh water tank. All my past motorhomes were so equipped.My present one is hidden from view and can only be felt. The low point drain will not drain the tank,in my case.
Yrs there is, but it is 1/2" in diameter and took
over an hour to drain the 80 gallon tank that was only 2/3 full. I will look into making it larger.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Yrs there is, but it is 1/2" in diameter and took
over an hour to drain the 80 gallon tank that was only 2/3 full. I will look into making it larger.
I open the valve then find other things to do while it's draining. I don't see the need to drain quickly, it works at it's own speed, sort of like me.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #8

I own a '96 Damon Daybreak. I have to open the 2 valves that are in the rear of the coach in the outside luggage compartment, then I turn on the water pump and the water pours out with no problem. If I don't turn on the water pump it just trickles. I also have a valve at the bottom of the holding tank, near the outlet hose, that leads down through the floor and comes out near my generator to the outside world. My valve handle just spins in place so I can't use it but you might check there.

Tags
tank, damon