Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
SIZE DOES MATTER! Stop listening to the DW, when you are throwing around 15-20 tons of American Metal, it is your dance to choreograph. If you have signaled a right turn, and you have to take most of the left lane to accomplish this, then just do it! Any motorcycles, small cars, or other road detritus that tries to squeeze in that right lane deserves what they get!. That said, if you drive that rig with conviction, people will give way! There is no room for "mamby pamby" on today's roads.(Caveat - I learned to drive on the mean streets of Boston, where the weak do not survive. Might be a bit bold for Kansas City, but it has served me well over my 55 years.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1skier - Please post travel itinerary often so I can go the other direction. Ninja, Darwinian driving / turning technique may work well for you, but my attitude is I know where I'm going, in no hurry to get there, and my size makes me more cautious than bold and aggressive. Besides, there are enough folks in cars driving aggressively. I don't need to join them with my 35k pounds. Apologies if I misunderstood.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
1skier - Please post travel itinerary often so I can go the other direction. Ninja, Darwinian driving / turning technique may work well for you, but my attitude is I know where I'm going, in no hurry to get there, and my size makes me more cautious than bold and aggressive. Besides, there are enough folks in cars driving aggressively. I don't need to join them with my 35k pounds. Apologies if I misunderstood.
I see where Skier was coming from.
Maybe not aggresively, but don't be meek about it. Confident, but not offensive. If that makes sense. Show others that you know what you are doing, and are going to do it, and don't be iffey or unsure.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #18

That's not Photoshopped. I take up two half-lanes and signal well in advance to lessen the chance of someone making a mistake. If they ever do, I know where my air horn button is.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #19

Occasionally I'm able to time my right turn to swing wide into the opposing lane of the street I'm turning on to. If I see an opening in the opposing lane I usually go for it.
However, I will not be careless about others coming up beside me. My destination is not important enough to give them "what they deserve."
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #20

My biggest fear is someone coming out of the street I'm turning onto. I can make it, but have to pay more attention so I don't hop a curb with a trailer wheel. I have had people courteously back up to allow me more room.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I will plan on it! Maybe if I can get everyone else thinking the same way, I would have NO traffic congestion! But do not misread the post - I also am in no hurry (usually), and am not zooming around. Just confident that my rig's size (60' with towed, 12 1/2' tall and 8 1/2' wide) enables me to impose my directional will on those individuals that do not appreciate the concept of a wide turning radius or Newton's Second Law of Physics: F = ma. (And my "m" almost always prevails!)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skier

I will plan on it! Maybe if I can get everyone else thinking the same way, I would have NO traffic congestion! But do not misread the post - I also am in no hurry (usually), and am not zooming around. Just confident that my rig's size (60' with towed, 12 1/2' tall and 8 1/2' wide) enables me to impose my directional will on those individuals that do not appreciate the concept of a wide turning radius or Newton's Second Law of Physics: F = ma. (And my "m" almost always prevails!)
I took my cues from your words
SIZE DOES MATTER! Stop listening to the DW, .... throwing around 15-20 tons of American Metal ...... your dance to choreograph..... just do it! Any motorcycles, small cars, or others deserves what they get!...... people will give way..... no room for "mamby pamby"..... mean streets of Boston.... weak do not survive.

The ratio of bravado to driving advice seemed skewed pretty much in one direction. Like I said - apologies if I misread. Personally I find other drivers seem to get it with the exception being an overly aggressive driver overcompensating for something, I know not what, and driving like they own the road.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #23

Driving a big rig doesn't give anyone the right to run someone off the road. I have a 30' class A and do ride a motorcycle .I would feel terrible if I hit a biker or a small car and hurt someone just because they made a mistake of trying to pass on the right. Sure they are wrong but they don't deserve to be injured. I feel that I must be more careful while driving my MH.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #24

Take a look at a CDL manual. There's a section that covers the proper method of making a right turn whether it's with a semi, bus, straight truck, or straight truck pulling a trailer.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs
Take a look at a CDL manual. There's a section that covers the proper method of making a right turn whether it's with a semi, bus, straight truck, or straight truck pulling a trailer.
Ok.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #26

If you don't swing left far enough before turning right, you'll end up in the left (oncoming) traffic lane at the completion of the turn, not good.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Without a lot of time behind the wheel of something as big as a class a, I still have large body of memory to draw from. I am in the million mile + club in an auto and watching the hundreds of tractor trailers make all the maneuvers I now have to do really helps me " see " what I need to do.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote