RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

Trying to cut costs

Trying to cut cost on black tank chemicals store bought seems to be expensive I've seen lots of people talk about homemade solutions. I was also wondering if anybody has tried the home remedies for their septic tanks like Septonic or that CLR stuff for septic tanks. Trying to find cheap easy way of handling the black water tank. Thanx Rat Fink.

Rat Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure the Geo method is any cheaper than just the commercial method. Calgon isn't always easy to find either.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #3

Short term or on trips we never use chemicals. Long term storage we just dump, do a good flush, and put 5 gallons of clean water in the tank to eliminate odors. A good flush really helps.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using Happy Camper in my black tank for years and I'm very happy with it. You can find it in different sizes and it cast about 68 cents to treat a tank.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Cheap easy readily available -------dihydrogen monoxide

Only chemical additive I use in my black & grey tanks.
Universal solvent and harmless
Been using it exclusively for 40+ years w/o ANY waste tank issues

GREAT stuff!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Trying to cut cost on black tank chemicals store bought seems to be expensive I've seen lots of people talk about homemade solutions. I was also wondering if anybody has tried the home remedies for their septic tanks like Septonic or that CLR stuff for septic tanks. Trying to find cheap easy way of handling the black water tank. Thanx Rat Fink.
Rat Fink, ( I used to draw them decades and decades ago)
At the risk of sounding maybe condescending here, toilet chemical is just not all that expensive. We get ours, Thetford, at Walmart. On the shelfs where all the RV stuff is in the Auto department, you'll find both the original Thetford stuff and, the Walmart's version of it. The Walmart version is of course, a bit cheaper and, is almost the same exact stuff.

And, as for the use of it, well, we don't do it like many RVers and haven't for years and years. What we do is this. We keep a semi-small, spray bottle next to the back side of the toilet, on the floor. It's about 8"-10" high. Now, I fill it about 1/2-3/4 way with the chemical. Then I top it off with water.

Now, when you get ready to do your business, you grab that bottle, spray about 1/ 2 dozen spray spits (not fine spray and not straight shot, in the middle) all around the bowl. That takes all of about 3-4 seconds. When that's done that way, you'll have a built in deodorizer as you're in there doing the ugly.

When done, you flush and, all goes away. But, I usually give the toilet a few spritz's again, along with a bout a quart of water from the regular flush valve but, I don't flush it. That mixture stays in there with the bubbles popping and creating a nice (well, nicer than what was done anyway) smell, for the next person.

It's not a hard thing to get into practice on. As stated, we've done it this way for eons of time. One of those quarts of Walmart/Thetford chemical will last us oh, maybe around a few trips by doing it this way, depending on how long each trip was and all that.

And besides, as we travel, about 98% of the time, we're hooked up to full hookups so, we dump at regular intervals so, to WASTE a whole quart of chemical when we don't even come close to a full black tank and then dump, yeah, then I'd agree, that would get just a tad bit costly. But, we spend what, maybe $4.00 or so at Walmart for that chemical and it lasts us for a long, long time by doing things the way we do.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

With our last motorhome that had a standard ball type toilet. On days I would be driving I would dump, flush until no tp came out and the water was fairly clear. I would put a 1/4 tank or less of fresh water in it. While it was filling I would put a scoop of Gain powdered laundry detergent in it. Every now and again I put a squirt or Dawn in it also

While driving it sloshes around and gives it a good clean.

I now have dual macerator toilets now. So I drain and put a minute of water in it. That water commonly comes out clean. I do put the occasional cup of Gain in it but nothing drastic.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Short term or on trips we never use chemicals. Long term storage we just dump, do a good flush, and put 5 gallons of clean water in the tank to eliminate odors. A good flush really helps.
+1
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stay in a rest area or Wal*Mart pne night and you've saved enough for a years worth of chemicals. Plus if at a Wal*Mart you can walk in and buy it before you leave.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We have been RVing for 5 months a year for about 17 years and 180,000 miles or so. We use nothing but water, lots of water. We have not had a problem, once we learned to use plenty of water.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on water only.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
In addition to only water, DW dumps the dirty dishwater into the toilet. Additional water and soap to slosh around and clean things up. No odor problems.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also just use lots of water. I add a full 25% of the tank volume as soon as I am done flushing the tank. I would rather dump more often than have "issues".

The only time I add chemicals is if it may be 2 weeks or more before I will be able to rinse/dump and the water in the tanks was from a well rather than a municipal supply. The lack of chlorine seems to accelerate the amount of smell in the tank. I use Happy Camper in both black and gray tanks then.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #14

I put in the cheap blue powdery stuff when we're out for more than long weekend. Just water on our shorter trips. The only reason I use it on longer stays is that it does help to cut down on the smell while dumping.

Your really shouldn't need chemicals if your plumbing system is in good shape. If you're getting smells inside the coach between dumps, then you have a leak (toilet seal, vent pipe) that needs to be repaired. Some say that the chemicals help to break down the waste but I'm not sure they help very much with that.