Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

TST 510RV issues

I just acquired a 10 sensor TST 510 system that is 2 yrs old from a fellow RVer. After installing all sensors, i found 2 of the sensors (installed in the rear toad tires) not responsive. The monitor would come to that position and immediately skip to the next sensor.

All sensors were bought at the same time.
The rest of the 8 sensors work just fine.

I have reprogrammed the sensor codes of those two, just to make sure.
But i still can't get any reading. I have changed to a different tire and same problem.

What could be wrong? Am i missing something or is it as obvious as batteries are dead after 2 yrs.

PS> It was a pain to install the sensor on the dually tires in the drive axle as the valve stem of one tire points inside and the other points outside. How does one install the sensor on the valve pointing inside, with the supplied wrench for 510 ?

thanks
jim
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

U extensions.

Bad batteries. Call TST they will work with you.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexabbot View Post
U extensions.

Bad batteries. Call TST they will work with you.
Easy solution here. Maybe that was the reason the fellow rv'er sold the unit.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First guess, I agree, dead battery.

Second possibility....

Do the 2 "dead" ones indicate any signal at all? I found that if I programmed my sensors close to each other that the receiver might pick up the stronger one. I have learned to be several feet between any other sensor when programing one. In other words, don't dump them all on the table together when programming. Go figure.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymann View Post
I just acquired a 10 sensor TST 510 system that is 2 yrs old from a fellow RVer. After installing all sensors, i found 2 of the sensors (installed in the rear toad tires) not responsive. The monitor would come to that position and immediately skip to the next sensor.

All sensors were bought at the same time.
The rest of the 8 sensors work just fine.

I have reprogrammed the sensor codes of those two, just to make sure.
But i still can't get any reading. I have changed to a different tire and same problem.

What could be wrong? Am i missing something or is it as obvious as batteries are dead after 2 yrs.

PS> It was a pain to install the sensor on the dually tires in the drive axle as the valve stem of one tire points inside and the other points outside. How does one install the sensor on the valve pointing inside, with the supplied wrench for 510 ?

thanks
jim
your toad tires are likely too far from your moho panel.
you probably need a repeater antenna.
i used (4) haltec HE 200 90 degree extensions on my front wheels and outboard rear wheels.
when i replace my tires, i will use 135 degree valve stems, no extensions.
there are pictures of my installation in the archives of this forum.
i installed my system in nov, 2008.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HALTEC-H...-/130778771282

RV Tire Systems - Truck System Technologies, Inc
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
your toad tires are likely too far from your moho panel.
you probably need a repeater antenna. ...
DOOH!

I missed that they were on the toad. Yes...consider the repeater even if the batteries are dead...I just installed mine yesterday.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #7

Forgot to mention that i was doing a test install.
So my toad was in front of the MH ie the drive/tag axle for MH was further away than the toad, which was by the steer axle of MH. So repeater is not likely a factor.
jim
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
First guess, I agree, dead battery.

Second possibility....

Do the 2 "dead" ones indicate any signal at all? I found that if I programmed my sensors close to each other that the receiver might pick up the stronger one. I have learned to be several feet between any other sensor when programing one. In other words, don't dump them all on the table together when programming. Go figure.
Not sure....my sensors came to me already programmed from the previous seller. I just installed them on the tires. 8 worked and 2 didn't.

There was no signal from the two.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Batteries can go prematurely. TST will exchange the sensors for $ 20-25.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #10

There's always the possibility that the valve core is so deep in the stem that the sensor can't contact it. We had a similar problem with 2 sensors on our 507 system.

Try putting the inoperative sensors on 2 valve stems that have working sensors. If they work there you know it's the valve core not the sensor. If they don't work where others have it's most likely a sensor problem.

The batteries last don't always last 5 years, they last "up to 5 years". If they have been left on the valve stems since the original owner installed them they could be dead. They power up the sensor and transmit a signal any time there's air pressure on the sensor tip. Even though though the monitor may have been turned off the sensors would still be activated.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Try putting the inoperative sensors on 2 valve stems that have working sensors. If they work there you know it's the valve core not the sensor. If they don't work where others have it's most likely a sensor problem.

The batteries last don't always last 5 years, they last "up to 5 years". If they have been left on the valve stems since the original owner installed them they could be dead. They power up the sensor and transmit a signal any time there's air pressure on the sensor tip. Even though though the monitor may have been turned off the sensors would still be activated.
Hikerdogs,

You must have missed the OP's statement that he switched locations and the problem followed.

I would change batteries FIRST and try again. If there is still no signal, then two replacements are in order.

I believe they have a 2 year warranty. I know mine do but I don't have TST System.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sounds like dead batteries to me, but the 510 are not user replaceable. The sensors need to be returned to TST, and I believe a previous poster is correct in that the replacements cost $20-25 each.

How old is this system? If the PO had not replaced any of the sensors you could be looking at a continuing problem with the other sensors failing one by one.

I realize you're not going to want to hear this, but if you can't find out from the PO which, if any, sensors had ever been replaced, I would seriously consider replacing them all. If nothing else I would contact TST and see if they have a way of testing them if you did return all of them.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Hikerdogs,

You must have missed the OP's statement that he switched locations and the problem followed.

I would change batteries FIRST and try again. If there is still no signal, then two replacements are in order.

I believe they have a 2 year warranty. I know mine do but I don't have TST System.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

You're right I totally missed the part about trying them on different tires. Sorry about that.