Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ultra Leather Repair

Does anyone know of a product which can be used to repair the Ultra leather which is in 90% of our MH's? My sofa has a spot about 3" x 5" on which the outer part of the material has been scratched off. The backing is still there. Any help is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Does anyone know of a product which can be used to repair the Ultra leather which is in 90% of our MH's? My sofa has a spot about 3" x 5" on which the outer part of the material has been scratched off. The backing is still there. Any help is appreciated.
Just from experience, we just got rid of an Ultra Leather couch because of the quality and condition, (didn't like the way it felt) and was told by a local shop it was very difficult to "repair" Ultra Leather since it is not real leather, but a synthetic leather.

Good luck,

2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Offshore; We had a small tear in an armrest (less than 1/8x1/4 inch) from a dog's toenail. Tried the "Permatex" Vinyl and leather repair kit. (Autoparts store) Hard to mix and match the exact color and the repair is heat activated, after several tries it is still slightly noticable. (But it's not a hole)
An large area would be very difficult to do. Heat is applied to a "grain paper" to cure the repair and impart a matching grain. It may be worth a try before replacing the fabric. Permatex - Pro Shop
You may be able to find someone in your area that does this professionally. (See above post?)

Good luck..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Check with the local auto dealers for who they use to do repairs. Also large furniture stores.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can make a stylish patch from Duck-tape and put a matching patch on the other side.

ken
Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There are quite a few leather & vinyl repair kits available and all work moderately well if the damage isn't too bad. I've used a clear sealer I bought at Lowes on our Ultraleather, to prevent a tiny crack or hole from spreading. Don't remember the brand name. Ultraleather does not seem to be any different for repair purposes than other "leather" surfaces, few of which are actually leather anymore and haven't been for the last 30+ years. Leather just doesn't hold up well as upholstery without a lot of care.

Google "vinyl repair" or "leather repair" and you will find lots of choices.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Duck tape to the rescue, I should have bought duck tape stock. Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I told my wife to through a pillow over the spot and no one will know the difference.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #8

And what was your reply when you picked yourself up off of the floor?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ultraleather is a polyurethane product. I don't know how well vinyl repair kits will work on it.
You might want to check their web site ultraleather home page for contact info and see what they recommend.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I was getting up from the floor I said "yes dear" and kept my mouth shut.