Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

Have posted this on other forums...but may as well try here too.
The problem in a Nutshell: I cannot shut down the motorhome engine while the generator is running. A backfeed? is supplying power to the shutdown solenoid..I think. CAT 3176B engine..Power Tech 10KW gen. Additional problems that started at the same time as this are retractable step gets backfed also and cannot shut down Webasto heater fans. Comments/Help? Suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #2

Have posted this on other forums...but may as well try here too.
The problem in a Nutshell: I cannot shut down the motorhome engine while the generator is running. A backfeed? is supplying power to the shutdown solenoid..I think. CAT 3176B engine..Power Tech 10KW gen. Additional problems that started at the same time as this are retractable step gets backfed also and cannot shut down Webasto heater fans. Comments/Help? Suggestions?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
acampingwewillgo, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join u shere and look forward to reading o your adventures and experieinces. What chassis and coach manufacturer is your coach? Also what year? Have you called them? For the heck of it can you unplug the generator's remote start switch control cable and retry senerio? Let us know.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On two separate occasions I traced cross feed issues to shorts and or grounding problems from fooling around with my toad to MH harness. First time mirror heaters and jack alarms coming on at hook up, 2nd time backup lights, and rear view monitor flashing on and off when left turn signal used. Both times only happened when harness plugged in. Rewiring harness plug fixed it both times.
BTW, the harness had worked fine for 3 years and was wired the same everytime so it is still an unknown gremlin that caused the problem. Just wanted to suggest that you look beyond the generator/engine for possible causes. Good luck.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #5

First off, Thank you for the Welcome Mat....I absolutely Love these forum's, what a wealth of info! As to my specifics....its a Vogue motorhome, so contacting the manufacturer is not an option. I wish I could trace this back to a specific incidence cause it has NOT always been a problem. My best guess is to say my problems began around the same time as an Ill faithed Jump Start. Ive done some checking of Grounds...But there are so many ground contections on this coach. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #6

Oh ....its a 1996 Vogue Prima-Vista built by Mitchell Manufacturing. This is one of those type of issues that Ive been able to live with...But it sure is irritating and finding the, (probably) small cause has my brain thinking in many directions.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would start by adding a good ground wire from the battery banks to chassis frame.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">..... My best guess is to say my problems began around the same time as an Ill faithed Jump Start...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since it happend around the time of a jump start I would be looking for diodes that were burned out by inadvertantly connecting the jumper cables with reverse polarity. There is most likely an isolator between the chassis batteries and the house batteries. These are usually nothing more than large diodes that allow current to flow from the alternator on the engine to charge the house batteries while the engine is running but will not allow current to flow from the chassis battery to the house battery when the engine is turned off. This is to keep you from discharging your chassis battery while parked and thus preventing the engine from starting.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
With such a wide range of problems as you listed, I would check as previously stated to check Grounding. I suggest looking for a engine to frame ground may be broken/missing. Easy check is to use a jumper cable from the engine to the frame when the problem is happening to see if problem is solved.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #10

Thank you for those suggestions. In regards to the "Isolator" this is precisely where I have been concentrating my efforts this past week. Ive contacted Sure Power, (Isolator manufacturer) and have been running through some test procedures. I started thinking the isolator maybe at fault after having my 12 year old alternator rebuilt. The diodes in the alternator were all replaced as I thought maybe the back feed was occurring their. This is when I turmed my attention to my Isolator and its diodes. Thanks again....Ill keep all updated on any progress.