Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #1

I need to replace the deep cycle battery. Soo, it turns out that the ones at Wu-Mart are not likely to be true deep cycle batteries. Ok, so who sells genuine deep cycle batteries? Any name brands? I don't even believe that marine battery that I got at West Marine is a true deep cycle...
FullAstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #2

I need to replace the deep cycle battery. Soo, it turns out that the ones at Wu-Mart are not likely to be true deep cycle batteries. Ok, so who sells genuine deep cycle batteries? Any name brands? I don't even believe that marine battery that I got at West Marine is a true deep cycle...
FullAstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Every Walmart sells deep cycle rv/marine batteries. $50-$60 each.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use several sets of series connected golf cart batteries.
Coach came with this type, Trojans T105 brand. I think that they are the most cost effective way to go with deep cycle flooded cell batteries. They have usually lasted me 5-7 years with regular maintenance. I have also gotten good service from other brand golf cart 105 size. There are 12 volt deep cycles out there tool but I don't have any experiences to share.

Marty
Old 05-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trojan T-105's are a great 6 volt deep cycle battery, alot better than any dual use battery of any type. They will last longer in an RV for house batteries.
Marty
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who sells true Deep Cycle batteries. Depends on just what you are looking for but

Both Costco and Sams sell Golf Cart batteries, These are six volt, usually 220 AH, two of them make one 12 volt 220 AH battery This is the "Standard" in many motor homes.

Most every RV dealer from here to there and back again can also get them. Also if you have an adjustable charger (The Charge Wizard on PD chargers is NOT adjustable) most RV stores will carry either LIFELINE, DEKA or MK (the last two are the same) AGM batteries.

OPTIMA batteries are also AGM and come in 3 colors, Starting, Marine and Deep cycle however due to the OPTIMA spiral design I really do not suggest using them for RV, IF you look at the battery you will see that you do not get as much battery for your space usage or dollar. That is why, better off with one of the AGM's listed above.

There will likely be an INTERSTATE dealer near you, he can order whatever you want from INTERESTATE

Need more?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you have any Golf Courses close by you might want to check with them. Some Golf shops will sell you batteries at a reasonable cost. They usually have the Trojan T105's or the T125's
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FullAstern:
I need to replace the deep cycle battery. Soo, it turns out that the ones at Wu-Mart are not likely to be true deep cycle batteries. Ok, so who sells genuine deep cycle batteries? Any name brands? I don't even believe that marine battery that I got at West Marine is a true deep cycle... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think "Batteries R Us" is a national franchise. It there is one near you, they usually have Trojans.

Bob..wa7hra
Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
At one time Batteries Plus sold Trojan batteries. about 7 years ago I paid $60 each for T105's in Sarasota.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:36 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can get the Trojans for $60, I would definitely go that route. I could not find a deal on Trojans so I bought the Interstate GC batteries. I replaced 2 12V Marine/RV batteries with 2 6V GC batteries and have found them to hold the charge longer. We spent this past weekend boondocking and never started the generator. Did not restrict battery useage (lights) and did not use the TV (no reception anyway). I ran my CPAP all night. Got up in the morning and looked at the battery level indicator which showed no drain. Later I measured (volt meter) the voltage and it read 12.2V. The coach does have a low wattage solar panel but I think the batteries are an exceptional replacement for the batteries that came with the coach. I did speak with a battery "expert" from Interstate and said do not use the marine/RV battery for the coach as these just do not deep cycle well and have a much shorter life expectancy. Some say you could get close to 10 years out of these 6V batteries if maintained properly.
JMHO -- Frank O.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Every Walmart sells deep cycle rv/marine batteries. $50-$60 each. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I doubt that Wal-Mart calls their batteries RV/Marine because the amp-hours of the batteries and way lower than deep cycle golf cart batteries. The marine batteries are for cranking and with a capability to be discharged a number of times. As one poster stated, if the battery quotes Cold Cranking Amps it isn't a true deep cycle battery.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wally world does sale a rv battery in a 29 series and My box is set up to hold the engine battery and 1 deep cycle battery. When I got it the coach was a 27 series. That went twice and I went to 1-29 series and it lasted 6 years and in 2002 we boon docked in the White Mountains and it had to be charged every couple of days as the computer and radio and lights and fan sometimes would drain it down about every couple of days. Was rated as a 205 amp/hrs and I just replaced the battery with a new one last month! I don't recommend doing that with one battery as ya drain it down over 3/4%. I killed the battery several times but, it always came back to life.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Either Trojan T105's or Interstate U2200's are by far the best bets.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #14

I've been using T105's for both of my rigs. I recently needed to replace them and checked with the local dealer and didn't like the warranty/price. I checked Consumer reports and purchsed the deep cycle they recomended. Think it was Kragens, better warranty and better price than the t105's. Any way check consumer reports. I don't do much dry camping so i'm not worried about the long use of the batteries.
Yo, CA is offline   Reply With Quote