Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Un-lighted grab bar

The grab bar on our coach has never worked since we bought it previously owned. I took it off and sure enough it is wired, has 12V to it when the porch light is on but I see no resistance toward the light. My question is how do you get the bulb out? The two wires disappear into a hole inside with no screws or bolts I can see. It is tempting to just yank on the wires but I am afraid that will ruin whatever housing is in there.
Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grabbar.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	40341  

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mine's a different brand coach, but mine comes apart by pulling both chrome ends off of the lighted center piece.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Mine's a different brand coach, but mine comes apart by pulling both chrome ends off of the lighted center piece.
Thanks Don. I kind of felt stupid when I read this but think Winnebago glued the ends on. I gave it a crank and no go. Guess if I'm stuck I can call Winnebago during the week and ask.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
You were right Don. I called Winnebago and they said the same thing. A couple of taps with a rubber mallet convinced it. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's always good to ask, you never know, Winnebago could have made it so that you had to twist and release or something.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
The grab bar on our coach has never worked since we bought it previously owned. I took it off and sure enough it is wired, has 12V to it when the porch light is on but I see no resistance toward the light. My question is how do you get the bulb out? The two wires disappear into a hole inside with no screws or bolts I can see. It is tempting to just yank on the wires but I am afraid that will ruin whatever housing is in there.
Photo attached.

Hope you are able to get it working. Your grab bar looks very similar to the one on my 2005 Airstream 396 XL with the clear plastic type handle. But I didn't think it had a light but maybe the bulb is just out. How did you get the handle off on mine there are no viable screws. I might take a look at mine.

Thanks

Name:	AS-awn.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	40495
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Hope you are able to get it working. Your grab bar looks very similar to the one on my 2005 Airstream 396 XL with the clear plastic type handle. But I didn't think it had a light but maybe the bulb is just out. How did you get the handle off on mine there are no viable screws. I might take a look at mine.

Thanks

Attachment 40495
Don, Our handle has 8 screws sticking right out so ours was easy to remove. Winnebago did not use stainless steel so one of broke off but vise grips removed what was left. Is it possible your handle has some kind of decorative cover over the screws?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Don, Our handle has 8 screws sticking right out so ours was easy to remove. Winnebago did not use stainless steel so one of broke off but vise grips removed what was left. Is it possible your handle has some kind of decorative cover over the screws?
Thanks I am going storage tomorrow and take a look and I will follow up on what I find out.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks I am going storage tomorrow and take a look and I will follow up on what I find out.
I was bale to pop off the covers on both ends and found that there is no light bulb or wires. So this garb handle was installed as non lighted.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
I was able to pop off the covers on both ends and found that there is no light bulb or wires. So this garb handle was installed as non lighted.
It looks like this could be lighted but for some reason was not. Here is a picture of the base with the cover off and it looks like a bulb similar to the one shown in the link below might fit and could be wired to the porch lite switch. Maybe someone has done something like this. It would be nice to have a lighted grab bar.

Name:	grab1.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	40544

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190630046835...84.m1439.l2649

Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Don.....In 2005, Monaco did not light their grab handles at the Diplomat level. You had to buy a Camelot or above. I tried various LED's years ago to make the light look/work right. After spending about $30.00 on LED's, I found Monaco sold the darn bulb for about $10.00. I installed it by drilling through the wall to the arm console inside where I picked up power from the step well lights. The bulb I eventually bought was almost identical to the one in your link. It should work well, just make sure you have a way to pick up power.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
adonh, the bulb in your link looks just like the one that I found in our handle also. The bulb itself is burned out as I can see 12V to the resistor, 3.5 out but nothing after the bulb.

Diplomat Don, What kind of LEDs did you try? I'm eying one at Rat Shack that is already 12V so no resistor and it is green to match the RV. Just wondering if it has enough power to light up the handle. It is only $2.49 so I might just try it anyway. Maybe two if both will fit.

If that won't work I will buy one of the ones adonh is looking at and maybe some green plastic for a lens.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mark......I tried green because my coach is green, but it didn't look good. LED's were still a new thing back then and I tried multiple LED's to get the right intensity. It was a lot of wasted time and money. The one linked above worked just right.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Mark......I tried green because my coach is green, but it didn't look good. LED's were still a new thing back then and I tried multiple LED's to get the right intensity. It was a lot of wasted time and money. The one linked above worked just right.
Thanks for the feed back, I ordered 2 of these. I have the coach in my local RV shop now for service and they said they could install this for me based on what they have seen on other coaches. What does the 12v power connect to in order to turn turn this on, the porch light, the step. Thanks