Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question TST High Temp Problem

Arrived for overnight stay at CG after 1/2 day of driving and noticed temp for roadside rear inner was about 30* higher than the outer, the two curbsides and the two fronts. PSI's were ok. Each RR was 100, each CR was 101 and fronts were 109 & 107. Temp was 123* vs approx 93* for others. Does this sound like a sensor problem or tire problem?

I have air brakes on a roadmaster chassis. Run 100 front and 95 rear cold.

Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
TST High Temp

Ok well a couple of things possible.....1st what tire size....especially since your problem could be that your coach is carrying more weight on that side in the rear where the tire is hot....which could indicate low tire pressure on your rears all together....tires will heat up more than normal if the tire air pressure is low.....
2nd....did you hit the scales to insure you aren't maxed out on that axle! ... Also if that rear tire is cupping it will get hot....is your fuel mileage a bit lower than normal.... check all your tires again when cold...you may just be under-inflated for your load...
finally, what is your tire DOT date...are the tires over 5 or 6 years old! check for side wall cracking... DocUSAF

DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like the same problem my Buddie had with one of his tires on his MH all the others were about the same temp. 1 ran hot what we found , the tire tread was not put on the casting right.

The way we found this out was . I followed him down the road in my car and I could see the tire casting was running true and the tire tread had a wiggle in it .

You can try switching sensor with other wheel. to see if you get the same readings on the way home.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #4

This is where an infrared temp gauge is handy. Check the offending tire at the sidewall/tread interface, still on the sidewall but just below tread. That's the point of max deflection for most tire situations & where it should be hottest. Then check other tires for comparison. If it is hot there, then it is hot. If it is not, then you have a little brake drag or a sensor issue. You can check brake drag by checking the brake thru the wheel holes (maybe) w/the gauge on both rears.
I'm assuming when you say "sensor problem" you have SmartTire or something like it with internal sensors for temp & psi (you didn't mention where the readings came from).
Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Think I will swap with another sensor in AM.

Tire is G670 255/70R 22.5

100 front and 95 rear is based upon weight taken when I was fully loaded. Currently not fully loaded as I emptied much of it prior to service work completed today. Long story short, work was done today in PA and I'm heading home to NH.

Don't believe it's cupping but will check in morning. Tires are 3yrs old with 8200 miles.

As expected, after sitting for 5 hrs, TST temp of all tires are within 1* and psi are all within 1 to 2 lbs of what they should be when cold.

Could this have something to do with the brakes?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
EngineerMike,

Readings came from TPMS by Truck System Technologies. Unfortunately, I don't have an infrared with me. Didn't appear to be a temp difference by touch but I was feeling more on tread than sidewall.
How do I check for brake drag?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #7

30 diff you could feel by hand pretty easily.
I'd check brake drag as indicated above, w/infrared thru the wheel holes or crawl under coach & infrared from behind for both rears to check for a diff. If you're looking at only 30, don't sweat it, but maybe check for the next few hundred miles. If you start getting 100 on the drums (diff) then get brakes serviced as that could be slack adjuster problem or something similar. The 30, if brakes, is telegraphed thru to wheels if you have internal banded-on sensors, so you will likely see more diff on the drums.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'll look for an infrared tomorrow. My sensors are not internal, they are screwed onto valve stem.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bob

Did you note the temp difference immediately on arrival? ...or after sitting for a few minutes?

I have the TST system on my coach. Sometimes I have noticed after sitting at a rest stop for a few minutes that one of my inner rear duals will be showing noticeably higher heat with normal pressures, much as you indicated. Within a minute or two of getting back on the road, the temps are back very close to the other tires. In my case, the hotter tend to be the curb side. On my coach, the diesel exhaust is on the curb side, also the hot water heater with engine aid water heating is immediately in front of the duals. I suspect those two things may be causing the TST sensor to read hotter when stopping after driving for awhile, and when I get back on the road those external heat sources do not affect the sensor. I have used an infrared thermometer for several years and have not noticed this differenc in actual tire temp using the infrared.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the first time I noticed it was after slides out , leveling and hookups. It took about 2 hrs for the temp (per the sensor) to fall in line with the others.

Prior to leaving in the morning, I switched that sensor with the outside sensor. Temps on all 6 sensors were close to each other. Nothing like the day before. My guess is that something may have been dragging/sticking but released after cooling overnight. Will keep an eye on it next time out.

Having observed this generates another question about PSI, but I'll ask that on another thread.

Thanks for the help with this problem.