Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

ujoints zerks or no zerks Pros/Cons

What are the pros and cons of each.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
zerts = zerks

All my MH joints have zerks as does the driveshaft slip joint as I mentioned to you on another forum. Each U-joint has two zerks, so there a five total on our driveshaft.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
zerts = zerks

as I mentioned to you on another forum. Each U-joint has two zerks, so there a five total on our driveshaft.
-------------------------------------

really?
What other forum?
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I'd think for a heavy duty application such as a motorhome you would want them so you can grease them or have them greased - Just my personal opinion.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

In hot-rodding circles, u-joints with grease fittings are sometimes avoided because some feel the fittings and grease channels will weaken the joints and cause breakage failures. I'd hardly think that likely in conventional non-performance usage, and certainly prefer u-joints I can grease...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

There are pros and cons to each style. While those with ZERK fittings allow the joint to be lubed at maintenance intervals they are also at the mercy of the mechanic doing the job. Most guys want to pump the grease in until they hear it crack as it breaks the seals in the boots. This act in itself shortens the life of the joint by creating a path for the grease to escape at high speeds.

The non greasable styles are not subject to this abuse and could potentially last longer because of it. They however cannot be lubed when needed and will fail should the factory preset amount of lubrication be insufficient.

Over the years I've replaced hundreds of both styles. I can't say that one style has lasted appreciably longer than the other. In both cases they're moving parts. Moving parts wear, and parts that wear eventually fail.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #7

There WAS a time when a consumer could trust that factory greased and sealed joints were properly lubed at the factory - but it seems those days are long gone, as minimum wage droids are now on the assembly lines spending more time watching the clock for break time than paying attention to their assigned duties.

Case in point, trucks like my '02 Dodge/Cummins use pre-greased and sealed ball joints and tie-rod ends - and commonly fail at 20-30 K miles - and often, close inspection reveals they are completely dry of lube inside - probably were straight from the assembly line!

On my truck, I use a hypodermic needle fitting on my grease gun, pierce the joint boot, and grease all my joints every several thousand miles. 70K miles on them so far - and still as solid and tight as new!

NOW, some will rush in to claim that piercing the boots will allow contaminants - water, dirt, etc., in and compromise the effective sealing of the joints - BUT, as I said, mine are doing well at 70K miles - and let's not forget, the older style non-sealed and greasable joints were ALSO effectively open to the elements - and they all seemed to last quite well, as long as they WERE greased regularly...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The u joints on my Camaro are solid.
The ones on my motorhome are not.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
There WAS a time when a consumer could trust that factory greased and sealed joints were properly lubed at the factory - but it seems those days are long gone, as minimum wage droids are now on the assembly lines spending more time watching the clock for break time than paying attention to their assigned duties.

Case in point, trucks like my '02 Dodge/Cummins use pre-greased and sealed ball joints and tie-rod ends - and commonly fail at 20-30 K miles - and often, close inspection reveals they are completely dry of lube inside - probably were straight from the assembly line!
Having delivered to the auto plants for 30 years I agree with your assessment of the line workers but now days all these "sub assemblies" are delivered ready to install on the vehicle and the line worker just bolts it on and don't grease anything..... As far as "minimum wage droids" these people make pretty good money for what they do !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
As far as "minimum wage droids" these people make pretty good money for what they do !
Well, they used to earn somewhere over $75,000 a year which I only earned once in my life. This year my wife earned far more though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I worked on my sons Weekend Warrior suspension and discovered that none of the grease fillings had ever been greased.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
One way to look at it is, if there are zerk fittings the ujoints have a chance of getting greased, no zerk fitting and there's an almost zero chance any of the ujoints will ever see new grease... This is the way things have been going for a number of years, lubed for life means lubed until just before it fails....
Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
well, that pretty much determines the "life" of the joint. as soon as it fails, it's dead.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
well, that pretty much determines the "life" of the joint. as soon as it fails, it's dead.

Yep ! Planed obsolescence .......