Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

TV Replacement

I would like to replace an older TV in our bedroom with a HDTV flat panel TV. The older TV is mounted in a cabinet 21 1/2" wide and 18 1/2" height and 18" deep.
Does anyone know of a TV mount that can be secured to the base of the cabinet. All I have seen are mounts that are designed to be secured to a wall.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I don't think you will find one. The rear tv replacement is the easier of the two RV tv's when you use a plywood panel to fill in the old hole. I made my panel fit the inside behind the frame and mounted it to the backside using screws and wood caps from the front. Then added the tilt tv hardware. I stained the plywood to match the cabinetry. It's likely your situation would take either a 24" or 26" flat screen.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I don't think you will find one. The rear tv replacement is the easier of the two RV tv's when you use a plywood panel to fill in the old hole. I made my panel fit the inside behind the frame and mounted it to the backside using screws and wood caps from the front. Then added the tilt tv hardware. I stained the plywood to match the cabinetry. It's likely your situation would take either a 24" or 26" flat screen.

Although done in my 5th wheel RV, I did the same thing as dogpatch. Not only was I able to mount a 48 inch flat panel TV, I created a neat "hide away" storage cabinet behind it where the old tube type used to fit. I'll see if I can get some pictured posted after while when I get back to do so.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most new TV's come with the table pedestal. If your new TV fits in the original space, you can mount the pedestal to the shelf...maybe you will need to add some material to extend the shelf?

If you want to go to a bigger TV, then I think the ideas already stated will be your only path, since "table mounts" for flat screens seem to only work up to 21" screens
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #5

Check Amazon for under cabinet tv mounts. I used one to mount my 24" LED tv in the bedroom. Only cost $14 and works perfectly. Simply mount upside down.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

I welded up a bracket that mounted to the sides of the cabinet and used a telescoping mount from Best Buy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4411.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	23899

And then I use a length of velcro strap to hold in position during motion:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4413.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	23900

The strap is at the bottom of the TV.

When mounting the bracket for the LCD TVs, you probably want to be able to tilt the TV down, so the bracket should have about 10 degree tilt to it. The telescoping bracket allows about 15 degrees. This picture is of my front TV, but I did basically the same in the bedroom. A lot of people have made new cabinets, but in the case of the TV pictured, I got the widest I could mount and still open the cabinets. It actually could have been a larger TV, since the bracket makes it pretty easy to move and open cabinets. I believe the telescoping mount was around $100 and I had the metal in the shop.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #7

I just replaced the bedroom TV with a 24 inch LED flat panel tv from AMAZON. It only cost $149 it was a "TLC" brand?. However, it is a 1080p, has multiple RCA and HDMI inputs, decent sound and an outstanding picture and setup. The stand is fixed and can be put into the cabinet at an angle then set upright once inside the cabinet. I secured the tv on the bottom of the cabinet with a wrap around wire on the base secured by two small screws on the bottom of the cabinet. For the top of the tv to secure the minimal rocking I attached another wire from the rear mount holes, where I put in two supplied screws and then attached the wire to the cabinet latch on the cabinet.. Now all very secure. BTW, this TV is not VESA mount capable so don't waste your money on a VESA mounting bracket as I did which wouldn't have worked anyway for the same reason you gave in that you can't mount it from the bottom of the cabinet anyway.
I also made a metal u bracket for a small DVD player (about 9 inches wide) and mounted it under the cabinet to the right of the light. One hole for wiring had to be made for the DVD player wires to the tv and power.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some bedroom conversions.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
For both front and back I cut a plywood fill for the hole left. Made the plywood a little short both directions glued and tacked a rug fiber(Black with gray in it) to the plywood around the edges to the back except the top. Then piano hinged to the top the cabinet with a latch at the bottom. Now I have a nice looking door for the space behind. Used a tilt mount for the new TV's from Wallie world. Good looking and have the storage from the old TV mounting area.

LEN
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #10

I purchased 1/4 in black plexiglas for the top and bottom fillers. Polished the edges and cut out a notch for the ir remote. For the bedroom tv, just a 22 inch led, stand and all in the cabinet with a tie down at the top and bottom to keep it stable.

Tags
replacement