Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Truck Diesel Pumps--How?

I only have one fill for my tank, on the right side. Most truck stops have primary pumps, with payment pad on the left and a blank secondary pump on the right. I've swiped my CC on the left pump and tried to use the pump on the right, but it wouldn't work. What's the trick?

BTW, the pump gives me option to pump DEF, tractor fuel or refer fuel. I chose tractor fuel.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I only have one fill for my tank, on the right side. Most truck stops have primary pumps, with payment pad on the left and a blank secondary pump on the right. I've swiped my CC on the left pump and tried to use the pump on the right, but it wouldn't work. What's the trick?

BTW, the pump gives me option to pump DEF, tractor fuel or refer fuel. I chose tractor fuel.
although we have a gasser I am curious about this as well.

I can tell you that when we encounter the same setup in the RV gas lanes at Flying J in I have to swipe my card, remove the nozzle at that pump and
lie it on the ground. I can then use the other pump nozzle to fill the tank. it might be the same at the diesel pumps.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Right side pump is a slave (satellite) to the left side. You have to take the left one off hook to activate the right. Most rigs that use truck lanes have fills on both sides.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
FlyingDiver is spot on, but I've encountered truck pumps that require ICC number or some such that makes it impossible to pay at the pump. Also, be careful about using tractor diesel. Yes, it's cheaper, but that's because a tractor doesn't pay road tax. The fuel has a red dye added. If you get caught with red dyed fuel on the road, you'll pay a hefty fine!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
FlyingDiver is spot on, but I've encountered truck pumps that require ICC number or some such that makes it impossible to pay at the pump.
I've only ever seen that in a couple states, Indiana being the most notable.

Quote:
Also, be careful about using tractor diesel. Yes, it's cheaper, but that's because a tractor doesn't pay road tax. The fuel has a red dye added. If you get caught with red dyed fuel on the road, you'll pay a hefty fine!
You've got that backwards. Tractor fuel is not Off-road fuel. It's for the "Tractor" portion of the Tractor-Trailers that mostly use truck stops. "Refer" fuel is for the refrigerated trailers, and does not include road tax. That's the one you don't want to get caught using.

joe
Old 03-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
You're absolutely correct Joe, I've seen 'tractor' fuel at farm filling stations, but at a truck stop you nailed it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

Previous posters hit it right when they said take the primary pump nozzle off, hit the lever, and lay on the ground, then use the other pump nozzle.

*Note, when doing the above, or when fueling ONLY from the PRIMARY nozzle, keep an eye on the "unused" nozzle to ensure that somebody doesn't pull into the adjacent lane and start pumping fuel off of your dime. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I saw it happen, told the owner of the RV who confronted the driver, who then tried to drive off after pumping 70+ gallons. Didn't work, especially when the Coach driver pulled his coach in front of the truck, and called 911 to report a theft! Manager of the station got involved, threatened to call police as well, truck driver ended up paying for the fuel he stole!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
FlyingDiver is spot on, but I've encountered truck pumps that require ICC number or some such that makes it impossible to pay at the pump. Also, be careful about using tractor diesel. Yes, it's cheaper, but that's because a tractor doesn't pay road tax. The fuel has a red dye added. If you get caught with red dyed fuel on the road, you'll pay a hefty fine!
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that the tractor fuel is used by the truck part of the tractor trailer and the reefer is used to power the refrigerated trailer. People use the reefer (dyed fuel) for off road uses (farm equipment, etc.)
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the pumping instructions. I've been pulling close to the right pump and using the left pump from the next lane over. It'll be nice to use the right pump.

We call red diesel "agricultural" diesel in Texas.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #10

My rig can take fuel on either side, but posters that said to lay the "primary" on the ground, and pump from the "slave" are spot on.

I just drove from New Mexico to CA, and I had to take fuel in AZ. There were two prices for diesel, ....."auto diesel", and "truck diesel"......"auto" was cheaper, and that's where I pumped.

I have NO CLUE whether my "bus" is "auto, or "truck" (since it's not commercial, I go for cheaper!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

Wallacerm is correct. I use dye-colored fuel for farm equipment, house and such. I use non-colored fuel (EPA language) for my motor home and commercial vehicles.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
My rig can take fuel on either side, but posters that said to lay the "primary" on the ground, and pump from the "slave" are spot on.

I just drove from New Mexico to CA, and I had to take fuel in AZ. There were two prices for diesel, ....."auto diesel", and "truck diesel"......"auto" was cheaper, and that's where I pumped.

I have NO CLUE whether my "bus" is "auto, or "truck" (since it's not commercial, I go for cheaper!
Question: Bout 8 yrs ago when in AZ in RV was told to go inside the gas station office and ask for Tax refund as AZ was charging all diesel customers a commercial truck road tax. I remember getting refunds of $20 plus bucks at every fill up. Had to sign a receipt book as well. Is that still the case in AZ ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post

Arizona ( among others I am sure ) has some confusing rules on diesel pricing. As I understand it, if your rig exceeds a certain GVW you must fuel at the truck side or face fines ? While fueling at the Truck pumps at Loves, I had a Loves Tanker driver come by and tell me I should have used the RV Pumps as they were cheaper. Turns out he was wrong.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

By the way,

The fuel coming out of that pump is all the same color from the same tank.

It's just the fuel pump is on a non-tax setting when you chose refer fuel.

Thank you all for not saying (SEMI TRUCK). There is no such thing but thats for another thread.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel