Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Cummins found a short in the genset. Rig is back home. Guess what? Now the genset isn't charging the coach batteries. Any ideas why it won't charge the coach batteries? Before it went to the dealer, it charged them. I really don't want to go all the way back to the dealer. Can it be something simple?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
KIX

Is the circuit breaker for the battery charger turned on? Is there power from the gen to the main panel? is there any power at the battery charger?

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Is the breaker on the genset closed? Is the power plug plugged into the receptacle to power the coach?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
There is power to the AC circuit breakers. 120 volt ac works, was running the air conditioner and other 120 volt systems today. But, the coach batteries were not getting a charge. Is it possible they unhooked the converter or something?

To top it off, I couldn't plug it in to see if the batteries would charge on shore power because they took out my box that has my 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and forgot to put it back in the cargo bay. I will get my adapter tomorrow and see if it charges on shore power.

Two things:

1) If it does not charge on shore power either, does this mean the converter is now bad or just not hooked up?

2) If it does charge on shore power, then why doesn't the genset charge the batteries?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure your converter is plugged in. Check the fusing on the converter. If you have a voltmeter be sure 120 volts is available to the converter and then test to be sure there is 13.4 to 13.8 volts DC output. Then test the voltage at your batteries, it should read slightly lower than at the converter. Check all battery connections. Let us know what you find, good Luck.

On Edit: Don't forget to check the breaker that feeds the converter.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
There is power to the AC circuit breakers. 120 volt ac works, was running the air conditioner and other 120 volt systems today. But, the coach batteries were not getting a charge. Is it possible they unhooked the converter or something? Yes, that's possible. Did you specifically check to make sure the breaker that controls power tothe battery charger is turned on?

1) If it does not charge on shore power either, does this mean the converter is now bad or just not hooked up? Could be either.

2) If it does charge on shore power, then why doesn't the genset charge the batteries? See above.

Do you have and know how to use a VOM (Volt/Ohm Meter)? If not, you would be well served to get one and learn how to use it for electrical repairs. All I (and others) am doing is guessing what your problem may be. There are "checks" you could do with a VOM to isolate your problem.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #21

Which Cummins place did you go to? Let everyone know where the shoddy workmanship took place, then write them, let them know what happened and tell them you posted your story on the net. We need to make noise and not accept shoddy workmanship, there is no excuse for the Hack work done by Cummins....G
Old 05-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Make sure your converter is plugged in. Check the fusing on the converter. If you have a voltmeter be sure 120 volts is available to the converter and then test to be sure there is 13.4 to 13.8 volts DC output. Then test the voltage at your batteries, it should read slightly lower than at the converter. Check all battery connections. Let us know what you find, good Luck.

On Edit: Don't forget to check the breaker that feeds the converter.
I will attempt to locate the converter tomorrow. Is it usually located in an area easy to get to? When you say make sure it is plugged in, does it plug into an ac outlet?

I can tell you right now, there is no voltage going to the batteries. But I will measure tomorrow with by multimeter.

Is the breaker that feeds the converter located with the other ac breakers? I checked all breakers in the breaker box and all of them are on. If not, where is it located?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Do you have and know how to use a VOM (Volt/Ohm Meter)? If not, you would be well served to get one and learn how to use it for electrical repairs. All I (and others) am doing is guessing what your problem may be. There are "checks" you could do with a VOM to isolate your problem.[/COLOR]
I have a multimeter and know how to use it. I am tempted to go outside right now and find the converter.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
My temptation got the best of me. I found the problem. The ground wire was not connected to the DC "output" side of the converter. I can't verify yet as the batteries won't start the genset and I need to get my 30 amp to 15 amp adapter so I can plug into a garage outlet.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope that works out well for you, somehow it kind of diminishes your faith in the professionals
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
My temptation got the best of me. I found the problem. The ground wire was not connected to the DC "output" side of the converter. I can't verify yet as the batteries won't start the genset and I need to get my 30 amp to 15 amp adapter so I can plug into a garage outlet.
You might try starting the engine and then pushing the AUX switch to connect the engine battery to the house batteries and start the genny that way.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
You might try starting the engine and then pushing the AUX switch to connect the engine battery to the house batteries and start the genny that way.
I jumped the batteries this morning with my car. The genset fired up and was charging the batteries. Problem fixed.

I didn't know that about the aux switch. Good to know in the future. I will try that later as the batteries are still low and won't start the genset.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
O
I jumped the batteries this morning with my car. The genset fired up and was charging the batteries. Problem fixed.

I didn't know that about the aux switch. Good to know in the future. I will try that later as the batteries are still low and won't start the genset.
Actually rethinking my statement, you wouldn't have press the AUX switch, the alternator should charge the house batteries anyway.