Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #1

I have been having an intermittant problem on our 2006 Alpine. After completing a right turn the green right turn signal indicator sometimes stays on solid (no longer flashing)and the headlight bright light indicator illuminates. The only way to turn them off is to turn off the ignition. It only happens once out twenty or so turns. The left turn indicator is fine. I pulled the right turn signal bulbs and tested them with an ohm meter and they tested OK. Any ideas?
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #2

I have been having an intermittant problem on our 2006 Alpine. After completing a right turn the green right turn signal indicator sometimes stays on solid (no longer flashing)and the headlight bright light indicator illuminates. The only way to turn them off is to turn off the ignition. It only happens once out twenty or so turns. The left turn indicator is fine. I pulled the right turn signal bulbs and tested them with an ohm meter and they tested OK. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #3

Yep, find the relay for the turn signal. It sounds like it's sticking.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Check, even add good grounds for the dash cluster too.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Could be loose nuts Harold.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Well, now my two cents.. I'm not an electrician, but when my lights (read turn signals, cruise control) all started acting crazy, I took off the kick panel ahead of my co-pilot's seat, checked all the fuses, and found 2 that were blown. Replaced them, and VOILA', everything worked right. Must of been some kind of feed back through there. Don't know, only that it works now.

Just 2 cents worth...

Jim & Sandra, '03 38' FDTS; '00 Saturn S/W
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Just had a chance to look at my info on the Vansco wiring and see that the module seems to be after the flasher. LT, RT in and separate outputs for front, rear, back and front turn signal. This would explain why the turn signal could stay on steady and might explain why switching the ignition off and on might cure it for a while. Powering the main power to the module resets it, so an ignition reset might do the same to some extent. Sounds like a possible Vansco module starting to fail. I had one go bad and take out all of my out side running lights.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #8

In the old days, stuff acting funky like that usually meant a loose ground somewhere. Now with modern electronics they seem to do whatever it wants for no apparent reason and its hard to troubleshoot IC chip compared to a good ol relay.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #9

C&H - Have you noticed if the failure occurs when the signals are on longer? Try turning the signal on and leave it on for a couple minutes to see if it eventually stops flashing. While it is flashing, check the outside indicators to make sure they are in fact working correctly. If it fails, do the same with the left indicator to make sure the left doesn't fail under the same circumstances. Finally do it with the emergency flashers on. These tests are to help identify a short (low resistance) in one of the indicator circuits, a bad flasher, or resistance in the power line to the indicator panel.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #10

Thanks for the ideas. I'm currently parked at Outdoor Resort Indio and I can't duplicate the problem with the coach parked. It may require the steering wheel movement turning off the turn signal before it shows up. I'll watch for it on the trip home next week and hope it fails at place where I can pull over and check the lights. After posting this I also got a call from Chris at WRV. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.. Harold
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #11

Okay, Harold, inquiring minds want to know.....did you get this one solved and if so, what was it?

Lois & John
rosegramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #12

No. As of this time I still haven't found the gremblin... I called the WRV coach reps but they had no solid ideas. The problem never occured on the 600 mile return trip home. I haven't called Xantrex yet but might try that..
Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
We had a problem like this in our 2005. Our solution was to push together the connectors that are located on top of the gen set. This harness feeds the front bumper stuff like the lights, turn signals and such. There are two connector/plugs in the harness. Push them both together, hard. You cn do this even if the symptoms don't rear their ugly heads. Sure not going to hurt.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #14

I had a similar problem with blowing turn signal fuses. My brother took the turn signal control in the steering Wheel apart and found a bunch of shards (metal filings)

The fuse does blow but not so often now. We put a 30 amp fuse instead of the required 20. Of cource we pull a dingy with all the appropiate diodes which may be a factor.

If the problem gets worse we will take the directional control appart again and inspect for any more shards. Will also push the left head light turn signal cable mentioned above. Every once in awhile the left headlight will go off then come back on.

We have returned to Alaska for the summer and don't have the coach handy as it was left in Selah just north of Yakima.

Mike E. 2003 38' Alpine w/ suzuki dingy.
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote