Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Which do you use?
Turn water pump off while traveling (if remembered) 98 62.42%
Do not turn water pump off while traveling 51 32.48%
Turn water off while in campsite when leaving for extended periods of time 76 48.41%
Do not turn water off while in campsite when leaving for extended periods of time 61 38.85%
Turn propane off while travelling (if remembered) 15 9.55%
Do not turn propane off while traveling 115 73.25%
Too much ado about nothing 25 15.92%
Retract awning when leaving for an extended period 95 60.51%
Do not retract awning when leaving for an extended period 8 5.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We always try to keep the water pump off when traveling. The one time that it got left on, thanks to my mother-in-law who was traveling with us, resulted in a full gray tank and an about to overflow shower pan. Apparently one of the coach eating potholes on I-40 in Arkansas bumped the shower cold water handle down enough to cause a substantial drip. Couldn't hear the pump cycling because of road noise. Made a believer out of me.

Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
UMM...maybe I am missing something but the only way I think a connected hose in sunlight could burst from the heat is if both the city water valve on the coach and the water supply valve are closed. If either one is open, I don't think pressure can build up.
If you turn on the hydrant, the water will create pressure through out the whole RV plumbing system, including the connecting hose. By turning the water off at the hydrant, no more water will flow into the system, so a momentary opening of any faucet will bleed off the pressure. That way, in a bright sun, the hose won't expand. We have high water pressure at home, over the years we've had hoses burst when left on in sunlight hooked to our house.

Since no one is in the RV when we're away from it, why leave it pressurized?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Our water pump is on when we first need it when we leave the house, and it stays on during traveling as the DW uses it from time to time, just as I do for breaks. When parked, water always off when we leave the Coach. Water off in the house when we leave......... but on all day while we are at work? If one could see/read the future.........these type of subjects would not need discussed Things fail..........no way to predict when.
As the old saying goes........It is not "If" it going to fail, the question is "When" it is going to fail............
How many shut the water off before going to bed.....? When in a park? or boondocking?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #18

I shut it off. Mr. Murphy keeps close tabs on me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:26 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Water off if we leave the CG. Pump on only when needed at that moment, rest of time alway off. Had one run continuously once for some reason and burn itself out, never again. Propane on while driving for fridge but, I'm rethinking that and still on the fence... Awning in? I watch the weather and stake it down always. If it's going to be windy, we're out, it's in and the same at night. Old and paranoid? No just don't want to damage the unit because I was lazy and did not take the time to be cautious.
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
UMM...maybe I am missing something but the only way I think a connected hose in sunlight could burst from the heat is if both the city water valve on the coach and the water supply valve are closed. If either one is open, I don't think pressure can build up.
It will pressure the system as well if only the water supply valve is shut off. If the valve on the coach is open the pressure created in the supply hose will pressure the entire system in the coach. Because a liquid is incompressible a 10 or 15 lb pressure in the hose will mean all of the lines (and fittings) in the coach have increased pressure as well.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It will pressure the system as well if only the water supply valve is shut off. If the valve on the coach is open the pressure created in the supply hose will pressure the entire system in the coach. Because a liquid is incompressible a 10 or 15 lb pressure in the hose will mean all of the lines (and fittings) in the coach have increased pressure as well.
Hi Gordon, I am thinking (my) Watts pressure regulator will control this condition........and not allow the pressure to rise.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Gordon, I am thinking (my) Watts pressure regulator will control this condition........and not allow the pressure to rise.
If you are really concerned about the expansion, when you turn off the hose bib, go to your outdoor shower head and give it a squirt.

I think you are right on the watts regulator too.... I put our on the end of the hose where it attaches to the bib, so the hose is pressurized at 40 psi .. if it heats up and the pressure increases in the hose, it wil still be well under the working pressure of the MH fittings.

I am one that most always turns off the bib when leaving. I have seen a couple RV's with water pouring out the door while the owners were away.
We had an incident several years ago where we had a faucet in the bathroom that wasn't completely shut off... just a few drips coming out, of course we didn't notice. When we got back from the races 10-12 hours later, water was coming up through the shower. Fortunately , we caught it just as it was starting to overflow. Since then, I turn off the water when leaving.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have always had water pump on or off in any of our Newmars never a problem either way would still do the same.
One thing I did change was leaving the water line on when leaving the coach in camp ground when someone left the cold faucet on low in sink and water overflowed out of tub on to floor on return from day of site seeing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For us, the systems are on associated to our proximity....on when we are there - off when we are gone.
It's the basic rules for boating because shore ties can sink or toast a boat

If we're in the coach, the systems are on. When we leave for any errand (could run long) the water and waterheater are off.

To keep the waterheater from trying to heat air, the waterpump is on while driving.

The LPG is only off for storage. Modern tanks reportedly have an internal safety valve in addition to the regulator to prevent a uncontrolled release...and the tank is open to the street, so since propane is heavier than air...

We kill the city water at the studs and stucco house when away in the RV too.

That's just how we play it safe, 'cuz flood damage is reported to be the #1 most expensive insurance claim in homes...and a water leak can "Total" a RV

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:04 AM   #25

I've had a flood in the basement of my coach once while travelling with the pump on. It stays off now unless it's needed. I've turned the city water off if we're on a hookup if we're going to be away for any length of time
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:15 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we leave our stick house, the hot water tank and the water pressure are both turned off.

We do the same thing when we leave our coach, and when we drive our coach.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Propane off while travelling. Water pump off unless someone need to use the rest room then we turn it on to flush the back off.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #28
doc

Appalachian Campers
As a point of information - while in Tampa area a few years back, we returned from the RV show the coach parked next to us had water pouring from the underside and near the wet bay. He was on park water and apparently something turn loose or break while he was gone and water had run until it was standing in the street (we were parked on grass)
I turned the water off at the park connection for him. Neither he nor the lady ever thanked us or said 'go to he77' or anything. Hope it was not flooding inside the coach but at least he could have acknowledged we helped.
Things can break even when sitting alone by themselves

Tags
travel