Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My '08 Honda Odyssey has a Rearview Camera Display in the Rearview Mirror.

Look for most vehicles to come with rearview cameras in the future.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My '08 Honda Odyssey has a Rearview Camera Display in the Rearview Mirror. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like that.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Trade you for the Phaeton.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #19

Only need when the toad is hooked up. Drove trucks for years. Never needed a camera than. Just watch those mirrors.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use my mirrors all the time.

I use my Rear View Camera whenever the toad is connected to the RV. It is the only way I know the toad is still there. I can't feel the toad, nor see it in mirrors.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use mine for passing when the right lane vehicle is well back of my toad and out of camera range i move over
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #22

I use my rear view camera to keep track of traffic on both sides. When we first got our MH, I had my wife stand just at the edge of the camera range and tell me how far she was from the toad. This gives me an idea of how far a vehicle is from us on the right, the left, and behind us. It also keeps vehicles from sneaking up on me.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is what I thought. this service dept. has been good in every other respect, but perhaps they don's want to deal with this electronic part. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The dealer whose service department I use is exceptional. On occasion, I ask about something outside their expertise or shops ability to handle it. They never turn me down. They quote me a price that will make your pacemaker need new batteries, and tell me that I can get it done faster and cheaper somewhere else. They will usually tell me where that somewhere else is. Overall I'm very happy with them.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
60,000 in six years and ours is on all the time except at night. Can't turn the brightness down enough to still use it.

Have noticed on some roads the display appears to 'flash'. We learned the camera is very sensitive to the changes in the light / shadows as we drive and the monitor shows that as flash. Could that be what you are seeing? Just a thought.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:44 AM   #25

Zimectrin hit the nail on the head. What is happening is that, the camera is being "blinded by the light"! If the sun hits the camera lens just right or is even reflected by an aluminum sun shield you may have in the windshield of the Toad, the screen will flash.

The guy at the dealership that told you the camera should be on only when needed is an idiot.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't turn the brightness down enough to still use it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My unit has brightness & contrast controls along with a day/night setting. By adjusting both brightness & contrast I can usually compensate for the the sun's position and the shadows.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The guy at the dealership that told you the camera should be on only when needed is an idiot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul - you may a point there!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #27

dont use the camera full time. when the sun reflects off the toad it will burn the lens of the camera. the picture will become blurred or milky white. it took 11 years to ruin mine.
now i wish i had listened to the newmar rep.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #28

Grieve no more.Walmart is a source for replacement cameras that may last for another 11 years.Your investment may be no more than the price of an oil change on an 8.1!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote